Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "minor" characters
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 11:52 pm 

Fatty Bolger. Goldberry. Celeborn. Gildor. Sackville-Bagginses. Barliman Butterbur.

This this the place to discuss your favorite minor characters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 6:34 am 
Maia
Maia

My favourite minor character has to be Goldberry. :-D She’s just such a mysterious being – in several books I’ve read concerning characters and places in Tolkien, they’ve said that she could be some kind of earth spirit or even a Maia, though they do add that the latter is very unlikely (not to mention the fact that a Maia probably wouldn’t have a name like Goldberry anyway!); I think Tolkien actually said she was a daughter of the River Woman. Anyhoo! :lol:
I love Goldberry because there’s something so secret about her; something even a little Elvish about her, in the way that much of her life is a mystery to us. Yet she has something warmer than the Elves, and that’s the best way I can explain it; she does not have their sorrow, and sings in joy, not in lament of days long passed. She isn’t fading, and her time isn’t ending; we don’t really know if she’s immortal or mortal, at least I don’t think I can remember any passage that concerns that. But she’s beautiful; I love the way Tolkien describes her garments, the flowers in her gowns, etc. There’s almost a Galadriel-esque quality about her in her appearance.
And lastly, I think it’s so wonderful the way she and Tom Bombadil are so content and happy in their lives; I love the chapter when they’re welcoming the hobbits to their home. They live somewhere that’s cut off from the ordinary outside world, and they can be forever merry without the usual attachments of usual mortality or immortality. I absolutely adore them.
And that’s my ramble finished! Hooray for all these new posts to reply to! :-D

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Last edited by ~Goldleaf~ on July 1st, 2011, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 11:12 am 
Elf
Elf

Butterbur is just a really funny character. :lol: I think my favorite minor character though has to be Gildor. I love when he says "courage is found in unlikely places." That's one of the most profound quotes I've ever read, and I think people overlook it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 7:40 pm 

I haven't read FotR in so long, but Fatty Bolger is perhaps one of my favourite "minor characters". It's a real shame that he isn't included in the movies, and is essentially left out of the fellowship and the rest of the trilogy. Sometimes I wonder why Tolkien included him in the first place.

Another favourite of mine, and perhaps one of Tolkien's most studied characters, is Tom Bombadil. He's one of those people that you just can't put your finger on. He's real and yet ethereal, and even the Hobbits aren't sure whether they should trust him or not. He just seems to live on a completely different plane of existence than everyone else. I would have loved to have his character fleshed out more fully. Of course, the question we all ask is, is he one of the Maiar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2009, 4:33 pm 
Maia
Maia

Tom Bombadil and Goldberry: They're just cool characters. There's something mysterious about them, yet they're extremely friendly and welcoming. They live in harmony with everything and everyone.

Gildor: poor Gildor gets forgotten, but he's really an important minor character you know. he helps reassure Frodo; gives him some confidence too.

Butterbur: just an amusing yet frustrating addition. it's hard not to like him cause he's an honest, simple man. but there are times you just want to smack him for being so scatterbrained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:44 pm 

Esteleth wrote:
Butterbur is just a really funny character. :lol: I think my favorite minor character though has to be Gildor. I love when he says "courage is found in unlikely places." That's one of the most profound quotes I've ever read, and I think people overlook it a lot.

I love Gildor and his quotes. One of my favorite quotes from LotR as a whole is from him "The wide world is all about you. You can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out." And just getting to see the elves traveling through, outside of the (almost terrifying) sight of the great Lords and Ladies.

I also love Fatty. I mean come on. He lived in the house by himself pretending to be Frodo, and came close to getting killed. He was terrified and rallied the town anyway. He's heroic! But he always gets forgotten because he isn't part of the fellowship.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 1:28 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

~Goldleaf~ wrote:
I love Goldberry because there’s something so secret about her; something even a little Elvish about her, in the way that much of her life is a mystery to us. Yet she has something warmer than the Elves, and that’s the best way I can explain it; she does not have their sorrow, and sings in joy, not in lament of days long passed.

That's a lovely way of putting it, Goldleaf. I've always loved Goldberry too, but could never quite put my finger on why. You're right though; she's warmer than the Elves.

Personally, though-LOBELIA FTW! Seriously, Lobelia Sackville-Bagginses is such an amusing and interesting character. She starts out as this crusty, grouchy, annoying old woman set on getting Bag End. But underneath that is this courage and spunk that I love; she doesn't sit down and take it when the Shire's being overrun-she goes at the ruffians with her umbrella! She survives the lockholes and insists on tottering off on her own two feet, flustered and triumphant. And when she dies, she leaves her home and belongings to Frodo. :teehee: I love her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 9:05 pm 
Maia
Maia

Goldy, and Min: I agree with you both! Goldy's just amazing! I really want to be able to 'meet' her, and dance, and have fun and...OH!

It'll just be great! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2010, 8:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

I love Freddy and Rosie. Those are my two favorites... of course I may be biased because I made a fan film about them... but Rosie and Freddy (according to the appendicies) had some things going on in their own lifes during the time of the invasion of the shire and probably had some interesting adventures of their own.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2010, 3:54 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Also, Celeborn is one of my favourite minor characters; he's possibly the male equivalent of my Arwen obsession, and one of my biggest peeves in the FotR movie is that they made him into a mumbling Mr. Galadriel. Thankfully the EE remedied that a little.

Anyways, I thought I'd post a link to a fabulous Book!Celeborn essay I stumbled across a couple years ago. It's a really good, engaging read, well supported by the canon, and it really opens this character up.

http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/ch ... pordinal=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 11:56 am 

Wow, that was a really good essay! I really enjoyed it. It's true that Celeborn is really not represented well in the movies, and that tends to put people off of the character. But come on, he is the Lord of the Golden Wood. He's got to be something pretty great.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:51 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Glorfindel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 5:16 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I suppose Glorfindel is a pretty awesome character, when you think about it. I never paid that much attention to him, most of my elf-love being reserved for Celeborn, Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir. :D

But now that I think about it, it's kind of interesting how he's so old, but he doesn't seem to have much of the world-weariness that accompanies some of the other elves? Elrond is preparing to pass, Galadriel passes as well, they both seem kind of worn down by Middle-Earth. It's just the sense I get from them. Celeborn and Glorfindel, though, (and Elladan and Elrohir, though they're younger so it's more understandable) don't seem to have that weariness about them. They're still in love with Middle-Earth, still energetic, still there in a way that the others don't seem to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 7:52 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Very true. Theres just something about Glorfindel that speaks to me. I've always wondered what it's be like if he was more involved with the fellowship.

Post subject: Re: The "minor" characters
PostPosted: May 7th, 2011, 10:09 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hmm. Well, my favorite have to be Tom Bombadil. :D He's such a mysterious and easy-going character. Just reading about him feels interesting. There's not much the reader knows about him, and he's intriguing and thought-provoking, yet happy and fun to read about all at the same time.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: The "minor" characters
PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 3:55 am 
Istari
Istari

Of course Tom Bombadil, because without him, it wouldn't be the same book and Hobbits wouldn't survive.

And Gildor, because he is pure awesomesauce. I love the way he talks, the way he do everything. But hey, he is an elf!