Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 10:55 pm 
Maia
Maia

Well, I looked all through this board and didn't find a thread on this series. So, I thought I'd start one. :D

The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is about a dyslexic, ADHD boy, Percy, who is failing middle school and is dealing with a cruel stepfather at home. Then, one day, in a very sudden turn of events, the greek myths that Percy had learned in school start appearing in real life - The greek gods, Satyrs, Centaurs and a whole world of monsters are quite real in New York City. And when he goes to the summer camp, 'Camp Half-Blood', Percy learns that he is a half-blood. That is, he is half human and half god. The books center around Percy, his friends (and enemies) and their adventures.

Here are the book titles:

Book #1 - The Lightning Thief
Book #2 - The Sea of Monsters
Book #3 - The Titan's Curse
Book #4 - The Battle of the Labyrinth
Book #5 - The Last Olympian

I have read books 1, 2, and 3 so far, and am loving them. I've learned a good deal about greek mythology, both in school and in my own reading, and for anyone who knows much about greek mythology, these books are a joy to read. The author, Rick Riordan, has a very good sense of humor, and puts an amusing and very fitting modern twist on all of the gods, goddesses, and monsters. Seeing the dignified gods of the Iliad and the Odyssey in a humorous modern light is something I find very, very amusing and fun to read. :D

So.... Anyone else out there like these books? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 10:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have read them! I started when I was younger, but not Im finding myself a bit old, and not so interested. But I will definitely read the Last Olympian when I can get my hands on it ;) I tend to try and finish what I start.

They are really great, and they definitely got me learning about Greek mythology. I went and read the Odyssey, and whole hordes of stories, and I found it delightful.

I think that the plot's been rather well thought out, and I love the story in itself. I usually try to read things with more meat on them now (proper 'literature' as my father calls it) and Im finding myself slowly drifting away from fantasy (in terms of reading). Its really funny, and highly entertaining :D

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2009, 1:14 pm 
Maia
Maia

I just finished the fourth book... It was the best yet! Can't wait to get my hands on the fifth!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 8:08 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Well, I stumbled accross this thread and just wanted to say I read the entire series last christmas and loved it from start to finish, probably cause I'm a huge mythology fan and couldn't stop laughing at Rick Riordan's re-imagining of the myths. But all in all, it was a very fun read, fast-paced and very imaginative, Riordan can certainly paint a picture when describing action sequences. My favorite book was #5, but #3 is right up there.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 12:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am currently reading the series.
Book #1 - The Lightning Thief: Different than the film but way enjoyable.
Book #2 - The Sea of Monsters: The beginning is amazing and it gets better till the end.

Profile       WWW