Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Children of Hurin
PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 6:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

I just finished reading The Children of Hurin. I thought it was well-told. the characters, especially Turin, were endearing, though you have the whole terrible sense of foreboding and doom because of the curse upon Hurin's children. It was so sad! personally, I might like to see a movie out of it, though I doubt that would ever happen because of the ending.
my heart pretty much went out to Turin, despite the fact he was cursed. it was so sad seeing him try to forge his way through life and do good things, but everything happened the wrong way.
has anyone else read this book, and if so, what do you think about it?

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

Post subject: Re: The Children of Hurin
PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 7:51 pm 

I tried reading it a few years ago and I just couldn't get into it. I think the language was slightly too complex for me at the time. I'm planning on doing a re-read once I'm done re-reading LotR (and maybe the Silmarillion too) -- it's nice to see you open a thread on it, I don't think it's gotten nearly enough attention (or else I would've probably re-read it already :P).

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 8:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

you should definitely read it. basically, it just expands on the chapter about Turin Turambar in "The Silmarillion", and it's a beautiful, if not sad, story. I'd never even heard of the book, but the library just got it, which I was glad for!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 12:47 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Turin went through so much grief before he commited suicide...

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 1:10 am 
Istari
Istari

I know. *cries* and none of it was on his own account. there wasn't anything he could do to get away from his cursed fate, try as he might.
I wish there was more about Nienor in the book. she seemed to me to come and go, before finally mistakenly marrying her brother, then watching him go off to kill the terrible dragon Glaurung, then to end her fears and despair by beseeching the waters to take her life. all this, of course, corroborates with her cursed fate as well, but I feel like she wasn't, hm, as involved as she might have been.

one confusing thing for me was the fact that Turin and his sword changed named several times. I could barely keep up with that.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 11:21 pm 
Istari
Istari

that's good food for thought. I see the differences now, but hadn't connected them before.

I have to agree about Turin's pride being his downfall many times. I think, in some cases, he may have been trying to show valor, but it was twisted into pride by his actions and possibly in part by the curse. each is entitled to some amount of pride for some accomplishment or the like, but Turin took it too far and it became a nuisance, if you will, to those who only wanted to help him.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 2:16 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Alanna wrote:
I know. *cries* and none of it was on his own account. there wasn't anything he could do to get away from his cursed fate, try as he might.
I wish there was more about Nienor in the book. she seemed to me to come and go, before finally mistakenly marrying her brother, then watching him go off to kill the terrible dragon Glaurung, then to end her fears and despair by beseeching the waters to take her life. all this, of course, corroborates with her cursed fate as well, but I feel like she wasn't, hm, as involved as she might have been.

one confusing thing for me was the fact that Turin and his sword changed named several times. I could barely keep up with that.

I agree, it almost seems like the curse laid way haevier on Turin than on Nienor.
For example, the curse caused its first grief way earlier in Turin's life than in Nienors when he left his mother to go to "Tinwelint" ???? Can't remember the Elven kings name at the moment.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 10:06 am 
Istari
Istari

I think it was Thingol, but I'm not positive myself.

I wasn't sure I liked the ending with Hurin being released and finding Morwen. It was all very abrupt and vague, but then again I suppose that's because Tolkien never really finished the book.

for me, one of the saddest parts in the book was when Turn killed Beleg. :'-(

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 11:20 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Yes, that was definantly a very sad part...

Also, when Turin thinks he is banished from Thingols court while he actually isn't.
If he would have stayed, he wouldn't have had to suffer those griefs.
But then again, the curse would have followed him in a different way..

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 5:05 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Manwe Sulimo wrote:
I agree, it almost seems like the curse laid way haevier on Turin than on Nienor.
For example, the curse caused its first grief way earlier in Turin's life than in Nienors when he left his mother to go to "Tinwelint" ???? Can't remember the Elven kings name at the moment.

The king's name was in fact Thingol, who married the Maia Melian and dwelt in Doriath, within Melian's Girdle (I believe thats what its called but I'm not 100% sure without consulting a book). Thingol agreed to take Turin in because of the valor of ancestors (once again, I can't be 100% sure, but I believe it was Hurin that formed a ring with his men around Thingol in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, which allowed Thingol to escape. Because of this Hurin's house had the favor of the King).

Also, if it makes you feel any better, Tolkien wrote that Turin will one day have his revenge on Morgoth.

Slight spoiler, but won't really ruin any stories.

In one of the books in the History of Middle-earth series (Want to say the Lays of Beleriand, the third book) Tolkien rights that in the end, it is by Turin's black blade that Morgoth is dealt his death blow. Tolkien really paints a nice picture about the end of Arda before the re-singing of the Music of the Ainur with the addition of Elves and Men.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 12:53 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Yes it is in the third book of the history of Middle Earth, the Lays of Beleriand.
I just finished reading it.
I think it is called Melian's Girdle.
Thingol did not go to the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. I think it was just because Thingol viewed Hurin as a worthy and faithful Man (Hurin the "Steadfast")
Yes I read that too, that Morgoth will be slain by Turin and his blacksword along with Manwe's son who wished to revenge his maiden of the sun (dont know her name)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 12:55 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Manwe Sulimo wrote:
Thingol did not go to the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. I think it was just because Thingol viewed Hurin as a worthy and faithful Man (Hurin the "Steadfast")

Ok, I wasn't sure exactly who it as, just that at some point, a leader of the house of Men allowed for an Elven king to escape. Thanks for correcting that.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:05 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

That was Barahir father of Beren the One-Handed who allowed Felagund to escape at the Battle of Sudden Flame?? Not completly sure which battle that was.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:09 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

May be that, I am unfortunately pretty bad remember names and stuff, just that things happened lol.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:11 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Ya me too.
It is just because I just finished reading that.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 4:50 am 

Quote:
"The field was lost; but still Húrin and Huor and the remnant of the House of Hador stood firm with Turgon of Gondolin; and the hosts of Morgoth could not yet win the passes of Sirion. Then Húrin spoke to Turgon, saying: 'Go now, lord, while time is! For you are the last of the House of Fingolfin, and in you lives the last hope of the Eldar. While Gondolin stands Morgoth shall still know fear in his heart.'" ~The Battle of Unnumbered Tears, The Children of Húrin

And then Turgon was like 'Dude, you're right" and he fled withdrew to Gondolin... and lived happily ever after... No wait.. that's not right either! :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara