Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 1:26 pm 
Istari
Istari

The entire Skillet cd has been released on youtube. :blink: This...is torture. To listen, or not to listen? At the moment I'm opting to save it and look forward to the cd, but "Sometimes" is up there in its full epicness...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I just listened to the first 7 seconds of "Sometimes", and it sounded very different from how I expect it to start. But, oh, the hottness.... :swoon:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 2:23 pm 
Vala
Vala

The versions up on YouTube aren't that great quality, so if you listen to them you're not really getting the full impact of the album. I actually know the guy who put them up (I know practically everyone in the core of the Panhead world), so I know where he got them from, and I also know that a few seconds are cut from the beginnings of a few of them and the ends.

That could either help or hinder your decision. If you want to hear the full CD in all its epic glory the first time, then don't listen on YouTube. But even if you do listen on YouTube, the CD will still seem like a big deal because it will sound so much better than on YouTube.

I personally am trying to make myself stay away from listening to the CD too much more until I have the actual physical copy in my hand (and that's not too far away now - it could be arriving any time after Saturday). I still haven't heard the two deluxe tracks though - "Dead Inside" and "Would it Matter." I've just heard the 30 second previews, and they are going to be amazing. :)

I've been randomly quoting the lyrics for this album everywhere as of late. :teehee: I guess it's kind of pathetic.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 10:38 pm 
Vala
Vala

Double post to update:

Some friends and I talked to Skillet's manager tonight, and the upshot was that he got the clips taken down from YouTube. He's also looking into some other leaking issues that have happened...

So this hopefully takes the temptation away. ;-)

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 2:01 am 
Elf
Elf

*drops in from the ceiling like a ninja*

people, we have a major win.
my mother, who doesn't like anything "weird"when it comes to music, has decided that she likes "Hero."
(and the chorus rejoiced.)

oh, and i love the new album too. haha. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 2:08 am 
Vala
Vala

^YES!!! That is indeed major win. :cool:

I am absolutely infatuated with this album. Beyond belief. :-P It's also totally worth it to get the deluxe edition, by the way. :)

And, Awake is the #1 album on iTunes as of right now. I am so way far beyond excited. :happy: They so deserve this. It's incredible.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 2:14 am 
Elf
Elf

^whoa. that's awesome! :-D

i bought the deluxe edition of an album that came out the same day, i dunno if i can afford deluxe of another one... =/

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 8:25 am 
Istari
Istari

Go Skillet!! :bounce: They really do deserve this. Since I'm fairly broke and had an Amazon gift card, I just bought it used-but-brand-new online. It had better come soon or the crazed Skillet fangirls shall attack them. :karate:

I allowed myself one song to listen to before my cd comes, and I chose "Believe". At first I thought John's voice was a little too low in the beginning, but the second time I listened to it, it send chills down my spine. Am I the only one who thinks John Cooper has an incredibly hot voice? I seriously can't wait to hear "Sometimes" and "Dead Inside". Those two are going to kill me from sheer awesomeness. :swoon:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 6:49 pm 
Elf
Elf

...Wow.

Dad was kind enough to buy us the deluxe edition of Awake today (or maybe he just sick of two teenagers constantly going on about "Skillet's New CD YAY!!" :lol: Yeah, my sister is now a full-fledged Panhead :-D), so I just finished listening to it, and I'm in awe and my eyes are a bit moist. XD

I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed with Hero and Monster, and none of the audio clips did the songs justice at all, so I started listening to this with a very cynical attitude, but it blew me away, so I'm going through all the songs and do a little review thing now I guess. xD I didn't write in order, and I tended to group songs together for some weird reason O.o but yeah.

Like I said before, Hero and Monster didn't impress me after they lost the New-Skillet-Music Shininess. They're good songs, just not my favorites, and they didn't have the extreme epicness and originality that I had come to expect from Skillet. Monster sounds a little too much like a particular Three Day's Grace song...and I don't like the Monster "growl". =/ It's just kind of corny in my opinion. But the radio edit without the growl is alright.

I wasn't expecting Don't Wake Me to get any better, but I was wrong. It's a beautiful song and I love it. One Day Too Late is another good ballad, and if it has any flaws at all, it's that it seems too long and gets kind of repetitive and boring toward the end. But it doesn't hurt the song that much, and the lyrics are awesome.

Awake And Alive is pure epic. The strings really add to the epic feel, and Jen's voice is beautiful on this song. I can't complain about it at all, and I'm so in awe that I can't say anything except that it's definately one of my favorite songs now. :-D

Believe had me hooked even before John started singing. The melody, the vocals, the lyrics, everything about it is beautiful in a heartbreaking way. It's another favorite of mine.

Forgiven and Never Surrender are both reallly awesome rockers that have great lyrics. Forgiven actually had me in tears. The piano part is very pretty, too. The intro to Never Surrender threw me off at first, sounding more like something from Plumb than something from Skillet (not a bad thing, just an observation--I love Plumb xD), but I'm in love with the song right now. The lyrics too both of these are beautiful, and they both get favorite status from me. :-D

It's Not Me It's You and Sometimes could be called the "angry songs" of this album. Some people may not like angry Skillet songs that are a little more dark in tone than the rest of the album, but I think they both rock. It's Not Me It's You has a really catchy chorus that keeps getting stuck in my head. xD The lyrics for Sometimes are brutally honest, and the beat is really good.

Lucy is another beautiful, tearjerking ballad, with touching lyrics. It ends the album (if you didn't get the deluxe version) on a sad note, but not sad in a depressing way, and the song progresses to be really hopeful toward the end. The short clips I heard before getting the album really didn't do this song justice at all. I was expecting it to be mediocre--boy was I wrong. XD

As for the bonus tracks, Dead Inside is a solid rock song, it doesn't do much to seperate itself from the rest of the album. That doesn't mean I don't love it, though. Would It Matter, on the other hand, is a song that was definately worth the extra money. It's softer in tone, but beautiful, and I don't think that there's a person on this planet who wouldn't be able to relate to the lyrics, whether they admit it or not. It's another song that I almost cried listening too.

Really, the only song I didn't like was Should've When You Could've. It just didn't work. The rocker-ballad-rocker-ballad way that the cd is organized doesn't flow very well, but since I usually listen to music on shuffle, it shouldn't bother me. All in all, I am very very happy to have Awake among my collection of favorite cds. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 11:08 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yay for more owning of "Awake!" :happy:

Esteleth, I agree with just about everything you said. :lol: That's rather awesome. I definitely agree that "Hero" and "Monster" are far from the best the album has to offer too-- hence I was surprised by the epicness of the album. :)

Here's my full review of it, finally:

http://elraen-fragileontheinside.blogsp ... track.html

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 6:38 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think I'm allowed to double post in this thread when I have news. Which I do. :-P

Skillet's "Awake" debuted in the #2 spot. This is absolutely phenomenal. They sold about 68,000 albums in the first week. Here's hoping the album goes gold within the next few years!

Plus, today Skillet's music video for "Monster" was released. I like it very, very much. :-D I have watched it many, many times already.

http://music.aol.com/video/monster/skil ... 6657387001

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 7:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

Wow. That video was HOT! I've gotta say, I have no idea how John Cooper can be any better than he is. :eyeroll: I was expecting something like "Animal I Have Become" or "Death of Me" video wise, but I'm glad they went with a different concept. While the "me vs. evil self" idea is awesome, it's starting to get a little over used. Do you know what song they're going to make a video to next? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 8:34 pm 
Elf
Elf

*Agrees with everything Silvery says* o.o

You know, that song wasn't one of my favorites on the album, but I think I just fell in love with it. Part of it might be because of...uh, life right now...that happens to me a lot. I'll not like a song so much, and then all of a sudden I can relate perfectly to the lyrics, and then the song is love. That happened to me with another one of Skillet's songs, Those Nights, but I have to say that Those Nights is probably a happier song to be able to relate to than Monster. >.< *stops before this turns into a rant*

That video was totally epic, though, and I really like the different approach they took, with the escaping from the mad scientists thing (at least that's how I saw it, lol). I think my favorite part though was the start of the second chorus, when Ben (I think) was running up the wall. I could watch that over and over and over...xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 10:28 pm 
Vala
Vala

SilverRose wrote:
Do you know what song they're going to make a video to next? :)

They already have a music video filmed for "Hero." It should be released within the next month; it's already edited and everything. :) Mostly I just know that it's going to have lots of pyro. :-P

Estel, I definitely know what you mean-- I'd been listening to "Falling Inside the Black" for a year and a half until I really connected with it and fell in love with it. Sometimes you just have to be able to identify with a song to really love it. And honestly... I think everyone can relate to "Monster" at some point in their lives, and if they can't now, they will be able to later. It's a feeling that's part of being human. One way or another, I hope that soon you can relate to it less. :hug:

I love the video-- I love how the band members are the characters (Ben and Jen are two of the doctors at the beginning). I love how it has a distinct story line. The cinematography is very good, as is the visual style in general-- I love that Korey and John are wearing white while the soldiers chasing them are wearing dark colors. There's a lot of depth to the video... for example, the end, which is very much symbolic. Even the last line, "they're out in the open," reflects the beginning with John tearing the bandages off, the idea of coming into the light and facing life awake and alive.

I catch new favorite moments every time I watch it (I've watched it probably at least 10 times now). And yes, the part with Ben running up the wall is amazing. :lol: I also love John doing the growl-- I don't even like the studio version of the growl, but it actually is really cool in the video. :-P

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 5:02 pm 
Elf
Elf

AF, great review! I haven't bought the album since I'm poor and unemployed, but it's going on my list.

That MV was fantastic! I LOVED the cinematography and how they really utilized that medium to further their message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 8:09 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hello, fellow Skillet fan! It's always great to find people around AU who like our (AF, Esteleth, and I) kind of music. :-D

Yesterday I had a total bonding session with "Sometimes". I was ticked off about something stupid and my thoughts were not at all nice. ;) I listened to 'Sometimes" and suddenly, it clicked. It was actually very therapeutic, just like John mentioned in one of his interviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 11:20 am 
Vala
Vala

elvishjedipirate wrote:
AF, great review! I haven't bought the album since I'm poor and unemployed, but it's going on my list.

That MV was fantastic! I LOVED the cinematography and how they really utilized that medium to further their message.

I didn't know you liked Skillet! :-D Glad to see you joining the ranks of Skillet fans... :-P

And I have to agree-- the cinematography was EXCELLENT. :)

And... *drum roll*

The "Hero" video was released on Yahoo about an hour ago! *flails* Are you ready to have your faces melted off by some sick pyro?

http://new.music.yahoo.com/Skillet/vide ... PGTZPesyUv

I don't like this one quite as much as Monster, but it's still very well done-- the lighting is what really stands out to me in this one, and the contrast of fire and rain.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next