Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy RP: A Team Effort (Come join! I have candy!)
PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 2:16 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Viola followed swiftly behind the shapeshifter, oblivious to the rest of their band. If they joined them, they joined them. If not, well, that was the end of their brief relationship. She was rather sceptical of some of them and their ability to survive in this world and wondered how best they would serve the band. And to be perfectly honest, she was pleased they were finally moving. She had begun to think if it wasn't better for her to go off on her own. They passed around the town that she had explored a short while ago. Though she had doubts there were anything worth salvaging left in the ruined buildings, she did consider asking the shapeshifter if they wanted to check for supplies and the like. The food packs that the Intelligence Service had given her for the journey were half way gone and she certainly did not have enough to share for any length of journey unless the "promised land" was only two days away.

Something caught her eye hovering over one of the buildings. A gentle wisp of smoke blowing somewhere in the town. It could be anything but considering that this town has been deserted for quite some time, it didn't seem plausible that a fire would start naturally and be contained. The surrounding buildings should have began to burn by now. This meant someone was still here.

She dismounted from her horse, handed the reins to the shapeshifter who remained her only companion for now, and simply said, "Mind the horse, please." She then unsheathed a dagger and lowered the perception of her to a bare minimum. Now unless she did something blatantly obvious, they wouldn't be able to see her even if she was standing right in front of them. Quietly she moved back into the town. The building that she was looking for had a charming little hole through the roof, which is where the smoke was flying through on its way out. The walls however were mostly intact and when she crept around a wall, she found someone standing next to the door. He was dressed in mismatched clothes and armour and a steel axe was the only visible weapon he had possessed. In any case, through the front door was not a valid way of entry, even with her lowered visibility.

So it was through a window and it wasn't long until Viola found one that she could sneak into. It turned out she was in a barracks of some sort with mats and blankets laid out abandoned for the day. She moved from that room into the main area where there were seven guys, garbed in similar material as the guard they had posted. One of them in particular got her interest. His clothes were a little more refined than the rest and rather than a spear or an axe, he was holding a sword. An unsheathed sword that was missing its scabbard and with a notched blade, but a sword nevertheless. She wondered vaguely though if he even knew how to use it. The fire that draw her attention in the first place had some sort of animal roasting in it. The apocalypse was devastating for the beasts of this world and it was rumoured that it had changed some of them for the worst. But that was ignored in favour of a card game they were playing, using stones as wagers. Viola felt that she had learned enough and made her departure back to the shapeshifter. She was confident he would be interested to hear about them.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 9th, 2011, 10:30 pm 
Vala
Vala

((Bumpity doo da!
Come on! Don't let this die!))

Kedab caught the reins with one hand, grimacing as the horse shook its head and snorted. He looked it over with hungry eyes, wondering how the lady would react if she came back and found him butchering the animal. She certainly didn't need it, not when she was the pace was set at human walking speed. A horse would just get in the way and eat all the food. iHe had a blade on him, and he could cut the horses neck before the girl even realized what happened. Kadeb glanced in her direction, to see if she was looking or not. There was nothing there. His breath caught in his throat. That was impossible. There was no way she could have moved that quickly. It was like she had disappeared. He could hear a few faint footsteps,and catch a faint scent, but the senses were mere ghosts of what they should have.

His desire to eat the horse forgotten, he sniffed the air again and prayed for any clue as to what was happening. The smell of meat cooking over a camp fire hit his nostrils. Still more humans? Kadeb snorted with unease. He spotted the smoke from their campfire, and guessed that was the direction the girl had run off to. He was wary of her now--her disappearing trick was far too unnerving--but at the same time he wanted the reconnaissance she could provide.

He returned minutes later, appearing as suddenly to his senses as she had disappeared. He jumped with the shock, but tried to hide his surprise. "What did you find?" he asked.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 5:11 pm 
Maia
Maia

Onnekaz silently waited for Viola to answer. But he knew there was no need for her to be stating the obvious. The only way for a fire to have been started and contained was if there were people there. He had a feeling that there was more than just one person at the source. He could hear voices though he couldn't make out what they were saying.
He was glad he had his bow out incase the people that could potentially emerge would be hostile.
'' I might even be able to take them all out before they get within sword-fighting distance'' he smirked to himself.

