Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 6:50 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

I'm not sure what to think about this change.

On the one hand, I understand how it was necessary for PJ to alter the plot in that way. The audience never would have gotten to see Osgiliath otherwise, until it is overrun far into the third movie. They might not have been aware of Faramir's position in the defense of Osgiliath, and, further even, of Minas Tirith. They might not have understood Faramir's conflict to be a 'good son', to live up to and replace Boromir. So, the changes are reasonable.

On the other hand, though, because of this the book-Faramir and the movie-Faramir are two very different persons. Faramir in the book realized the importance of Frodo's mission, and how it was more crucial than him bringing the One Ring to his father. He let Frodo go, and did not mistreat and capture and drag him to Osgiliath. So, these two Faramirs are not alike at all.

Post subject: Re: What did they DO to Faramir???
PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 2:40 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think the change is fine. The main reason why I think so is because the movie is based on the books, therefore changes are to be expected. Some things had to be changed to give the story the same meaning and that is fine in my opinion. Besides, Faramir still came off as a noble man overall. It's like as if they turned him into an orc. ;)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 2:02 am 
Istari
Istari

I think the Faramir changes were good. it's not as if Faramir changed a whole lot. Peter Jackson knew what he was doing - his changes added suspense to the plot that didn't distract. Faramir came off just as likeable. :)

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 5:21 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think they way they portried him in the movie is fine. Since he does start out as kinda impulsive and skeptical (and maybe even selfish) it gives room for his character to develop into the person we respect. This is especally eveident in the extended versons of TTT and RotK.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 11:18 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Elvishmouse wrote:
Movie Faramir's reasons for letting the halflings out of Osgiliath are rather irrational. He disregards their original arguments, but as soon as it is obvious Frodo can little resist the Nazgul and the Ring, the halflings can take the Ring and go? What kind of sense does that make? Movie Faramir's concerns lie closer to good intentions. Once he learns the truth about the Hobbit's quest, he in essence bids them godspeed and gives them leave to continue.

Do I know why they were taken to Osgilith in the film... no. I have never been able to truly work that out. I have some assumptions but no answers. But they aren't just dropped off in Osgilith than "Erm... nevermind" Frodo is overcome by the Ring and hold Sam and sword point than Sam makes one of most beautiful monologues I have ever heard and after hearing how much they suffer for this task. He can now take it as "evidence" that the Ring cannot save anyone "it only has the power to destroy".

The skepticism of his captives, I think, is less a character development choice but more of a way of showing that Faramir is also a good military man. From his point of view, there are member of a brand new race to him, barely even heard of them. He's probably not gonna take them at their word.

The only really inexcusable thing I found about Faramir was not his treatment of Sam and Frodo, but his treatment of Gollum by proxy. These soldiers are under his command. He says "Jump" they say "How high" but he allowed them to beat the snot out of this frail pitiful creature. These men would have been wearing heavy boots. And what is Faramir doing? Sitting Idlely by and letting them do it. They are soldiers of Gondor. They should have conducted themselves with more honour than that. Forbidden Poor or no.

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 12:14 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

After a really LONG hiatus... I'm back. Hello!

I've read the OP (yes, I know it was mine) and I actually have an opinion now... I don't like the Faramir edits either. I understand why they made them, but Faramir was (to Tolkien) something else. Faramir was the character he most identified with, and he said in Letters "I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, brother of Boromir"

IMHO I would have rather seen a new character entirely play the role that Faramir did in the films. But of course, if they had done that, I would whine about Where's Faramir. We complain about the films because all in all, we like them ;)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 9:48 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

ethelfleda wrote:
nooooooooooo, i can't believe i'm hearing this! the essay's right - the film does do faramir a serious discourtesy. tolkien created the character he wanted and PJ had no right to change that - i don't think book faramir would have appeared at all unrealistic on screen. and having faramir not desire the ring does not undermine its power in the slightest - it simply shows that some people are not as easily tempted as others, and wisdom and clarity can survive evil times.

I agree, the books portray Faramir as a noble man who hates war but will do anything to protect his people and his country, Gondor, especially Minas Tirith. Also, his purpose is not to gain power and honor, as is Boromirs. The movies radically change his character and I didn't like it from the first time i watched the movies. The books clearly say that Faramir resisted the ring.
However, as someone mentioned before already, the changing of Faramirs character does lead to the viewers seeing Osgiliath and the heart breaking sight of Faramir being sent to recapture Osgiliath by Denethor.
However, even though Faramirs character is changed, and even though Boromir falls to the temptation of the ring, Denethors sons rank really high in my most favourite characters list. :p

(But then again, I would probably say that about every character on the good side :p )

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 12:04 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

One of the greatest stuff-ups the PJ Boyens screenplay did was to mangle and desecrate the Faramir character. It was not as bad as what they did with Denethor, and in both these cases it smelled like a big shortcutting when it came to the latter part of the story.

Faramir, brilliantly acted by David Wenhem, was given, starting with the part where he takes Sam, Frodo, and Gollum to Osgiliath, a pile of dung for a script. I can't help but see this in his face in the movie when he is pondering deep thoughts. It looks like he is thinking... 'I wanted to be Faramir, not this guy' look.

And don't get me started on what was done with Denethor......

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 12:13 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

*takes deep breath*

PJ’s treatment of Faramir is almost the most heinous atrocity that he perpetrated in the entire movie trilogy - except for Gollum managing to separate Frodo from Sam on the way to Cirith Ungol – standing things on their head, totally contradicting the books, and in the Frodo-Gollum-Sam mess contradicting THE central theme of the whole book “trilogy”. “I decided that black was white” or whatever – this took what moviemakers apparently seem to feel as necessary “dumbing down” far beyond the call of “duty”. Fer cryin’ out loud, Faramir had been tutored a bit by Gandalf (to the displeasure of Denethor). Not only was Faramir far wiser than his older brother, who was a tad one-dimensional towards feats of arms (making the Rohirrim consider him to be more like themselves than a “usual” noble of Gondor), Faramir was in many ways wiser than his father Denethor.

There was a comment above that they needed (my interpretation) “to keep Faramir at an appropriate distance below Aragorn”. Point taken. PJ didn’t get Aragorn right either. I was disgusted with what I’ve previously called the “angst-ridden” portrayal or Aragorn PJ forced on Viggo. Aragorn is 87 friggin’ years old in 3018, it’s been 62 years since he first met Gandalf, and he is by then Beren, Turin and Tuor rolled into one (without Turin’s uncontrollable rage issues). Aragorn may have been places even Gandalf didn’t visit. Aragorn’s opinion of Sauron and what needs to be done about him makes Winston Churchill’s opinion of Hitler look like “ah, well, a slight tap on the wrist will bring him to reason”. Aragorn had no doubts about what he needed to do, without being rash about how to do them. But fighting to the death was certainly not ruled out.

While I appreciate that movies need to handle things differently, and for all that I castigate PJ, I still think that we could have gotten a LoTR movie trilogy that could have been immensely worse than what PJ did, I still consider a rather large part of the “suits” brigade of moviemaking companies to be useless, if not harmful parasites. Just to throw some arbitrary numbers around, I would guess that this parasite class, very much arrogant snobs, probably insults the intelligence of maybe 95 % of what they consider their target audience with (parts of) their products. Lowest common denominators can get too low.

And last, just don’t get me stated how PJ turned Treebeard and the other Ents into beings whose IQ was marginally, if that, above mosses and lichens, again in howling contradiction to the books.

:explode:

(Er … does this mean that we almost agree, Hanasian? ;-) )