Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Coding Talk
PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 6:24 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Basically, PM'ing about the coding is a real pain. So this is for the coders to be able to keep up to date with what's happening and if any of us need any help, this is where we're going to post and get the help and advice needed from our co-coders. Not saying non-coders should butt out of these talks, but the other coding thread is more to do with general ideas etc, this is ideally just for us. It will make things a lot neater and hopefully be quicker in getting things sorted out.

So... onwards and upwards.

With or without updating AU, I would like to start deleting images from the banners pages. Not removing the banners from the system (Arwen may want them) but the coding. I have a list courtesy of myself and Nurr of what is definitely going (Nurr was the only one who volunteered to help me with this, so what we chose.. er.. goes... :P) and if anyone would like to help me do this, the more the merrier.

I have had a look at the coding for the Aragorn page, and the only problem I can see is the coding isn't in the same order as what is shown on AU (or how my list is ordered). Not a big problem but it may make the very, very large banner pages diffcult to pick out what should go or not, as my list won't match what I'm seeing.

So while it isn't going to affect anything really at the moment, we need to keep in mind for the future that the coding currently on the banners pages, are different to how they are viewed (kinda like the galleries).

So yeah.... basicallly I'm honking the horn and flashing the light that I will be starting on the banner pages this weekend. And then progress to other graphicy things. :-)

Feel free people to honk your horn as well. ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Coding Talk
PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 7:05 am 
Elf
Elf

Can I check the links on, say, the Humor page? And also, I know that whenever you click on a subsection of the gallery (pics of Frodo, for example), the Back to Gallery link is broken. And, can I also help you with the banners? :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 11:02 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well I believe that the links for the site have all been checked now so I'm not sure there is anything you could do there. And yes, you're right the gallery links need fixing.

As for the banners, at the moment I'm not sure if we need any more coders, but we may well need more help over the next week or so, depending on how well things go or not. Do you have any coding experience? :-)

Just a quick update - I started removing coding from the Aragorn page, but for some reason the banner was still appearing (figure that out when it's code had gone). So as Arwen isn't around at the moment to tell me whether she wants them or not, I have taken the liberty of actually deleting the banners I'm removing from the system completely (which will mean we don't have old unused banners cluttering things now) but I'm also saving them to my computer in case Arwen has no other copies. :-)

EDIT: I've finished that page, and I hope you can see how nice it is to have Arwen's best banners all on their own now. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 1:43 pm 
Elf
Elf

Yes, I do have coding experience, if by you mean HTML and CSS. :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 11:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

That's great! I'll let you in a few days when I have an idea of where I'm at, as I think I will need some more hands very shortly. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 6:14 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

*Pops head in* Erm... I believe, JFish, weren't we talking about how to set up the art featuring? I'm still up to doing five biweekly. So if you just want to set it up however is most conveinient for you and the other coders... and then just let me know when it's ready so I can start sending the art your way!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 8:00 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ok, well I would like to know what the other codes think of the best way for doing the featured art, so that should hopefully get done as soon as possible.

However, with the actual art page, that could start going ahead now. I've just had a quick look at some art and you're right; some of it is worth keeping. Do you maybe have a list you can give me of the vert best pieces we should keep (I will add names to the artwork of the artist as I think we need to move away from adding the artists names underneath their work)? Then I can remove the ones we don't want, and if you have any pieces ready with permission for the artists or whatever, I can add them to the fanart page.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 9:01 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I'll go through the artwork right now, since I just happen to have the time to do that. And I'll pm the 'keeping' list to you(giving name of artwork and artist name in order as viewed) as soon as I've finished it.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 10:35 am 

I know we've said to make backups of all the stuff, just in case sort of thing. But do I really need to keep backups of the old screencapture thumbs? I don't think it's necessary - the pages are working fine.

(This, by the way, means I've put in the new spiffy images for the first few chapters of the screen capture galleries. ;) )

I've also updated the faq's, and I'm just generally working around bits and pieces of the site.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 10:45 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

That's great Nurr, that gallery looks fantastic!

I don 't suppose you need to make back-ups for those - I'm not sure how to do back-ups anyway, so I guess if I need to back-up someone will have to tell me what to do. :P

If you could just make sure you maybe post what you're fixing/tweaking so I or someone else does go around and fiddle with anything you're working on, that might be good. :teehee:

Also I think we need to make a decision about whether we need all the text that accompanies a lot of page, explaining what each section is. Maybe some need them and maybe some don't, but that's something we could look at editing at some point. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 2:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Just a quick update - I started removing coding from the Aragorn page, but for some reason the banner was still appearing (figure that out when it's code had gone). So as Arwen isn't around at the moment to tell me whether she wants them or not, I have taken the liberty of actually deleting the banners I'm removing from the system completely (which will mean we don't have old unused banners cluttering things now) but I'm also saving them to my computer in case Arwen has no other copies. :-)

EDIT: I've finished that page, and I hope you can see how nice it is to have Arwen's best banners all on their own now. :-)

Looks nice, JF! I do have copies of all my graphics saved to my own hard drive, so feel free to delete stuff. As you've probably discovered, the script for the banner pages looks in a specified directory for images to show, so you need to delete or move any banners that you don't want to show up. But I sense you've figured that out by now :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 10:51 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I have thank you Arwen. :-) And I'm really pleased I don't have to save stuff as it was taking a lot of time doing that.

UPDATES:

I've finished deleting all the avatars that I don't think we need. I have also deleted - "Feel free to use these avatars, but please save them onto your own server and do not claim them for your own. All avatars made by Arwen." - which was on every avatar page. I have added it to the avatar home page as I think that looks neater and also makes more sense not to repeat. I also removed the "(non-moving)" part of the static LOTR avatar page and also the avatar main page as it's been annoying me for a while now. I guess everyone knows what static means. :P

There is just one job I can see that needs doing on the avatar section, so I'm posting it here in case anyone else would like to take it up while I move onto something else.

All the avatar pages should have a link (like the banner pages do) that says "back to avatar index". I know coding wise, how the banners link works (having added some myself) but I'm not sure about this one, and I don't feel too confident yet with AU to have a poke around. If someone could do this I'd be grateful. :-)

EDIT: I've just consulted my notes, and we also need "back to cast index" links on the cast banner pages, and also "back to non-LotR index" links on the non-LotR banners pages.

What is the best way to make thumbnails? I'll be needing to know so I can make new (and bigger ones) for the fanart and I think it was mentioned a while ago about a programme or something?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 12:51 am 

^I put in all the links.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 2:07 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Awesome. :D Now it will be easier when people view those pages.

Just one tiny thing [neat freak alert] the back to links on the avatars page are central, whereas for everything else on the site, they're on the left, would it be possible to move it to make it match the others? :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 1:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Johnny's Fan wrote:
What is the best way to make thumbnails? I'll be needing to know so I can make new (and bigger ones) for the fanart and I think it was mentioned a while ago about a programme or something?

Thumbnails? I'd recommend http://www.irfanview.com/ . It's free and the batch-processing feature allows you to crop or resize a ton of images automatically according to the preferences you specify. Or if you have Photoshop / later versions of PSP, there should be ways to specify a set of actions you can run to create thumbnails.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 8:06 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ Thanks for that Arwen. I have downloaded it, and I can see how useful it will be. I'm having trouble sorting out the ratio for getting the full image (or at least a good part of it) as the thumbnail, but I guess I will get the correct settings at some point. :P

EDIT: I do have a question regarding the coding, if someone can answer this for me please (I know we're not going to be doing any major re-coding but this might save me time and make behind trhe scenes, look neater). There are a few areas of the coding such as the fanart page, that are spread over many pages (and yet others like the non-LOTR banners are actually displayed as multiple pages on the site and yet coded onto one huge HTML page) and I was wondering if there was a reason for that, and can I not have all the codes on one page and let it sort iteself out into pages (like the non-LOTR banner page)? Because it would look neater from behind the scenes and make my job easier if I'm only dealing with one page. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next