Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Forum Headquarters
PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 10:10 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Don't worry Arweb, the button looks just fine where it is. It was just an idea. :)

Hahaha I just tried to register with a new account. That was awesome. I was having so much fun playing around with it. New forum features are so awesome. :teehee:

By the way, the adds that are smacked in the middle of each thread, do they have to be there or can they be moved to the bottom of the page?

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 11:04 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Gimli wrote:
BTW, I asked this question a while back, but I thought I'd ask you as well. :yes: Is there anyway to get AU higher up the search engine on google? I mean, I know when you type "Arwen" it's pretty high up, but I was thinking about when people type "Lord of the Rings". Would AU appear for "lord of the Rings" at all? And if not, is there anything that could make it be a listed option when someone searches for LOTR? Do the Bots do anything?

:)

I LOVE the LOTR questions when you try to register. :teehee: Needless to say, I had to try.

Apart from the width, everything is looking really great. It looks a little odd the me that usernames are to the left on profiles and everything underneath is central, but I guess that's because of how it used to be before. I can live with it if everyone else likes it anyway. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 11:07 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

^ Do you mean the profile to the left of your post? To me, everything is aligned to the left. Nothing is centered. The username appeared centered to me before but Arweb changed that.

This is what it looks like for me on a 1024x768 screen resolution:

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:09 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

It must just be me then, as it looks like this for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

AHHHHHHH WHY ARE YOU USING INTERNET EXPLORER??????

*ahem*

Sorry, I hate IE with a passion :-P But I'll look into it and see if there's a fix for not having everything centered in that browser. Now I know what you're talking about at least!

As for search engines, we'd have to look into SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for A-U, but I have to admit that at this point I'd rather hand that over to you guys who will be more in charge. Not really my specialty of stuff, but I'm sure there are tons of tutorials out there on it.

Eru, I set up the ad manager to have ads display both at the bottom of every page and after every first post, but I agree that after every first post is a little distracting. I'd like to have more than one ad per page so we can try to generate a little more revenue, but I'm not really sure where else to put them. At the top of every page seems a little obnoxious. Any ideas?

Everything should be switched from 85% wide to 100%, with borders changed to a subtle dark blue. Let me know if anything's still looking weird. Might look into installing more modifications at a later point, but that's the main stuff taken care of. Ciao!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:42 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ LOL!

Well if it helps any it's the very latest newest snazzy version. I was a Firefox convert for a while when the years old and outdated IE was acting up, but when my new computer was set up with the new IE... yes, I'm fickle. :P

If you can't fix it though, or it's too much of a hassle, I can use Firefox if it will be easier for you.

Ah-ha! No, that's OK, I was just really curious to know if it was something you could flick or push or something. :yes: But now I know something can possibly be done... you have quenched my curiosity. Ta chuck. :yes:

And a big masssive hip-hip for Arwen for tackling all those evil codes and buttons and things that go wrong and drive you crazy and make you want to throw things at people you hate! [which might not be a bad idea but you could get arrested for assualt which would be very very bad] :wave: :wave:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 5:17 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Silly JF still using IE. :fish: Have a look in Firefox and see if you still have the same problem with your profile being centered. If you do, then maybe it's due to your resolution. If you don't, well then just stop using IE. ;)

YAYYYY Arweb it all looks great! :wave: Now I feel like I can finally fully enjoy the new forum. :D

About the ads, I see your point. And it's not possible to place both ads at the bottom of the page, next to one another? Or maybe have the other ad right above the Quick Reply? That might not be an option, but I just thought I would ask. :)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 9:26 am 

ErulissëEnethNîn wrote:
Silly JF still using IE. :fish: Have a look in Firefox and see if you still have the same problem with your profile being centered. If you do, then maybe it's due to your resolution. If you don't, well then just stop using IE. ;)

I use IE as well, so I've got the same problem.. And yes, I'm very conservative when it comes down to using software and stuff. :teehee:

First of all, a big THANK YOU to Arwen for making this all work! You're amazing, did you know that? :) :hug:

Second, I'm going to be really annoying and tell which things doesn't seem really right for me.
- Advertisement in between the posts.. Is that normal with the new software? Or is it just me? It's kind of annoying.
- Obviously the width, I think I have the same problem as JF, everything seems very stretched out, and all posts are centered. And the Quick Reply Box is HUGE. :P Also, those options for "View unread posts", "View last posts", are kind of messed up..
- Also the option for profile is missing in the grey are (where you can click to see your PMs or log out).

Edit:

Are those members with those weird names spammers ? :erm: (Google (bot), Yahoo (bot), Exabot (bot)) ?

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 9:55 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Will, the problem JF had (and myself) wasn't that it was stretched out, it was that it was all squished together. This is much more preferable than all squished together like it was before (with individual posts being different width depending on the person's sig size).

Posts and profile information are only centered on IE. Switch to Firefox, Safari or Opera. :p

"User Control Panel" is the same thing as "Profile" on the old forum version.

Arweb, I fixed some more flags to be uploaded:
Attachment:
mordor.png
Attachment:
gondor.png
Attachment:
rohan.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by ErulissëEnethNîn on March 19th, 2011, 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 9:56 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

And three more:
Attachment:
england.png
Attachment:
scotland.png
Attachment:
wales.png

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 10:16 am 

ErulissëEnethNîn wrote:
Will, the problem JF had (and myself) wasn't that it was stretched out, it was that it was all squished together. This is much more preferable than all squished together like it was before (with individual posts being different width depending on the person's sig size).

Okay, I didn't get that. :P So this is how it's supposed to be now then? Do you also have ads in between the user posts?

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 10:28 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I have one ad right after the first post of each page but that is the only one (apart from the one down at the very bottom of each page). Do you have one in between each post?

We're on 100% at the moment. Arweb had previously set it to 85% but that's what made all the posts look wonky (at different widths) and the forum view very squished together. Maybe Arweb could try a 95% and see how it looks?

Oh and Arweb, I noticed something else that might need fixing. When you're making a new post/reply, the smilies box/area thingy is holding far too many smilies making it very long and stretched out. At least for me.

:)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:01 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

So at the moment, we're meant to be seeing each post at a different width depending on the posters sig?

Or is that just us IE users. :tongue:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:03 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm pretty sure that's just IE. But I did notice that when I'd posted some pictures in a different thread that was wider than the 85% width, just that one post was wider, not the whole thread. So I dunno, maybe it's all of us. They're all the same width on mine...

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:13 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well I think as long as I don't have to hurt my eyes and use a 1024x768 screen, and if there are too many problems for a very few number of IE users and it's a lot for Arwen to do, I guess I could live with using Firefiox just for here.

Wow... everything looks so nice on Firefox.
:blink:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:16 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Of course. It's Firefox. :teehee:

Gimli wrote:
So at the moment, we're meant to be seeing each post at a different width depending on the posters sig?

Or is that just us IE users. :tongue:

No at the moment, you're supposed to be seeing all posts at the same width. Before, when we were at 85%, all posts were different width for me depending on the length of the person's banner and it was all centered. Not anymore for me. Now everything is the same width and when I view threads where members have posted a picture much wider than the forum, that particular post stretches out towards the right, but everything else stays put to the left.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next