Before Viola could properly make her answer he thought he should state the obvious as it seemed they were all a bit slow on the uptake. '' Is that not obvious? '' he said mainly addressing Kadeb but also regarding the others as well. '' It would seem that there are people there who at the very least are considerably armed and numbered otherwise our flash like companion would have come back with either blood on her weapon which there isn't or a new stranger which also there is none. '' He paused taking in there reactions with a slight smirk.
'' Now I would say in our best interests we should go, and overpower them and take whatever provisions they have. Judging by the fire and the smell of meat in the air we would be able to find food.'' He knew that many of them would be almost starving and he had noticed the odd way Kadeb kept looking at the horse. But Onnekaz himself was also hungry, being an elf has its advantages but he still needed to eat like every other living being.
He then strung an arrow then started forward, giving the others a meaningful look to join him.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 5:30 pm 

Drat, they were on the move. Evelyn broke out into a trot in order to meet up with the group, who managed to stop not far away anyway. What was the point in moving in the first place? he grumbled to himself.

Breathing heavily - my, he was more out of practice than he thought - Evelyn came up behind the others. He caught the tail end of the conversation. "...and overpower them and take whatever provisions they have. Judging by the fire and the smell of meat in the air we would be able to find food." An elf. Why was it elves were so bloodthirsty? The few who had come through his town in earlier times were much the same. Evelyn lamented his reading habits - in delving in the lore of old days, he had romanticized the elves. All that 'living off in the forest and singing to the birds' stuff didn't hold water in this day and age.

"Really?" He said, now that his breath was back. "You're just going to storm in and take what they've got? You can't think of any other options besides that?" He tried to keep the scorn out of his voice, but honestly. Did warriors only think with their swords?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 5:40 pm 
Maia
Maia

Onnekaz paused and regarded Evelyn. He was impressed with the boldness of him yet was somewhat stung by his words '' I'm doing what it takes to survive. Being nice especially in this day and age will not favour you.You will learn that in time.... should you survive.'' he added silently.
He then had a rush of feeling connected to his past. But he pushed it away before it could cloud his judgement.
He surveyed the child waiting for a reply. ''If you dont want to do this i can not force you, but i tell you now, everything i do is to survive. You should start thinking along the same lines if you wish to see another day.''

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:16 pm 

Evelyn could not help but let a snort escape from him. "I manage to find ways to survive, thanks," he said somewhat coolly. "And I don't have to rely on a hard stick in my hands to do it. Brute strength only lasts so long, and ends long before the mind." He began to realize that his words may not be making too many friends - much of the group was well armed and looked like they knew how to use them. Even that boy! What was he, ten? With a sword? Evelyn decided to change tactics.

"Not to say weapons are bad! Not at all! Just, there are multiple options to every situation. Who knows? You may need my brains sometime, when swords are no more use." He resented the look in the elf's eyes. Though he didn't say in so many words, the elf clearly thought Evelyn a young thing just out of the cradle. Well. He had managed to survive thirty-six years, and in these times it counted. People aged faster now. Even though the age was nothing to an elf, he had lived in the world.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 9:20 pm 
Elf
Elf

"I think he's right." Matthias said quietly, and then cleared his throat. "I think he's right. We don't have to go around stealing or killing innocent people just for our own sake because then we would be as good as murderers. And besides. . .now that we have a group of our own, well, strength is in numbers, right? I think that most of us are well trained with a blade and can defend the others if need be." He blushed as he realized that he had unconsciously included himself as part of that group. He wasn't ready to take on that job! "I mean," Matthias continued, "If we all are to go to this land that Kadeb mentioned."

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 9:45 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Viola ignored the assumptions that the elf and the humans had made, making her report to the highest authority like her training had taught her. In this case, it was the shapeshifter.

"There are eight guys around the campfire, one of them is standing guard. There may be scouts roaming about, though. They are in the remains of a house and have appeared to settle in it. They are armed but mostly with spears and axes. The leader has a sword but it is not in the best shape. The food that you're showing interest in should not interest you at all. It appears to be from a twisted beast. While I do not want to make assumptions, I would believe these men are bandits. Some of the stones they were gambling with appeared far too valuable to belong to them. Do what you will with this knowledge."

Personally, she would ignore them as they posed neither threat or interest to her. They appeared to be far too comfortable in the little hole they have made for themselves to wander for new land and she had no doubt that she could take all of them on. However if the elf wanted to eat that beast and if he wanted to fight him, by all means he could. And she would join him. Riding on the horse was far too...monotonous for her.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 12:59 am 
Maia
Maia

Onnekaz still regarded Evelyn. '' I do not doubt you '' he said trying to keep any sarcasm for his voice. ''But.....' His sentence trailed off after he heard Viola say ''..... I would beleive these men are bandits'' Onnekaz stiffened and heard nothing past the words bandits. He started shaking and his eyes had turned a crimson red. Flashes of memories of his mother's death came back to him, and with these strong emotions.
''Bandits'' he heard Viola say in his head again. '' Thieves, pillagers, scavengers, MURDERERS!!'' He cared not for the food as he didnt really need it as being an elf does have advantages the only thing on his mind was to attack the bandits. '' Eight round a campfire , one keeping watch and all armed with spears and axes'' He heard in his head again. He would make short work of them with his bow and if any were foolish enough to get within distance of Larka then that would be their problem.
Onnekaz then seemed to calm himself and then surveyed those around him. ''They must be dealt with,'' he said with a tone of no emotion though his eyes were still burning crimson. He would do anything in his power to help another from faring the same as he did in his childhood as a result of bandits. Without a second glance to them he made off towards them with his bow strung. If any were to follow him and help they may yet he knew he didn't need it.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 11:09 am 
Maia
Maia

(sorry to double post but wondering if people are still up with this?)

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 2:18 pm 
Elf
Elf

Matthias looked after Onnekaz, and then turned back to the others, a bit of surprise in his eyes as he realized that no one had moved at all. "Aren't you going to do something? Don't just stand there like a bunch of ninnys, aren't you going to help? If one of us dies, there'll be one less person in the world, and even fewer to come to that place you were talking about! Don't you see? We have to stick together if we want to make things right!"

He stared them each hard in the eyes. After getting no satisfactory response, he cocked his head cheekily.

"Well, I guess that I'll just have to do it myself."

And with that, Matthias drew his father's sword and ran after Onnekaz, down the hill to the town where the bandits waited.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 16th, 2011, 10:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

Kadeb glared at the back of the half-elf's head, watching as he trotted away towards the band of thieves on some personal vendetta. He had no love for bandits himself, but didn't go around killing everyone he could find. No, he preferred to conserve his energy and hide whenever they came around. Just let them pass him by, none the wiser to his existence. Secrecy was always the best option.

Then the little kid spoke up, spouting some world loving sappy crap about rainbows and honey and doing right. Kadeb was tempted to tell the kid that saving a man from his own stupidity could barely be considered good, but he held his tongue. As tempted as he was to run off, leaving the uptight elf and annoying kid to an uncertain fate, an odd curiosity came over him. He grumbled and tried to push the feeling away--he couldn't afford to be curious, not in these times--but the urge didn't go away. He certainly didn't want to help these two in a fight, but what if they succeeded on their own? Well, the kid would probably die, as scrawny as he was, but the elf just might have a chance. The thieves wouldn't have much, but Kadeb would happily sort through whatever items they did own.

