Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you think there was:
Too much of Arwen 49%  49%  [ 22 ]
Too little of Arwen 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Just right! ;) 49%  49%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 7:21 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I absolutely agree with you, Johnny's Fan!!

And it's true that Tolkien regarded Arwen as a very important part of the telling of LotR, because she represented Lúthien Tinuviel in a way.
And as the Lúthien/Beren story was the most important story to him, I think he would have wanted Arwen to appear in the movies. Probably not exactly the way PJ did, but I think it would've pleased him.

I always thought that bringing in more of Arwen/Aragorn was kind of a dedication to Tolkien, as I said before the telling of Lúthien and Beren was the most important to him(as well as Aragorn/Arwen during LotR), because Lúthien was inspired by his wife Edith, who once, while they were walking through a forest sang and danced for him, that's how Lúthien actually was invented. She was supposed to Edith, who he obviously thought of as a very strong woman and as Arwen is pretty much just another Lúthien I thought it was nice to bring her in, as they couldn't bring in Lúthien and Beren. To me it seemed like they wanted to do something that showed how much they wanted to please Tolkien and how much they respected him.

Just my opinion though...

Note for those who didn't know:
Edith died before Tolkien himself and on her gravestone he let them write "Lúthien" and when he died on his gravestone was written "Beren".

Just a very sweet story that shows how much people can love each other and that his stories weren't just stories, but reflections of what had really happened to him or the people he knew.

Thought you probably wanted to know, if you didn't already! :happy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2008, 8:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, it's not that I don't like her (quite the contrary, she's one of my favorite characters) but I think that her character in the movie was exaggerated. It's true that her relationship gives us an insight about the elves, but their relationship, in reality is an anomaly - only one of three in all the ages. Anyway, although she is a wonderful person and her love and willingness is unwavering, she was still overplayed in the movies. (Still love her though)

Wife of Beren

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 11:10 pm 
Elf
Elf

the merry and pippin stuff were downright boring. And I think that Arwen's involvment as is was better than the filmmakers putting her in at Helm's Deep.

She became one of my favorite characters in the film, and I'm glad they gave her more screen time because frankly, the films needed SOMEBODY to alleviate the darkness. How you can say that she has more screen time than Merry and Pippin is weird to me. Really, she had maybe thirty extra seconds in the EE. ROTK she had no extended scenes.

sheesh, if you don't like something, stop watching it. and stop griping. It annoys me when people gripe about something like that when they have the ability to stop watching them. :disgust: The books are good in and of themselves but the films reached out to an audience who hadn't read the books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2008, 7:19 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I second that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2008, 12:14 pm 
Elf
Elf

I didn't care for the way they portrayed Arwen, but I think they could have pulled off the scenes better if they had put them in different places, and not right next to the Eowyn scenes, that's just tacky, and not bunched them all up in one lump.

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 8:39 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I have to agree that 5there was probablytoo much of her int ehmovie....

I didn't like that they sent her to save frodo either since it wasn't her in the book. *glares*

But yeah... I guess she is kind of critical to the story so she obviously had to be in there some... I just thing they tried tomake her more of a main character than she was suposed to be originally.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2008, 3:45 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

well i agree with johnny's fan about the seeing culture of elves, and so u can see them leavign and everything, and about aragorn with seeing what all of this reallymeans for him.. Also, for one thing (ok ppl i know this is from return of the king just bear with me) in return of the king it shows how her life lies within the hope of middle earth. it just makes the stakes higher for that.. i voted for just right

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2008, 12:13 am 
Elf
Elf

Jax Nova wrote:
I have to agree that 5there was probablytoo much of her int ehmovie....

I didn't like that they sent her to save frodo either since it wasn't her in the book. *glares*

But yeah... I guess she is kind of critical to the story so she obviously had to be in there some... I just thing they tried tomake her more of a main character than she was suposed to be originally.

honestly, I don't think people would really like Glorfendil *sp?*; I think the main reason Arwen rescued Frodo was to be introduced. If I remember correctly, the first time we see her in the books was at that dinner, which thankfully was cut from the film! and to be honest, it looks *or would look* a bit ridiculous for Frodo to ride that huge horse all alone. I daresay it would've been laughable for the audience not familiar with the book.

Now, I know that there are avid fans of the book, which is fine. I read the books before I saw the films. *Mainly because I wasn't allowed to see the films until Dec. '04* I liked the books IN AND OF THEMSELVES. Some content just wasn't very adaptable. Be very thankful and happy for the amount of book material in the films. PJ did a great job of translating all that material onto film in a way that I think kept the spirit of the book but kept it interesting for an audience who didn't read the books.

Arwen was fine the way she is\was. Thank goodness they axed the decision to have her in at Helm's deep. THAT alone would've sunk the trilogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2008, 12:14 am 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

-slinks in- Glorfindel is amazing!!! Althought it would have been hard to explain his story in the movies... but my husband is still the best -slinks out-

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject: Re: Too much of Arwen?
PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A great deal of the story was taken from the Appendices less than the actual book itself. In the books she wasn't really a presence at all so much as sort of... kinda there. Where she was made sense. The sentance or two she took up in the books was more of a scene with Aragorn rather than with Arwen. And she is an importent, but not a spotlight character (like Elrond and Galadreil. Impotent but only in little bits if you think of how long the story is, and he expanded their parts as well).

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:07 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

i haven't read the book but i think that it wasn't really too much, her character and role in the movie was for the audience to understand the elves more and of course to make better understanding of her relationship with Aragorn. :)

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 9:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

I know Arwen didn't appear much in the books, but I think PJ's idea of expanding her character in the movie was a good one. It added more colour to Aragorn's plotline so it's not too singly focused on his self realisation and quest to become king.
And about the Ford of Bruinen scene, maybe PJ thought it would be too much for the audience to digest if another character is to be introduced, especially since Glorfindel kinda had a very complicated past... It would be hard to explain how he could just "scare off" the Nazgul by his presence.

Nai andúnë elen
Siluva lyenna,
Nai írë mornië lanta
Órelya nauva sanda.

~Sírelindë~

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 7th, 2012, 7:57 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Agreed. Merry and Pippin seemed to fade into more minor than they were intended. Especially since they played such a large part in the seige of Isengard.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2012, 5:47 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Too much Liv Tyler.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 8:54 am 
Istari
Istari

I would have liked to see more of Merry and Pippin, but
a) they needed to better establish Arwen and Aragorn's relationship and
b) it wouldn't have made sense to introduce Arwen in FotR and then drop her until RotK.
It works in the books, but it wouldn't have made sense in the movies.

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 12:06 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think he could have cut some of the scenes to show things that were actually relevent like how they met (we would get a glimpse into Aragorn's past as well as know why he has to retake the kingdom and defeat Sauron), and maybe even the end to show that they were faithful to each other even in death. But that's just me...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next