Too little of Arwen 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Just right! ;) 49%  49%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject: Re: Too much of Arwen?
PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 10:52 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hanasian wrote:

I think there was just the right amount of Arwen in Return of the King (the coronation).
:happy:

Ditto!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 7:45 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Hanasian wrote:
[color=silver]... I wrote a fanfic screenplay I think is better, ...

:lol: Point taken. My "ideal" LoTR movie would, I think obviously (?), not resemble a fanfic. :no:
I am probably thinking of the three levels of RPs in CoE, with their decreasing degree of faithfulness to "canon". This is based of fuzzy memory, as I do not participate in the RPs, but in my early time on CoE I browsed many threads to get a feel for them. I remember some occasionally heated exchanges as to what was acceptable on what level ... :argue:

No question that parts of the book are close to impossible to transfer to a movie one-to-one, and every solution would have some factions of the book purists grumbling. I just do not see any realistic way of getting Arwen more screen time in a version faithful to the book. Sewing Aragorn's banner? I think even needlepoint freaks would tire quickly. :yawn:

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 7:59 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gandolorin wrote:
Hanasian wrote:
... I wrote a fanfic screenplay I think is better, ...

:lol: Point taken. My "ideal" LoTR movie would, I think obviously (?), not resemble a fanfic. :no:
I am probably thinking of the three levels of RPs in CoE, with their decreasing degree of faithfulness to "canon". This is based of fuzzy memory, as I do not participate in the RPs, but in my early time on CoE I browsed many threads to get a feel for them. I remember some occasionally heated exchanges as to what was acceptable on what level ... :argue:

No question that parts of the book are close to impossible to transfer to a movie one-to-one, and every solution would have some factions of the book purists grumbling. I just do not see any realistic way of getting Arwen more screen time in a version faithful to the book. Sewing Aragorn's banner? I think even needlepoint freaks would tire quickly. :yawn:

... and that is the conundrum. The only way to bring Arwen into the tale on a movie is to make it some sort of fanfic by someone's mind. The only way I think it could be done and stay close to true is to have dream sequences that Aragorn has flashing back.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 9:31 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Hanasian wrote:
... The only way I think it could be done and stay close to true is to have dream sequences that Aragorn has flashing back.

Perhaps here the scene in "Many Partings" near the Gates of Moria, where Gandalf, the Hobbits, and Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn with their respective retinues stay for seven days before the Lórien group head off towards the Redhorn Gate and the Dimrill Stair:

"Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labors in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro."

That Arwen also has this ability seem clear to me. Aragorn is of course separated from his uncle Elrond by 64 human generations following Elros. But Aragorn is also seen as something of a throwback to the old kings of Númenor (much the same is said of Denethor on a lower plane, him being less mingled than others), so perhaps more of such an ability resides within him. I mean, wrenching the Orthanc Palantir from Sauron's control makes Aragorn superior to Saruman the Maia in this respect (that Palantir scene is another one PJ blew sky-high: dude, Aragorn kicks Sauron's butt, not the other way around!!!) :karate:

And last, in TA 2980, Arwen and Aragorn plight their troth on Cerin Amroth in Lórien, a "'til death do us part" pledge of the most serious sort. Aragorn was 49 by then, and it had been 29 years since their first meeting, and Aragorn had been places, nasty ones among them, for the preceding 23 years. He had also met and befriended Gandalf, and had served in disguise both kings Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor. So though probably the abilities mentioned above were far stronger in Arwen, their intense bond could have made some sort of communication at a distance possible. Perhaps the "dream-sequences" as shown in the movie are not that far off the mark - but they would certainly not be Aragorn's internal dreams in my scenario, but the link that exists between Arwen and himself, just not possible during waking.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 11:20 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I liked the dream sequence bits, but I did not like the Arwen leaving part. That was unfaithful and against everything their relationship stood for.

However, the dream sequence were nice for a couple reasons:
1. It really highlights the beauty and faithfulness of their romance. Like someone said earlier, they had been in love for a long time before this, with only brief and infrequent meetings through the years. Their faithfulness to each other is incredible!

2. It definitely adds to Aragorn's motivation and character when we see this deep and beautiful love between them.

As for the fanfiction complaints, there a few places where Aragorn mentions that his " heart lies in Rivendell." I think it's ok to flesh that bit out a little.

However, I do not really approve of Arwen replacing Glorfindel, but I sort of understand why they did it that way: because they were too lazy to create a Glorfindel or any other minor character except Haldir. There could have been a cool fight scene with Glorfindel and the Nazgul when he drives them off the last bridge where Aragorn finds the Beryl stone. They could have done it, but they didn't want to. :grr:

Also, the whole Arwen-is-connected- to-the-ring-and she's-dying-and-the-evenstar-shattered is complete rubbish. I hate that part.

Yeah, let's confine Arwen to dream sequences and her wedding.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2022, 11:34 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

watch ‘NCIS: Los Angeles’ season 14 in UK The second instalment in the NCIS franchise, 'NCIS: Los Angeles,' is a spin-off from the original police procedural series, 'NCIS.' This television show is an action drama, a police procedural, and a military drama all rolled into one. Season 14 of 'NCIS: Los Angeles' is now available in the UK, launching on Paramount Plus on October 9.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2023, 8:22 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Héalic wrote:
Yeah, let's confine Arwen to dream sequences and her wedding.

What about the thirty ranger strippers at Arwen's bachelorette party? :lol:

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW