Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 3:54 am 
Elf
Elf

oh, forgot to say,
they totally rocked in august when i saw them.
it was my first time headbanging (even though i've seen underoath in concert before), so...my neck was KILLING me for like 2 weeks afterwards. :P
"comatose" is definitely one of my theme songs now...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 9:19 pm 
Vala
Vala

A few updates on Skillet news, in case anyone really cares. :-P

Their new album is coming out in August.

They are playing two songs from the new album in concert, and both ROCK.
Hero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepgWAxB8LM
Monster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6UWCVxWD_k

They started their Comatose 2009 Tour on April 2. They have played a few sold-out shows already, and fans are coming back with very good reviews of the tour. The tour set list is structured mostly like it was for the Comatose 2008 tour, with the addition of "Hero" and "Monster" and the removal of "My Obsession" from the setlist.

And, to finish off the news report, Altariel Frodo will be going to see Red and Skillet play together in 46 hours and 41 minutes. ;-)

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2009, 4:11 pm 
Elf
Elf

...I envy you.

Anyways, the new stuff sounds incredible...I can't wait until we get to hear better quality stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 8:07 pm 
Vala
Vala

I thought the best way I could make up for getting to go when you couldn't would be to share some of my pictures and videos.

Decyfer Down -

Disciple -

Scottyrock supervising clean-up as we came back into the stadium:

Red -

Skillet -

Lost by Red: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViCXhQXyx6I
Mystery of You by Red: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJHRXGHl2L0

Collide by Skillet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WDB2hZFeA
Hero by Skillet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfT4I2gcnw
John speaking (amazing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jIe6QGavk
A bit of Savior by Skillet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3O5EEK3GAw
My personal video blog of the day (with more song clips):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN369KBqC2A

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 4:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

*floats in* As the resident Skillet junkie, I thought I'd give an update (as well as a shameless promotional speech :innocent: ).

Skillet's album Awake will be released on August 25, 2009. It will have 12 tracks. I already know most of the track titles, as a friend of mine has heard the album. It's going to be pretty sweet.

"Hero" is playing on a radio station near you NOW. It should be up on iTunes before long also.

"Monster" will be released to the radio mid-July. Around that same time the official Skillet fanclub will launch.

On Monday (June 15) Awake will be available to preorder. There are three different options for preorder, and each comes with some pretty cool stuff. Some other Panheads and myself were talking it over and discussing how the options should be priced with Skillet's manager last night, and I think it's going to be pretty awesome. Most of the preorder options also include an instant download of the single "Hero."

Skillet will be touring with Hawk Nelson and Decyfer Down this Fall, in order to promote their new album. They are planning on going to 50 cities (one of them being my city! Yay!).

The style of Skillet's new album will be mostly what we've come to expect after Comatose, except adding back in some of the harder elements of Collide. Jonathan Chu, who has been playing violin with Skillet on tour, plays on four tracks, so we can expect some more orchestral elements. There is also the added feature that Skillet's young drummer, Jen Ledger, has started sharing back up vocal duties with Korey. Her voice is the one doing the back up on Skillet's song "Hero."

And before I bore you to death, I will be quiet.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 9:06 pm 
Elf
Elf

^Bore me to death? I almost died of excitement!

I've already heard "Hero" on Christianrock.net. Omword that song is amazing.

Also, the fact that they're touring with Decyfer Down and Hawk Nelson has me sosososo happy--excuse me while I squee.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

=D Are any tour dates up? I cannot miss this.

Oh, and the 25th of August? That's a day after my sister's birthday. I recently converted her to Panheaddom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 11:36 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yay! My information is relevant! :teehee:

A few tour dates are booked - most of these aren't released to the public yet, but I know where to look. :innocent: This is only a tiny fraction though - there will be many more, but they're still booking.

10.02.2009 - New York, NY - Manahattan Center Studios (Hammerstein Ballroom) **
10.08.2009 - Memphis, TN - Minglewood Hall **
10.10.2009 - Cullman, AL - Cullman County Fairgrounds (Youthquake) **
10.11.2009 - Mobile, AL - Mobile Civic Center **
10.15.2009 - Tulsa, OK - Spirit Bank Event Center **
10.29.2009 - Central Point, OR - Medford Armory **
10.30.2009 - Salem, OR - Ost Pavilion **
10.31.2009 - Seattle, WA - SPU Gym or Showare Center **
11.01.2009 - Spokane, WA - Inb Performing Arts Center **
11.03.2009 - Boise, ID - Qwest Arena **
11.19.2009 - Longview, TX - Maude Cobb Center **
11.21.2009 - Cypress, TX - The Berry Center **
11.22.2009 - Abilene, TX - Abilene Civic Center **
11.27.2009 - Springfield, MO - Remingtons **
12.03.2009 - Memorial Auditorium **

Yay for converting more people! :-D I've converted 5 of my 6 siblings. :teehee: Four of them say that Skillet is their favorite band (my 8-year-old brother learned how to sing "Whispers in the Dark" about a year ago, and even knows most of the band members' names). I rub off, apparently.

EDIT: WOAH. Skillet's manager just announced to us that the pre-order was ready sooner than expected, and they finished the album art (just today, I believe). Check it: http://www.skillet.com/ . I pre-ordered it less than ten minutes after it became available. :-P

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 6:11 pm 
Elf
Elf

^WHYYYYY are they going to be in tulsa while i'm going to be in FRAAAAANCE?? *makes sad face*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 6:39 pm 
Elf
Elf

Ohmyword, they're gonna be in Boise. =D That's like, only 5 hours away or so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 10:01 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

skillet is like one of my favorites!!!! glad to see others on AU like them 2!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 6:24 pm 
Vala
Vala

There are two places to hear clips from the new album, if you're interested. :)

http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/cdreviews/Awake.asp
http://www.hearitfirst.com/artisthome.a ... st_id=1659

The two sites have different clips up, so it's worth while to listen to them at both places. :)

Also, I have all the lyrics for the whole album, including the tracks that will only be on the deluxe edition, if anyone wants them.

My favorites thus far, as I had predicted earlier, are "Lucy," "Never Surrender," and "Sometimes" are my favorites.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 7:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

EEEEPPPPP!!!! SKILLET LINKS????? *glomps then lets them go to listen to them*

My reviews for the songs that aren't already released (the ones with stars are my favorites):

Don't Wake Me
- Hmmmm. I was expecting something a little more....epic. More minor? I'm disappointed; the lyrics seemed like the song would be more depressing. And I adore depressing. :teehee:

*Awake And Alive - *nods head* I love the melody! Oh, Jen has an AMAZING voice! It's so much better than Korey's. The strings add to the heaviness. Definitely a song to watch for!

One Day Too Late
- Sounds too generic. I'm not getting it. I think Nickelback could have taken this song and made it big, but John's voice needs a little more of an edge to make this interesting. This sounds like a typical Daughtry song.

It's Not Me It's You
- Oooh! This has a Three Days Grace/Breaking Benjamin tint to it. If it was a tiny bit heavier, it would have been perfect, but it's pretty good the way it is.

Should've When You Could've - Nope. They can't pull this one off. Sorry, John. Your voice is amazingly smexy in the right song, but this ballad is too soft and radio friendly for you. And the lyrics? That's a no no.

*Believe - I like it! A lot! This has a *inserts major "Awwwww!"* Yours To Hold/The Older I Get sound, and it's beautiful. This is what Don't Wake Me should have sounded like.

Forgiven
- This has a edgy worship sound to it that's pretty decent. It's not anything new, but it's not as bad as some.

*Sometimes - *jaw drops* Ummmmm.....EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh. Not even Three Days Grace could make this song sound this good. HOTT! My sister and I are sitting here grinning.

*Never Surrender - Nice! *starts to rock out* It's not anywhere near as epic as Sometimes, but it has a solid, signature Skillet sound. The minor melody is falling over worthy.

*Lucy - I think I'm melting. Yup, I'm a puddle of mush. Epic. Win. *squees* "Now that it's over, I just wanna hold her..."

