Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depressing thing that I don't Know if i should even bring up
PostPosted: July 1st, 2009, 6:45 pm 
Elf
Elf

Ok . . . . i was watching Fellowship of the Ring the other day, and i noticed something TERRIBLE!!!! :closedeyes: the visual effects on some scenes, specifically running from the watcher in the water, make me remember how old its getting. its stinks that it doesnt look as good, u know? i prolly shouldnt have even brought it up! :hide: is it just me? please tell me it's just me. . . . it seems so. . . .depressing.

Hannon Le,everyone for the banners! :)
Married Khamûl on January the 26th, 2007:bones:

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 9:19 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Hmm, I don't think the effects look dated much. There are only a few moments here and there where you can definitely tell there has been computer graphics involved but those wee things I noticed even back when it was first released so I don't have a problem with it at all.

I think it also comes down to what kind of movies you're used to watching and what kind of movies you grew up on. If you're like me who grew up on all the '80s Fantasy movies (back in the '80s), anything beyond that will always seem fantastic in terms of special effects. Hehe.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 9:53 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I agree with ErulissëEnethNîn. I don't think the effects in "Fellowship of the Ring" look all that much dated, yet I DO know what you mean as I feel the same way about "Jurassic Park". They looked so awesome at the time and yet now, so many years later, they look.....well,...old. :(

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 10:22 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

LotR isn't THAT old. I think you're just being paranoid. The effects are fine - there are CGI flaws even in movies that are being released today; it's normal, you can't expect it to seem 100% real all the time because it's not. I'm pretty sure it's just you; it looks every bit a good at me as when I first saw it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 12:47 pm 
Elf
Elf

i know it's not that old. i'm kinna young, so i havent been here that long :) but it's just little things, yes, but its my fav part and it sucks because ppl won't stop updatng graphics! :lol:

oh yes, i've seen really weird flaws. well, nevermind then. i guess it is just me.

Hannon Le,everyone for the banners! :)
Married Khamûl on January the 26th, 2007:bones:

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 9:21 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Lady of Taniquetil, don't worry. I'm sure it's not just you, I bet there are more perhaps of the younger fan generation who feel the same way.

:)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 1:33 pm 
Ent
Ent

Really? I always liked it, and I'm part of the "younger fan generation". But I guess I never really bothered to care about the graphics, more about the story and the action. Mayhaps I should go back and watch it again?

^ Sig set by Goldy!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 4:58 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

hehe, here, I'll make you feel better, LoT. ;) my friends and I were watching FotR last week and we noticed the same thing... well, at least my brother and I did. It's not that the effects are that bad like the old SW movies (sorry, just gotta say it :P) but they aren't up to par like they used to be (and like what we're used to seeing with 2008 & 2009 movies). :erm: I was honestly surprised since I didn't remember it looking like that. Then again, technology advances so quickly anymore and nowadays visual effects are SUCH big parts of movies that it's not that hard to believe. This just goes to show all these movies coming out that are basically just to show of today's VEs... well, stop! 'Cause in 8 or 9 years they will be out of date and, worse, there won't be even a decent storyline to keep people watching. (since the only thing that attracted people in the first place was the amazing VEs (in some movies that's really all they got goin for them ;)) At least LotR has an amazing story and message that will make it a classic no matter how out dated the VEs are. :)

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 3:34 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I agree with everyone else. The effects in FotR aren't outdated yet (in my opinion). I tend to be the person saying "at that point in time, that was some good effects work." lol.

I'm sure it's not just you though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2010, 9:59 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

ErulissëEnethNîn wrote:
Hmm, I don't think the effects look dated much. There are only a few moments here and there where you can definitely tell there has been computer graphics involved but those wee things I noticed even back when it was first released so I don't have a problem with it at all.

I think it also comes down to what kind of movies you're used to watching and what kind of movies you grew up on. If you're like me who grew up on all the '80s Fantasy movies (back in the '80s), anything beyond that will always seem fantastic in terms of special effects. Hehe.

Im just getting Conan the barbarian in my head now :P

But yeah. I disagree tbh, the SFX are fine to me. Im not one of these that finds flashy SFX to be the only thing on my mind :)

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject: fx
PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 6:53 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

The only thing wrong with the FX is the chroma key on the appendices. It seems very messy to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2010, 6:04 am 
Elf
Elf

I think that there are only a few points in the film where you look at a scene and can see that its obviously CGed, but if you think about gollum, treebeard and the other CG hero characters they are pretty much flawless, as an audience member you beleive them as much as the "live" characters and I think thats what is most important. and even though the LotR CG effects are almost 10 years old, they still (in my opinion) look miles miles better than any of the SFX in Doctor who or Merlin (Who's CG is Ugly as hell!)

I think whats most important though about LotR's special FX is that they pretty much made the new big cg films like Narnia, PotC and Avatar possible. Avatar wouldn't even exist if LotR and Gollum hadn't pioneered motion capture. LotR did for C21st film what the Wizard of Oz did for C20th film, it started a whole new wave of technology, effects and new film making, and I guess that makes it's effects timeless :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:29 pm 
Elf
Elf

I think it was Peter Jackson who said something to the effect of "regardless of what changes, of what technology or special effects come along, these movies will last forever."

To me, I don't even have to add anything to that!

Post subject: Re: Depressing thing that I don't Know if i should even brin
PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 4:06 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

if you wacth other movies, the cgi is just the same as the lord of the rings and Lord of the Rings was a major break through in cinema history, and Peter said himself nobody could of done this if they did not under CGI and never belived it would be him doing it :-D . There is no problem with it, usally my TV! :) plus tear yourself away from the CGI and look at the scenery and costumes and acting, and as i watch a lot of old movies, i seen some funny moments that you would die if you saw!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 1:44 am 
Istari
Istari

I think that years from now people will still look at characters like Gollum and the Ents and say 'now that is some awesome CGI'. Every movie starts to look dated after a while, but LotR will survive. Classics may be dated, but they remain awesome forever. I hate comparin LotR to this, but for example look at Ghostbusters. It is really, really dated but they still air it on tv and people still buy Ghostbusters shirts and games...it probably helps that the theme song is awesome too.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 2:30 pm 
Istari
Istari

One thing I've noticed is how the LOTR graphics look so much better than current graphics. Anybody else notice that?

"Looking behind"