Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: It's Darkest Before Dawn
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 2:58 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

ooc: I had an idea for a sorts Robin Hood-like rp, so… yeah… Feel free to jump in! I don’t care much about character bios – include them if you want, or just describe your character in the rp. One serious request though – no single sentence posts please! This is for more experienced writers/rp’ers. Thanks, and enjoy!

bic: Evening fell lightly upon the forest of LaKirem. The sun set slowly in a painting of rose and gold in silent protest of the quickly rising moon as the world faded to black. The air was still and thick, heavy with the crispness of autumn’s chill.

In a small grove within the heart of LaKirem, the sound of voices and music rose softly to the heavens. The elite group known simply as the Shadín – a large band of rebels who were constantly waging war against the tyrant who controlled their lands – had just returned victorious from one of their raids, and a great celebration was being held in that honor.

Strings of small lanterns were draped about the forest canopy, lighting the festive table spread across the grassy grove below. At the head of the table sat none other than Haven Maverick, leader and founder of his band of followers. He was surprisingly young, perhaps no more than twenty, if that, and he looked around the table silently, blue eyes staring out from under intense brows and a shock of black hair. His clothes were simple and homespun, not being one to dress anything but casually. His gaze was haunted with an unusual authority for one so young, and demanded the attention of all at the great table. At last, as silence fell, he took up a large chalice, rising to address the party seated about the table.

“My friends,” he began, “We celebrate tonight a great victory over the king’s army – they were many, but in the end we were the stronger. However, let us not forget those we lost - friends, brothers, loved ones…” He paused a moment, staring down at the cup in his hand. “Let us drink to them tonight. Hail the victorious dead!”

“Hail!” the company roared, and Haven sipped from the cup before passing it down to the rest, allowing each to say their piece and drink. His cousin, Waverly, took it next. She wore a scarlet cloak, the hood pulled up over her head of golden, wavy hair in reverence, over a stunning dress of white silk. Around her waist girded a thin chain of lilies crafted from gold that glittered slightly as she rose.

“Let us not forget to honor those…,” she faltered slightly, her soft green eyes looking about at the faces of her comrades, noting the tears brimming in some of their eyes and spilling down the faces of others. A deep and unfamiliar sorrow tugged at her heartstrings. “Let us not forget those that served our purpose well. They died defending what they knew in their hearts was right. They will be held in highest honor when at last we have our freedom.” She followed her brother’s suite and sipped from the cup before passing it along to the next person at the table.

As the tributes continued, Waverly cast a glance over at her cousin, consulting him quietly. "How many slain?" she murmured into his ear.

"Only nine," was his reply.

"Only nine? You forget yourself, cousin! There are now nine families mourning their dead husbands, sons, or brothers. Children are going to grow up not knowing their fathers! And, more over, many others will join them in their fate if our numbers aren't increased," she mused sadly, then with a fieriness added, "I wish you'd let me fight."

Haven gave her a sour look. "Such a fair young flower should not wither amongst the blood and sweat of battle. I promised your parents I'd keep you safe, fates rest their memory. I will not go back on my oath. Besides, battle is no place for a girl."

She glowered at him. "I'm not a child, Haven Maverick," she argued, determined to get in the last say. “I can fight just as well as you and you damn well know it…”

Haven gave her a sour look and turned back to the festivities, facing his followers with a thin smile, as though nothing had happened.

~*~ I am the Patron Saint of Lost Causes. ~*~

Last edited by Sojourner on October 20th, 2008, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 4:39 pm 

[ I'll join :) Great start ]

The crowded room was filled with laughter and cheering. The celebration of their victory brought many pleasure though not to Keith. His usual smiling brown eyes skimmed sadly over the place, expecting every moment to see the laughing face of his best turned at him. But he wouldn't see him again or listen to his jokes for he was here no more.

Silently Keith had taken his place next to the lady Waverly to whom he could always speak freely and open despite of his darker complexion, which he had inherited from his mother without gratitude, and often caused people to distrust him. A foreigner, they called him. An alien. A criminal. Yet being an outcast didn't make him join Shadín.

Hail the victorious dead! all in the room cried and for a moment all thoughts were fixed on the loved ones they'd lost over time. The sorrow of Keith was set in fire. He would avenge his friend in one way or the other..

"My lady Waverly" he said trying to soothe her with his soft voice "You've proved yourself enough to us that we know you have great skill in combat. I think Haven couldn't forgive himself if we would be mourning over you." He looked into her green eyes and realised that she was trapped, like a bird in a cage. Yet there was nothing to be done about that as long she was under Haven's protection..

[Ok that was a bad post ..]

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 6:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

(I liked it. :D))

Tomos watched the celebratory gathering through his pale grey eyes. He raised his glass with the others, but his heart was not in the toast, not after this last battle. His little brother, his friend, the single person he swore to protect with his dying breath, was dead. Does this happen all the time in battle? He thought to himself. Where people die, there are those to mourn them. Tomos would always watch them at a distance, comfort them as he could, and then sleep at night with only slight sorrow. But the pain he felt now...to think that after every bloody fight many were left in agony, that even the fallen enemy had friends and family in anguish...he didn't want to think of it. He slipped away from the party and into the dense woods were he could find a bit of peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 7:16 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Waverly glanced over at Keith as he spoke. She gave him a smile, though it was tight and forced.
"In then end," she said under her breath to him so that Haven wouldn't overhear, "It is my choice as to for who and for what cause I die for. Or, at least, it should be." She cast her gaze around the table to the many faces full of both victory and sadness. "I would rather die for those I love in a heartbeat, cut down for standing for what I believe in, then spend a lifetime doing nothing."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 7:41 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

(I shall join!)

The voices and sounds of celebration echoed through the forest for a short distance. But far enough to reach a huddle figure that sat between the roots of a large tree. She sat with her knees pulled in to her chest, arms wrapped around it, and staring straight ahead. Her face was emotionless as she sat there listening. The only sign of any kind of loss was the screeks from cleanliness on her dirtied face from the tears that had fallen from clear blue eyes.

Rose hadn't bothered cleaning her face and hands after the day's activities. Instead now she mourned by herself. The girl, only in her early twenties, had for once let her orange-red hair down. Chin length bangs covered her face, while the rest was spread across her back and reached her waste.

In the last raid, she had lost not one, but two of her kin. One was her father, whom she was very close to. The other her twin brother, who she was even closer to. Her whole world had gone crashing down when the news came. If only she had been there. Maybe she would have saved them. Rose wasn't the best with a blade, she would admit that, but she was the best archer amung all those she knew. In fact, she always had her bow with her. And right now it lay on the ground a few feet away as Rose silently mourned...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 8:13 pm 
Vala
Vala

Tomos padded through the thick undergrowth of the forest, following a path invisible to anyone but himself. The path led to a giant tree, his tree. Though he couldn't say he owned it, the large, knobby, moss ridden oak tree had provided comfort and safety since he was a boy. He looked up into her branches and saw the old ruins of a playhouse, once his. It was now reduced to rotten planks of wood and rusty nails. He rounded her rough, earthy bark, his fingers trailing a familiar pattern along the grooved surface. He glanced at his favorite spot, a little nook between to large roots, a place where he could think and sit. But, instead of empty space he saw a girl. No, wait, that was Rose. She was part of the Shadín, and twice the bowman he wished he could be. He didn't recognize her at first with her flaming hair undone and covering her face. She made no noise, but Tomos noticed speckles of wet on her shirt. She was crying. "Rose." He whispered softly, trying not to startle her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 8:26 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Rose had been too numb to hear the soft foot steps. When she heard her name, she looked up to see Tomos standing over her. Quickly she wiped her face on her sleeve and slowly stood.
"Tomos," she whispered, her usually strong voice weakened by emotion. "When did you get here?"

(sorry for the shortness... :blush: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 9:11 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Just a second ago." He replied. Tentively he sat down on a root next to her, resting his back against the bark. The tree felt alive, like it was humming, trying to send him the comfort he desperatly wanted but couldn't get. He closed his eyes against the pain, trying to shut it out, but to no avail. "I hate this." He said suddenly. "The man who killed my brother, he's a monster. I can't think of him as human, not after what he did to my brother, to me. But my brother, before he died, he killed three men. The family and friends of those three men...they must think that my brother is a monster, a cold blooded killer, but he's not." Tomos caught himself, and bighting back tears, corrected himself. "but he wasn't. Of all the people I've killed...how many enemies do I have? How many people would kill me because of what I've done? I thought I was fighting for good, but no I can only think of the pain I must have caused others, and the pain within myself."

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 9:46 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Rose nodded, and sat back down, hugging her knees again, and looking ahead. She listened to Tomos's words, pangs of sadness knotting in her stomach. Especially when he corrected himself about his brother.
"I can see what you mean," her words came softly. "Loosing loved ones, and taking them, makes you think. We see them as monsters, they see us as monsters. There's nothing we can do to end the cycle accept maybe end the reign of the tyrrant. Sometimes I wonder if there were other ways to get victory over our goal. But as my father says 'if there was another way, any of us would take it in an instant, but there isn't. So we have no choice'. It gave us victory, but a pyrrihic victory..." She trailed off, fighting a fresh wave of tears...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 10:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

"If there were ever a safe, simple way towards peace, we would all be brothers and sisters at heart. There isn't, and we arn't" Tomos responded, quoting his own father. "I just wish it were easier. The only possible way that I can justify my actions in the least bit is to think of the people I help." He ran a hand through his uncontrolled mop of black hair "If I just think that I save more people than I kill...maybe it cancels out. Is that right, or am I just trying to justify my ways?" He asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 11:12 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Rose gave a shrug.
"I think it's right. End a life so save a life. I think is balances out in the end," she said, still staring ahead, as if all the answers would just pop out from behind a tree for her to see. "Saving others seems to be the only think that's keeping me from..." she stopped then refrased her sentence. "Saving other's lives is the only reason for me to keep going now."

The words had a hard time forming in her mouth, feeling heavy on her lips. She didn't have any family left now, like many others of the Shadín. With a mother that died when Rose was too young to remember, and now her brother and father gone, she only had friends and the will to save others to keep her going. Then an interesting thought came to her, that brought a fleeting smile to her lips that lasted but a second then was gone.

"Our fathers had such encouraging words to pass to the next generation," the words, though still soft and sorrowfull, held a bit of sarcasm in them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 11:40 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Encouraging..." Tomos laughed, a weak, single laugh. "The words of wise men are rarely enjoyed." Another quote from his father. He was such a wise man. Tomos wished he knew the man better. He wasn't the most personable of fathers, but he was so wise, so knowing. It seemed he percieved and understood the entire world. He would know what to think in this situation. If wishes were gold... He thought to himself. Guiltily he added at least I still have a father. He may not have seen his father for over two months, or ever had a strong relationship, but at least he knew the man who watched him grow into a man was still living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2008, 8:31 am 

Keith looked again at this fiery woman and admired her. She was so full passion and faith of what she believed in.. Should he make her believe otherwise? As her cousin was so overprotective towards her, Keith knew that some day Waverly would set herself free; become reckless. It would unavoidable yet understandable. Staying home while the man would fight for their cause was hard enough. But the same rage and sorrow which filled him after the loss of so many.. surely she must have felt the same?

"I can not agree with you more Waverly" his hazel eyes were directed to her, but this time didn't betray the flicker of laughter like they always did. "If you allow me I'll put in a good word for you when I get to speak Haven but I beg you to be careful. One should keep the spirit to live, for there's nothing glorious about dying." Keith brushed his dark hair from his face and took a sip of his ale. "Those men who died today" he continued while trying not to think to much about his friend "died a lonely death yet were are no closer to our cause than when they were alive. It was not their death that was meaningfull but their lifes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2008, 10:06 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

"I ask you to use caution, then," she replied. "Haven's patience... well, leaves something to be desired. I would hate to see you caught up in his temper, as he may take your suggestion as treason."
She bit her lip quietly, poking at her meal, feigning an appetite. But there was too much sorrow and hate under the joy to eat.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2008, 10:52 am 

A smile appeared on Keith's lips. "I'd rather face a dozen hungry bears than see you so unhappy like this my Lady. Sadness perhaps emphasises your beauty yet it's a torture to me to witness you in such a mood. So do not worry about me."

And with a slight blush on his cheeks he got to his feet, leaving his empty plate yet taking his goblet with him. He realised that Waverly was probably right and that Maverick would not appreciate the topic of the conversation but the alcohol in Keith's blood enhanced his boldness thus he walked over to their leader and greeted him.
"Hail Haven Maverick. This day must have been a great victory to you." and he raised his goblet into the air as to offer a toast. "The celebration is grand yet the beauty of all this can not be compared to the beauty of the lady Waverly.."

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2008, 1:31 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

The fleeting smile came back for a moment to Rose's lips. How those words were true mostly. She rested her chin against her knees, feeling a little better. For a moment there was silence. Her mind trailing off in her memories of her childhood. Those had been the best days of her life. Full of luaghter and innocence. Lifting her head to gaze up, she saw a few stars through the leaves of the canopy.

"It's times like this... that I wonder why a world so beautiful is also so sad. And how the sadness, and madness, seems to cloud the beauty at times," she said idly, then shook her head. "I'm talking nonsence. This loss has put some strange thoughts into my head."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next