Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESRR: Minas Tirith to Pelennor Fields
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

This week we start The Return of the King, which is my personal favourite. (I know, I know, how unique. But hey. It really is.)

Aim to finish Chapter V by Sunday or Monday, which will take us right through the Ride of the Rohirrim.

One question:

It says that 'the joy of battle' was on the Rohirrim; do you think that characteristic is unique to the Rohirrim? Do you think any of the other races (the Elves, Hobbits, Dwarves, or the Gondorians or the Haradrim, etc) have that experience? To what extent?

Post subject: Re: ESRR: Minas Tirith to Pelennor Fields
PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 2:59 am 
Istari
Istari

I had feeling that Rohirrims were very special about battles. They lived by sword more than Gondorians and had wild in the blood. They were more connected with nature and more fierce. So its very possible that the mentioned "joy of battle" is their characteristic.

I must say, I LOVED Battle on Pelennor Fields. It was so epic and Eowyn made such wonderful appereance, and Merry became real hero...it was too much for me to handle at one time (but I read it at one time, none the less).

PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 7:56 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yup, I think I agree. The Rohirrim seem a little fiercer than the Gondorians, or at least they show their fierceness in different ways. I think Aragorn's description in The Two Towers, especially compared to Faramir's speech later in the novel, really highlights the differences between them.

Quote:
"I have been among them," answered Aragorn. "They are proud and willful, but they are true-hearted, generous in thought and deed; bold but not cruel; wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of the children of Men before the Dark Years...they have long been the friends of the people of Gondor, though they are not aking to them...their kinship is rather with the Bardings of Dale, and with the Beornings of the Wood..."

Quote:
"For myself," said Faramir, "I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a ueen among other queens...I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom."

I know Faramir is speaking of his own personal thoughts and temperament, but I think you can apply those ideas to the Gondorian culture as well.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 4:12 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Minuialwen wrote:
The Rohirrim seem a little fiercer than the Gondorians, or at least they show their fierceness in different ways. I think Aragorn's description in The Two Towers, especially compared to Faramir's speech later in the novel, really highlights the differences between them.

Quote:
"I have been among them," answered Aragorn. "They are proud and willful, but they are true-hearted, generous in thought and deed; bold but not cruel; wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of the children of Men before the Dark Years...they have long been the friends of the people of Gondor, though they are not aking to them...their kinship is rather with the Bardings of Dale, and with the Beornings of the Wood..."

Quote:
"For myself," said Faramir, "I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a Queen among other queens...I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom."

I know Faramir is speaking of his own personal thoughts and temperament, but I think you can apply those ideas to the Gondorian culture as well.

These two passages really do show the deep differences between these two houses of men. I have to wonder how much the mingling of bloodlines with the Northmen affected the Gondorians, for Boromir for instance always hit me like he had the 'joy of battle' in his blood as opposed to his younger brother Faramir. And the brash King Eärnur, the last king of Gondor, surely was not one to back away from a challenge no matter how foolish.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW