Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Access: server, main site updates, forum skins, mods, et
PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 9:23 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

So... I'm not exactly sure where to ask this... but how am I going to go about with my art featuring? Am I getting a page in the fan art section? Like "Weakly Feature" page or something? Or is there a way to set it up like a news article so I don't have to go through a coder?

By the way, congrats on the update! It's nice to see a date that's not almost three years old on the main site! Woot woot! It's exciting!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 9:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ I was thinking of having a link to said artwork on the main page rather than just having a special section on the fanart page. You know the part of the home page which currently says featured site? Having something like that, a close-up of the artwork or something that will make people want to know what the entire image looks like... then that will link to it's URL from the fanart page. Underneath the image on the homepage you could say a few words about the artist/artwork and link back to their DA page or whatever.

The homepage in my opinion, needs some major cleaning up to accomodate for things like fanart of the week, Hobbit news and site news seperately etc. I'd like to have a "picture of the week" as well, something funny.. something touching... just to have a few things for visitors to want to come back and see what's new this week. But we can work on that when the time comes.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 9:37 pm 

Thanks everyone! Seriously, it was so nerve wracking posting for the first time. I read over the paragraph and the HTML bits so many times to make sure it would come out right. I didn't realise though that Arwen makes the link text a white colour. I'll have to do that in the future.

Keep up the good work everyone!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 1:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

^ The links are only a whiteish color if they're unvisited. If you've visited the pages to which you're linking, then they'll show up as a grey-blue for you :) So no worries! You did a fantastic job.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 4:29 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

So then it would kind of be like a news thing, in which case I should sign up for commenting and such, too?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 4:35 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Eruraina wrote:
So then it would kind of be like a news thing, in which case I should sign up for commenting and such, too?

No, not really a news thing. It would be more of a coding thing I guess. A special section on the layout to have your section about the fanart you have chosen for this week/month. That's the way I see it anyway, I don't know about other people. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 4:44 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I second that :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 6:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Just wanted to give a big thank you to JF and Larael for keeping the news up to date. You've broken a couple Hobbit-news announcements for me! (Of course this might be because I don't routinely check TORn, but...it's still really cool to get my news from A-U :-D) Hope you don't mind when I make tiny edits to the articles...I just noticed a typo on Saoirse Ronan's name and stuff (to be fair, she has an IMPOSSIBLE name :teehee: ). Anyway, awesome job :notworthy:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 6:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

No problem. I have a bad habit of somehow adding news when I am also being pestered by the motherload, and a really bad OCD like quality for not wanting to wait and get it up when it's ready to go. I hate errors, so any correcting is greatly appreciated.

Yes, we have beaten TORN to a couple of things actually. ;)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 9:04 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Eruraina wrote:

No, not really a news thing. It would be more of a coding thing I guess. A special section on the layout to have your section about the fanart you have chosen for this week/month. That's the way I see it anyway, I don't know about other people. :-)

How about this; There's a section, a small square, that shows thumbnails of the featured art, and a link to a page where the features are. And maybe we could set it up like the front page. Like, having the updates, since you don't need to access the code for that which would make it easier for me, and everybody else really. Okay, my brain is a bit scattered. What I mean is, is it possible to have another page where you could have something like the news on the front page? But instead of it just being news, it would be the featured art, and be somewhere in the fan art section(We are keeping that section, correct?). Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, but as we've already been posting here for a while now, I'll carry on.

Myself and Raina have been discussing the fanart section. Our idea is this: on the main site page, very much like the "featured site" button, there will be a clickable image of a piece of fanart. When clicked this will take the guest to a page which will be called "Featured Art". On this page will be 5 (at the moment Raina thinks 5 per 2 weeks is managable but this might change) larger thumbnails, of the art Raina likes the most. Underneath these images will be a brief bit about why she likes them and who the artist is, and also a plug where applicable. Obviously, people will click the thumbnails to see the full image. Then when the weeks pass and she finds 5 more, they will be changed. At the bottom of the "Featured Art" page, will be past featured art, with links to those images (kinda like how come contests keep a record of past rounds) so that guests can see what has been given the top spot in the past. These featured artworks may be taken direct from the gallery (and Raina may just wanted to give it a shout out) or they may be something new to AU, with hopes they will be permitted to be shown in the gallery.

There are a few finer details regarding, whether the general fanart section will be categorized by the type of art (watercolour, pencil etc) or if we clump them all together. And whether the featured art is strictly chosen by Rainia or people can put forward their pieces for featuring.

But I just thought I would let you guys know, that this is something we're expecting to have done by the end of next week, complete with new fanart gallery, featured page and also button on the main page if all goes to plan and I don't blow up AU and the other coders are OK with this idea. :P I just think it will be an easier thing to do than some things, and it won't mean I'm messing around with the coding or anything, so I won't be in the way or anything Tel is doing. And it will also be n ice for you guys to see something has happened yes? :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:51 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Sounds great to me :)
I think people should be allowed to submit art for featuring, but ultimately it would be up to Eruraina whether or not she wants to.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

:-)

Well they will be allowed to sumbit art to the main gallery - Rainia thinks when last I spoke with her like you do. I'm more of the opinion "oooh, I was chosen by A-U to be featured... how unexpected!" ... if you know what I mean. ;)

But these are the little details that will get ironed out, and won't affect any coding or progress.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:56 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Ahh, that makes sense :) Yes unexpected special featuring is good ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 4:16 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I like that idea - another good way to get visitors involved in the site and be excited enough to constantly come back. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 5:10 pm 
Elf
Elf

That sounds like what they do on MuggleNet! Awesome, I like it. Maybe this would be a chance for me to improve my drawing skills, haha. :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next