Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Faramir and Suicide mission?
PostPosted: October 16th, 2006, 6:36 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

..Rumil.. wrote:
I and my dad have discussed this before. ( Draw this from the movie guys. )
When Faramir leads his men on the taking-back of the river, I think that counts as a Suicide Mission. Not only that. I think Faramir is well aware of that.
Gandalf said something similer.
" Do not let your father's will turn to madness! "
Therefore, they both know it's hopeless to try and take it back. They don't have the men, or the weapons.
Why would Faramir go THAT far to please his father? I know he would be willing to risk his life, but the lifes of other men? Those men could have been valuble during the Battle of Pelenor!

he knows that they would die sooner or later, and faramir is willing to help in his own little battle, (he wanted to prove to his father that he is worthy to be the next steward of gondor)

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2006, 11:09 am 
Istari
Istari

I'm not sure if I would call it a suicide mission or not. On one hand I would say yes because it was almost certain that they were to die. However on the other hand I would say no. Um, because it was neither their intention or wish to die. So I'm undecided upon this matter.
I think that there were many reasons for Faramir doing what he did. I agree that Faramir had to do it. That in his day to go against such higher authority would have certainly have carried the punishment of death (with or without his father being ruler). He knew only that he must do what he could and that going to try to reclaim what had been taken was all that he could do. He had to go and possably die or refuse to go and be put to death. His going was just not up to him.
However I do think that perhaps there were other reasons that made him more Inclined to go without a fuss. I think that he saw it as a last chance, a last chance for him to earn his father's respect, a last chance for his city, and a last chance to prove himself. If they all died there would be no more chances. So he was willing to give it everything he had...inclueding his life.
Plus his father never loved, respected, or wanted him. That is a very hard thing to cope with and in some cases it drives you to pure desperation. With Faramir he was more than willing to do all in his power to make his father love him (anything, anything at all) and all because he was desperate (for love) and perhaps as others have said without hope. To him he had all the reason to go and I don't hold his going against him. I think that he did what he had to do and perhaps what he thought was best under the circumstances.

Destiny I'm a Christian boycrazy girl. Will Turner's wife ^&? Image Image Avatar by JF, banners by Taurquende, Nurrantiel Mashiara, Silme Meleth TarNymphadora, and JF taught me how to use banners. Thanks to all!