So. As a summary of the album, Awake And Alive, Believe, Sometimes, Never Surrender, and Lucy are the highlights. I'm actually disappointed in Skillet's promise to make everything more heavy, because there are about an equal amount of ballads to their rock sounds. A few of their songs could use a little more edge to really complete the sound, but I might have to hear the album as a whole to get the whole picture. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 12:17 am 
Vala
Vala

I agree with it being a bit too light - I really think the album needs to be heavier as a whole. I'll have to wait until I actually hear the whole thing to be able to say for certain, because I've heard mixed opinions from people who actually have heard the whole thing.

Here are my opinions, based on the lyrics and the song samples:

Don't Wake Me - This feels very, very similar to "Yours to Hold." I like it, though probably the lyrics more than the music.

Awake and Alive - This song is going to be AWESOME live. I love the energy in it, and the way it flows so smoothly. Overall, stunning song that works perfectly.

One Day Too Late - From what I've heard, it's softer than I'd like. I like the chorus, but the lyrics for the verses not quite as much - they seem kind of cliched to me.

It's Not Me It's You - LOVE. This is going to be the second mainstream single, if all goes as planned, and it deserves it. You can really tell on this one that Skillet went to the same producer who did Three Days Grace on this one. It's very TDG-ish.

Should've When You Could've - This is my least favorite on the album. It doesn't even feel like Skillet. It's been growing on me, but I don't relate to it, and though it's a little catchy, it's just weird to hear John singing a song like this. When I meet him in November I need to ask him what's up with this track.

Believe - This was the track they added at the very last minute, and I'm so glad they did. The lyrics are incredible, and the music compliments them perfectly.

Forgiven - So glad to see a song like this on the album. It's beautiful, and uplifting - the lyrics are beautiful, and the smoother music really works.

Sometimes - LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Can I say that enough? The lyrics are brutally honest, so honest it's almost breath taking. And I love that. I love that they pull it off so well. I love the music that accompanies it. This is an absolutely incredible track, though I think it's probably the darkest Skillet has ever recorded.

Never Surrender - I love this one about as much as the last one. As I told a friend a while back, this is basically the "The Last Night" of this album. I really, really like it, and I connect to it very strongly. The lyrics are powerful and beautiful and strong.

Lucy - EPIC. WIN. I knew I would love this track from the moment I first heard about it. It's just amazing, and sad, and beautiful, and aching, and yet hopeful... I can't get enough of this track.

And as for the two tracks that will be on the deluxe edition, "Dead Inside" and "Would it Matter..." the lyrics are incredible. I hope the music will match.

So, overall, I really like the album, but not quite as much as Comatose, and I think it needs to be a little harder. John's song writing is generally pretty strong, with a few minor lapses (the verses of "One Day Too Late" and "Should've When You Could've" most notably). There are a few songs on it though that I love like you wouldn't believe, so I'm still kind of in a hazy daze of bliss. :-P

Oh, and in case you wondered: Skillet films music videos for both "Hero" and "Monster" next week.

And, finally, here's what John said about most of the tracks on the album:

Quote:
“Hero”- This song is the platform over which the whole record was written. Basically every day seems to get weirder, darker and scarier with thousands of people losing their homes and hurting over a wide variety of reasons. You see so much negativity on the news, especially this sense of violence that’s getting really crazy. With all this going on, it’s easy to feel on the edge, but no matter how dark it gets, there’s always hope in a new day and staying positive is the first step. And when you boil it all down, Christ is the one who gives us a reason to live and He’s our “Hero” who’s fighting for all of this oppression and injustice.

“Monster”- It’s a song about being fake and putting on a face for people that’s not the real you. But it’s basically about the nature of sin and the nature of the divine, which is the duel nature we have as Christians. Everyday we have to strive to throw away the old and be that new person in Christ.

“Awake and Alive”- Tying in with “Hero,” here’s one about feeling like you’re falling under from all the stresses of life. Even though you feel like everyone around you is trying to take your hope away from you, no one has the right to do that and you shouldn’t allow those negative influences to weigh you down. Live what you believe and don’t be afraid to stand up for your faith.