Perhaps traveling with groups did have its perks. They could do the killing, like they wanted to, and he could reap in the benefits by looting the bodies and taking whatever supplies they had on them. He glanced to the rest of the group and gave a small shrug, as if to say "why not check it out?" He paced stealthily towards the bandits camp, intent on seeing how this fight would turn out.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 3:37 am 
Maia
Maia

Onnekaz moved towards the bandits. He knew he needed to keep a clear head. He kept to what shadows he found so that he wouldnt be discovered. He looked round a corner and saw the one who seemed to be keeping watch, he was now pacing back and forth and had his back to Onnekaz. '' I could take him out and the rest of them would be none the wiser''
Onnekaz crouched low and waited patiently. He then heard movement behind him he pointed his bow at the source to find that it was one of the young humans. Slightly irritated '' he'll probably get in the way,'' he thought. He motioned for him to be quiet and pointed round the corner. He nodded and Onnekaz took that as a sign that he understood.
He was brought back to the current situation when he heard footsteps approaching behind him. He drew Larka and waited as they got closer. But just as it seemed the right time he heard a gruff voice '' Anything happening out there?'' It must have been one of the others from the inside just checking quickly. As the guard turned his back and answered'' Nothing'' Onnekaz knew he had he perfect opportunity. He waited until he heard the footsteps head back into the house then while crouching low he moved up quietly behind him and with brute force, covered the mans mouth and snapped his neck before he knew what was going on. Onnekaz just managed to catch the body before it hit the floor. However he couldn't stop the axe from clattering to the floor. He cursed his luck and motioned for the Matthius to pick up the axe as he dragged the body out of sight.
He wasnt sure if anyone had heard it over the sounds of laughter coming from the inside by people who must have been having some sort of contest or game. '' Did you hear anything?'' He heard someone say from the inside.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 10:13 am 
Elf
Elf

Matthias picked up the axe carefully, handing it over to Onnekaz. They both froze as footsteps approached, growing louder and louder until they died away, leaving Matthias in more of a panic than he had been before. Why, why did he come down here?! He should have stayed with the others, waiting for this elf to come back. But no, he was here now and here he would stay; he didn't want Onnekaz to think him a coward. Especially when he had said that he could fight well. He couldn't let him down, not that he needed any help anyway.
He turned to the elf, waiting for instructions. What would they do now?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 11:08 am 
Maia
Maia

He knew that there was a fight about to take place, he was ready. He looked down at Matthius, he saw some degree of fear in his eyes but he was still here. Onnekaz was impressed against his will. Suddenly he heard what sounded like people sneaking towards them and moments later two of the bandits had come out of the door, both armed with spears. " What have we here? " Said one in a gruff voice, leering at them with several black teeth " a woman and a boy " said the other mistaking Onnekaz's long hair for that of a woman. Before they could advance Onnekaz hurled the axe killing one of them and shot an arrow towards the other which struck him in the neck. He drew Larka, "draw your sword" he said to Matthius.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 2:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

Matthias did as the elf told him to. Just holding the black leather hilt reassured and prepared him. He could hear his father saying the words of the drills they had gone through so many times; now was the time to put that knowledge to good use, at last. Cut, block, parry and thrust as three bandits emerged from within to avenge their fallen comrades. And then the world exploded into a place where the yells and blood of dying men were regular occurrences. Cut, block, parry and thrust; Matthias said that like a mantra over and over in his head. A man was running towards him from the other side of the room, drawing his knife as fast as lightning. Cut, block, parry and thrust, that became the rhythm they danced to, each trying to gain the upper hand. The bandit was smiling, he was confident that he would kill this boy easily. Matthias thought so too. But his arm guided the sword through the man's stomach, and, with a sound Matthias was sure he would remember forever, the bandit died. His body had fallen to the ground minutes ago, but the boy couldn't, wouldn't accept it. Down the sword went again and again into the bandit's lifeless form, the tip hitting the ground making a steel ping cascade through the room. He had done it, Matthias had killed him. But for what purpose? he wondered. This was the first time he had ever killed a person, and he didn't really like the feeling it gave him. Matthias didn't notice that all the rest were slain. He felt sick, his eyes seeing only the blade hit the floor again and again. It was like he couldn't stop, he had to keep doing this over and over. It provided a small measure of comfort, that steady beat becoming a constant throb. Something to hold onto when all else was chaos.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next