Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 4:57 pm 

Arwen the webmaster wrote:
Re: "someone blow the magic whistle to bring Arweb back to the thread"

Ooh lookie, it worked! :P
Thanks for posting. I didn't know if you were still checking up on the discussions here and I figured it would be a good time to get your feedback on the progress. I think we're all trying to find our legs and figure out how this process is going to work. We've come a long way already but it is a slow process no matter how we do it - if we want to do it thoroughly and properly. And it's great to have you around as our wise Yoda or like Gandalf who comes and goes as he pleases and when his council is needed. :)

But I think we pretty much agreed on having a small group of coders (2-4?) have access to the passwords and to actually changing stuff and adding new content to the site. A few people have graciously volunteered so before we proceed we should probably sort out how and when (and if) you (Arweb) would approve those guys? What did you have in mind?
I think I voiced the idea in another thread that perhaps you guys in question could set up a live chat with Arweb to discuss what running the main site entails exactly. There must be a lot of practical details you need to know about before you can go on with.. everything?
Would this be possible?

And there is the money issue... we haven't come any closer to a solution...

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 5:40 pm 

A small suggestion...

Is there some place the coders could use as a "workshop" or "trial site"? A Freewebs account or A-U subdomain where all of them could work on it little by little and be able to preview so they could get it just right. Then when everybody decides it's ready, one person could just transfer it over the actual site. Sorry if this is a lousy idea... I'm not a coder or web designer at all, so I'm completely out of my depth here, but it seemed a way to solve the limited-access problem so I thought I'd throw it out there. :erm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 6:16 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I'm not a coder either, but that sounds like a good idea to me. It'd be up to the coders to set this up though, because they're the ones who know what they need.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 6:17 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

First with the comunication I was just trying to find a way so as we're not flooding each other with emails, is all. But I like the idea given about that.

Second, the list I gave was just the people who said they would be willing to code, and I was going to pm them to find out exactly how much coding they knew and choose 3-5 of those people to be our coders. I have not yet gotten to that.

Third, I really really like Taur's idea about having some kind of test site. Just so you know.

And with the money issue... according to my people, between four people they're willing to donate $26USD a month, with 3 people saying they'd donate what they can when they can. Having just got a job, I might be able to come up with that $4USD a month, but I haven't actually started working yet. And I need to find out who those four people are, too... But this part should probably go to the Funding discussion since this is the Sign up for Jobs thread...

Edit:
And an idea I came up with. Every single one of us participating has offered to help someway or other on the main site. What if those of us who are actively helping on the main site also be our new mods? Since we're kind of becoming the staff of the main site, why not be the staff of the forum as well? With each taking charge of a different board and/or job on the forum(or maybe even have the forum jobs rotated between the mods like I'm pretty sure used to happen).

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 6:33 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^ No worries about the coders, take the time you need. You probably won't be the first ones to get to work anyways, as the graphics and writing people need to do stuff first.
As you've probably figured already I like to stay on top of things though, so if you could just let me know who ends up being coders, that'd be great (I'm sorry to everyone if it seems like I'm trying to control what you're doing - that's not my intent, I just think it'll be easier to Oversee all the details if I know who's doing what).

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 6:35 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Alright! I will probably let everyone know who the coders are for when the stuff needs to be sent to the coders.

And I think it's great that someone is stepping up to oversee things. You've got no complaints from me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 6:52 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well if you still want to PM me about the coding then you can, but I would just like to state I would be very interested to help with the coding, as while I don't feel I am good enough to make decisions like "if we put this PHP code here it will make this code below look better" or "this is how AU should now look", I know enough, I feel to help the super coders and do boring bits of coding like adding images etc. :-)

BTW, the ideas for the Mods is a good one. As I have been saying for a while now, I feel the Mods that are appointed will be very much a "caretaker" role. In as much as keeping the forum tidy, archiving old but important/memorable threads and just being around to move topics that are placed wrongly. I don't see them as being needed to keep the peace anymore, as we have done fine without that sort of Modding for a while now. Not saying if a fight broke out someone shouldn't step in, but I think the newer Mods should really be seen as the cleaners really. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 10:10 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I was thinking that if I were to take over communications, it would be with one or two other people to make sure there's always someone there. Should we start looking at all of the bazillion emails currently unread on the arwen@arwen-undomiel.com address? It might end up being a potential gold mine of stuff that people have sent in over the years. I would really love to be involved with communications (acting as inter-site communication and dealing with fan sent emails), and I would really love to do that job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 4:48 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Okay I know this really isn't the place, but it's the only thread I can actually read, so I just wanted to say that if you have answers for what I wrote on your other threads that you want me to see within the next 24 hours, you'd have to pm them to me.
And I'm really sorry about my stupid comp situation and I would fix it if I could and I realize that there probably isn't anything that's urgent enough for you to want to pm me but I just really hate not being able to read the other threads and now I'm ranting so I'll stop.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 5:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Alrighty, looks like there are some questions (questions that need answering :teehee: ).

<b>Spam accounts</b> - The only way to get rid of them is to have moderator or administrator permissions. Which brings us to...

<b>Moderators</b> - This issue was bound to come up again, and of course we still do need new moderators. Only one active moderator responded to my question about helping me pick new moderators, so basically I seem to be the only one who would be overseeing the selection process. This is not something I relish doing, to be honest. As always with the moderator selection, it's bound to offend some people who aren't chosen. Which brings us to...

<b>Who gets access to what</b> - I have no problem with anybody who has the time/inclination helping out with A-U. What still poses issues for me is who has the ability to really change things. I honestly can't say oh, yes, whoever volunteers, here's a password, have fun. I realise this may not sit well with everyone, but for choosing people with access to important stuff (this includes ftp access, moderator permissions, and the old webmaster e-mail address), I need to be looking at members' levels of activity, length of membership, posting history, etc. <i>I really don't want to offend anyone, but I'm not comfortable giving access willy-nilly.</i> It would be wonderful to have people manage a new A-U contact e-mail address, post news stories on the main site, etc. But access to other things is going to be a little more sensitive.

That said, for things like clearing out all the spam accounts - maybe there can be a temporary moderator status cleaning party? Just an idea.

Um, other things...

<b>Tag-board</b> - someone asked about this, whether it was still active. As far as I know, that tag-board server has been dead for some time. I can still login to the A-U account, but even the demo board on the server site doesn't work anymore. You're welcome to save the code and see if it works somewhere down the road, but for now, I'd work on a layout that doesn't incorporate the tag anymore, or see if you can find an alternate script. Sorry, folks - this one's out of my control.

<b>Setting up a "demo" account for coders to test things</b> - Most things coders will be testing can be tested on one's own computer without uploading anything to the web. If you want to try out more complex things, such as any php scripts, I can create a test subdomain on A-U for the coders to use.

<b>Screencaps</b> - The friend who wrote the php gallery script provided several sorting options within the script itself (alphabetical order, reverse alphabetical order, date modified, and reverse date modified). I didn't save the RotK screencaps with properly numbered file names, so they're all wonky, but I think the FotR and TTT ones are numbered properly, and should be ordered correctly as long as the sorting system is set to alphabetical order. Or you can recap or implement a new gallery system.

<b>Money</b> - I would appreciate any financial support that you guys can provide, but for now I'm able to cover whatever's left over after donations.

<b>Group chat to go over stuff</b> - Sure. We can put the old chat room to use or arrange something on Skype or somewhere else.

Were there any other questions?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 9:21 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

I think all of that sounds reasonable, Arweb. The moderators thing needs to be handled at some point, and so far we've kind of just pussyfooted around it, for the sake of other things. And honestly, I think the spam accounts can wait until we get a consensus of how the nomination of mods should work.

Also, Ana and Haldir, if you guys need any help with keeping stuff together, I'm perfectly willing, since I think that's the only way I could actually be of any use, since I don't know anything about coding or graphics. Haha.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 9:23 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Good to know :) There are other things than graphics and coding that needs to be done, though - if you head over to Nurr's non-image headquarters there's a list of things to do that you could have a look at. We need all the hands we can get :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 2:06 pm 

Since everything seems to be getting figured out, is it about time for us to all sit down (with Arweb) and figure out who has access to things? We've started with getting the content ready, so it'd be nice to be able to to fully get going. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 11:59 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Alright. I had sent out an email to 9 people. 9 people who had volunteered to help out. (This is excluding myself. And Timx4 since someone had already said that Timx4 had said that they wouldn't have that much time to commit...) And out of that nine, only four people replied back.
Larael
Elberethsq
Haldir
Nurrantiel Mashiara

Although I'm wondering if Lothy, Pandora, Ammy Dawne, Altariel Frodo, and JF(Gimli) even got my PM... I was going to wait until I had heard from everyone that I had pmed, but I guess I'm wondering if the other five even got it or not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 6:55 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^I have a feeling pm'ing has been somewhat malfunctioning as of late. But it might just be that they haven't got around to answering yet. As for Ammy, she's said she's not available to help out with this because she's got so much RL stuff going on.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2011, 9:59 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

That I know of it hasn't... I've been rping back and forth for some time with another member, and haven't come across any malfunction whatso ever.

But, I've gotten one more, but I don't want to have to say someone can't do it simply because they didn't pm me... but it has been awhile... There's still three people that haven't been heard from...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next