Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the Evenstar broken?
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 6:46 pm 
Elf
Elf

In the movie, there's a scene in which Aragorn drops the Evenstar after looking in the Palantír. It breaks into a thousand pieces.
But I was wondering.. Is this real? Is it really broken?
Because when Arwen saw her child, he was wearing it. So I was wondering, is it really broken or was the vision not completely realistic?

Post subject: Re: Is the Evenstar broken?
PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 2:00 am 
Istari
Istari

I thought that was part of a dream he had, but I'm not exactly sure.

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 8:09 am 

I'm glad you brought this up Fír! I´ve always been wondering what the meaning was of Aragorn dropping the Evenstar. As he usually wore the jewel around his neck, I can not understand why he would have dropped it. More likely it would have symbolized Aragorn´s despair of not being able to live up to the expectations of being King and defeating Sauron.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 9:07 am 
Elf
Elf

It's always confused me too, originally I assumed that it shattering was symbolic of Arwen forgoing her immortality and dying and that it only broke metaphorically. But then on one of the EE cast commentaries Billy or Dom suggest that it was meant to break, which is why Aragorn doesn't have it visibly on him as he rides from Gondor and at the Black gates.

I guess, because the film makers pretty much invented the Evenstar (though it does look a bit like the jewel Arwen gave Frodo in the books) it was on the whole more of a symbolic device than as a plot point, so it didn't matter if it was ambiguous.

In terms of Arwen's vision I always interpreted it that Eldarion was wearing the Evenstar as it was a really simple way to show the audience that this seemingly random kid was Arwen's son and that this would be the outcome if she chose to stay in ME- rather than it being the literal future- which I guess, to me, means it doesn't matter whether it was meant to break or not :)

Though if it did smash, its a shame because it's such a pretty thing to drop on the floor!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:34 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

This scene was always moving to me but at the same time confusing. I see now that I guess the Evenstar was supposed to break (for you don't see it after that) but it is a shame it had too.

In the books Aragorn "fought" Sauron through the Palantir, instead of him just seeing a supposedly dying Arwen. I wish they had done it the other way in the movies.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 12:43 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think it was a vision on more technical than literary or poetic terms, because if you think about the Evenstar would have been made of real gems (for lack of a better word) and silver or perhaps mithirl; but the Evenstar in the vision shattered like cheap glass. Real gems and silver would not have shattered at all from just being dropped on the floor, even though Aragorn is very tall and was probably a stone or marble floor. It probably not would have shattered the way it did.

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles

PostPosted: October 13th, 2011, 7:03 pm 
Elf
Elf

I know the answer to my own question!

Today I saw The Return of the King.
And it is true that after the scene in which the Evenstar breaks, you don't see the jewel when Aragorn rides towards Mordor.
But when he rides to the gate, you do see the Evenstar! Sometimes, it's visible, sometimes it's not. It's half hidden under his clothes.

So it did not really break!
Gosh I am so happy I finally know this one for sure! ^^

PostPosted: October 13th, 2011, 7:45 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

in the EE movie it doesn't seem a dream, he goes to the palantir and faces Sauron, I found part of that scene kind of stupid...you're facing Sauron all badass showing him Anduril and you FREAK the hell out over being shown a vision of what COULD happen to your girlfriend and drop the ONE thing she gave you? please. didn't make sense to me, I love it, but didn't make sense.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2011, 9:34 am 
Elf
Elf

But he did NOT break it. Read the post above yours.

So it's just really weird. It doesn't seem like a dream, like you said. But the Evenstar falling and breaking is not real.
Weird..

PostPosted: October 15th, 2011, 9:21 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

ah I missed that post. :P the whole thing is odd, it seems real during the extended edition and doesn't seem to be on when they ride to the Black Gate, could be hidden, could be a mistake, who knows.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 9:52 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I'm pretty sure it was just a dream, and it didn't really happen. Maybe he saw it happen in the Palantir. I don't think it really got broken.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 1:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

My issue with the whole Arwen-is-dying-because-her-fate-is-attached-to-the-Ring shtick is that Arwen has nothing to do with the Ring at all. She doesn't have an Elven ring, and she already chose to be mortal, so the Elves-going-into-the-West-so-Men-can-take-over thing doesn't apply to her either. Also, even though she is mortal, she won't die for another 200+ years! I don't understand this at all. And then the Evenstar thing makes it even more confusing. I kind of wish that Arwen wasn't even in RotK, just so we don't have to be so totally bewuthered all the time!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 12:58 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I agree, personally. Arwen was not toed to the ring in the books and was a very minor part of the story.

PJ just added that in to add a more prominent female character, suspense, and add to the love story as far as I know. I kind of wish he had just left it closer to the book myself.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 13th, 2015, 7:05 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I totally agree! I know that the writers really tried hard to get the movie to be pretty close to the books, but, like every other movie adaptation, they could have made them a lot better!

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 12:16 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Agreed. There are a few changes I know they made that were reasonible. You couldn't put EVERYTHING in without cuting some sruff or it would simplu be too long. Would have been ok with me but I do understand theatres won't show it if itbis too long.

But I would like to see someone, for once, make the movie word for word, line for line, out of the books. It's not like itnis a bad story... It's just a different story in a lot of aspects.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 3:19 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yeah! That would be pretty cool! It would probably only be appreciated by hard core Tolkien fans, but there's a lot of us in the world, and it would do really well at the box office if everyone knew about it! A movie like that would also filter out the fangirls from the hard core fans, which I think the LotR fandom would benefit from.
Doing movie adaptations word for word seems like such a novel idea to movie makers. I wish it was more common.