“Forgiven”- I am really excited about this song, which is probably the most overtly Christian song on the album. I think “Forgiven” is a very hopeful song, and even though it’s not the first time a song has been written on the subject, it strikes a balance between being very worship oriented and honest as well. This is a song about letting yourself or someone else down, but finding the power to not beat yourself up over it and to find closure with the person you hurt.

“Never Surrender”- The original inspiration for this came with someone I talked to that was battling an eating disorder. Though it’s not specifically about that topic, it ties in to the fact that sometimes you feel like you don’t like who you are, but you’re crying out for someone to be there for you instead of giving up- whether that be God, a family member or a close a friend.

“Lucy”- Typically I don’t write in a way where a song can have an open ended interpretation, but this is a song about loss and can be applied to a whole range of situations. It has a gist of regret where you wish you had done things differently and it could be about mourning the loss of someone who died or a relationship. It seems sad, but it’s strangely hopeful because it gives off the idea that you can change your life right here and now – you have been given a second chance so you can remember to live and love with no regrets.

“Sometimes”- I’d say this is probably the darkest song on the record, but a lot of people I’ve played it for find it strangely therapeutic. I’m not sure why it makes them feel better since it’s so dark, but maybe there’s a relatable aspect to it. Basically it’s saying there are times you don’t like yourself and times when you don’t do the right thing, even if you’re trying to be a better person deep down inside.

“One Day Too Late”- Here’s kind of a special song on the record in the sense that it’s very introspective and pensive. It has me thinking about life and what really matters, questioning “if I die today, would it matter that I was here?” It’s about making the most of each moment because tomorrow might be one day too late.

“It’s Not Me It’s You”- This is definitely an angry song, but it’s also tongue in cheek. So many times this is something you say during a break up, but it could also apply to an authority figure or a parent who treats you bad. Even when people weigh us down, we can turn to Christ and find ourselves empowered by putting our hope in Him instead of letting someone who’s giving you a hard time wear you down.

“Don’t Wake Me”- It’s about someone you lost- either someone who broke up with you or died- and the fact that dreaming about them is the only time you’re both together, which is why you never want to wake up. This is the ‘80s prom song for the record that’s a slow dance all the way!

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2009, 4:34 pm 
Istari
Istari

Help! Skillet 911, please! I can't get "Sometimes" out of my head, and I've ever made a little shrine for it in my sig. :-P This song is the ultimate Sawyer song. And so is "Monster". Did I mention I'm obsessed with Sawyer? I was listening to "Monster" when I was making a Sawyer set, and at the same time my sister and I felt this weird jolt run through us. It's always interesting to find a song that fits a character so perfectly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2009, 5:17 pm 
Elf
Elf

I thought I posted something in this thread recently. But now my post's gone. *scratches head*

I keep getting "It's Not Me It's You" stuck in my head...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 11:33 am 
Vala
Vala

I heard the full album for the first time last night, and have listened to it through another 4 times since.

All of the doubts and frustrations I had with it have currently been melted away. :teehee: I am absolutely in love. Musically speaking, I would say it's a better album than Comatose (though Comatose is still my favorite, because that's a very personal album for me). A lot of the time the verses are actually better than the choruses, which means that even with songs where I wasn't too attached to them after the samples I've heard, they were redeemed as soon as I heard the verses.

"Awake and Alive" and "Believe" were the two that really surprised me with how unbelievably epic they are. The others went above and beyond what I could have expected too, but those in particular.

"Never Surrender" is probably my favorite on the album, followed very closely by "Sometimes" and "Lucy." I also ended up liking "Forgiven" way more than expected, which may partly be because it has a piano intro. :-P

So all in all I'd say this record is VERY worth buying. Skillet has kept all the elements that made Comatose so brilliant, as well as branching out and adding in other elements that I never could have imagined working - but they do. I think one thing that really makes Skillet stand out from the general crowd of hard rock is that they use so many different elements, and make them all work together.

Plus? Their tour this fall is going to OWN, so if there's any way to get to a show, DO IT. ;-) I'm already set with a special ticket, including authorization to go backstage and meet the band.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next