Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Depressing thing that I don't Know if i should even brin
PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 10:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think the creators really, truly took the time to put these movies together and make them look the best they possibly could. Todays movies it seems like they try to slap a bunch of scenes together with some graphics and push it out in theaters. I mean, look whats happened since 3D films like Avatar came out, ever since that movie it seems like every film has to be done in 3D now, and most of them dont even look good because they are rushing through the 3D process. so yes, I agree with you that LotR looks better than most of the movies released now.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 7:07 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I have never had a problem with any of the special effects. I'm (unfortunately!) not one of those really observant people who can pick up everything they see, so maybe I'm just not looking closely enough, but I have seen a lot of movies with fantastic special effects and not found FotR wanting.

We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days...

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 12:56 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

i don't think they're bad but you're right you can tell it's CGI but then again you can't find real giant attacking octopuses can you???

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:17 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Honestly, no matter how great a movie is, or how well it was done, one day it will be outdated. It's the story that counts.

Lotr came out almost ten years ago. If you look at movies that were made in the 90's compared to movies in the early 2000's you will see a HUGE difference. It was because at that time technology was taking big steps. If you look at movies from early 2000's to now, you won't see that much difference. Technology isn't growing as fast as it was (at least for now). So LOTR really isn't that outdated in my opinion. It still looks great.

You also have to remember that it is a fantasy world. It is much harder to make things that aren't real believable to an audience, than it is to replicate things that are real (to an extent). That's why the CG has to be soo good and I think LOTR did a fantastic job on that.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

To be honest, I don't care. One of my favourite movies come from '40, even if they didn't have special effects at all.

The movie should have great plot and characters, the rest doesn't count.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 12:38 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A great deal of people today are sort of visually spoiled with graphics in films and video game and the like. If you sit there and try to find and pick out problems with it, sorry to say, you are going to find them. You're gonna find books of them, sadly you're also gonna have books filled with things you can't enjoy because there are "problems" with it.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic because those movies were such an enormous part of my childhood and my favourite memores I don't want to find a single flaw in it. That's just my opinion.

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 9:16 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I know I might be breathing more life into a quiet thread here but I thought I should throw my two cents in with something I noticed recently re-watching FotR.

I got a new, awesome 23' inch monitor recently, and it's cinematic christening was the LotR DVDs (not blu-ray just yet.)

And yeah, a lot of the special effects are starting to get 'flat-ish.' They're doing a lot better than other films of that year though. In certain select scenes, like very tight close ups, I can even see left over blue tones from blue screen shooting. Gollum's eye rims are getting a little flat against the eye ball too, but when you look INTO those eyes rather than AT them, you can totally feel a character. Even though his hair interaction and the way his hands and feet connect to real-life elements are getting a little blurry, the insane attention to detail, particularly in the shot where Frodo takes the rope off from around his neck in TTT, totally blow me away. I mean, you can see little translucent hairs all over Gollum's shoulder. Even today that particular effect would be hard to pull off.

As each day goes by the effects will slowly get more and more out of date, but these films will go down in history as great pioneers, not just in technical terms but also in dramatic terms. It still boggles my mind that PJ managed to balance action fantasy and lots of special effects with classic drama & heart.

The effects are going to be blown out of the water by The Hobbit, but these movies will, and are, maturing and aging very very well. I think while The Hobbit's effects are going to evoke an oil-painting in terms of quality, as the years go by all three LotR films begin to look more and more like the classic, dream-like tones of Alan Lee's watercolours at Rivendell.

~Old lurker from '06 crawling back for another adventure.~

You may call me Cazz. :-D

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 1:47 am 
Istari
Istari

^ I very much agree with you, the films effects aren't gettin old, they are aging well! They will become classics, and yes, they have been and will always be pioneers in special effects. And with the way special effects are now I have a feeling that The Hobbit is going to be amazing! Although I hope they dont overdo it, to much of the effects make the movie seem fake (odd way to describe a fantasy movie but y'all know what I mean). The trick is to not lose the characters and the heart of the story among flashy scenery and computerized graphics.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2011, 11:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Lithôniel wrote:
And with the way special effects are now I have a feeling that The Hobbit is going to be amazing!

I do hope they don't have too many special effects gags. I mean, like those movies that have a scene that yells out and goes 'YEEEHAAW LOOK AT THIS! NO WAY WE COULD HAVE DONE THAT FOR REAL!!!!1!" Because then when we end up watching The Hobbit and LotR in one sitting, (with a case of Red Bull...) the age gap will be sooo obvious.

Like when you watch Star Wars. "Well, not like THAT wasn't a 20 year difference..."

~Old lurker from '06 crawling back for another adventure.~

You may call me Cazz. :-D

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 12:52 am 
Istari
Istari

I've never seen Star Wars, but I get your point. I agree, hopefully they dont make it to flashy where Hobbit winds up dating LotR!!

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 12:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

^^ YOU HAVEN'T SEEN STAR WARS?! Go watch it at once and drool over Harrison Ford. This is an order, Scar.

And am I the only one who thinks the movies get better with each viewing? Especially when I saw them over the summer when they did the re-release in theatres, with the Blu-Ray remastering. And watching them on my laptop I see details I never saw on our failtacular televisions in the house. *shrug* Maybe I just don't notice special effects that much, unless they're either really over-the-top or really poorly done? (Then again...I'm the girl who watches Wizard of Oz and is still a bit impressed by the Witch flying around and melting and stuff. XD)

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 1:32 am 
Istari
Istari

Nope, havent seen Star Wars, just not into space type movies or shows (unless its Firefly with Nathan Fillion). I tried watchin it, but even with Harrison Ford it couldnt keep my interest. I'm strange, I know, lol.

And LotR always gets better with every viewing. (in my mind the only way it could be bad is if there was no Aragorn, :lol: ) I havent seen the BluRay version of LotR, does it look nice and cleaned up? supposedly all BluRays do. I've never really focused on the effects until I saw this thread, then I started paying a little more attention to them, and I still think they look pretty darn good. There's flaws here and there but you dont really notice them unless you're lookin for them.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 1:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

XD You're fine. I just grew up with Star Wars, that's all. I was Princess Leia for Halloween when I was four. Wig and all. Yes, I was that child. ;)

Well, seeing it on the big screen was indescribable. Especially remastered, it just felt so real and so right. I noticed things that I hadn't noticed before in normal TV viewings--even lines that were indistinct on my TV before! There were little lines, mumbled ones, that I didn't know existed until I saw FotR and TTT in theatres this past summer (I had to work the night they were showing RotK).

I haven't seen them on Blu-Ray, but my laptop has a Blu-Ray player, and they enhance normal DVDs too (somehow). So the picture is clearer and brighter and sharper than it is on, say, my normal DVD player that's hooked to the TV. Granted, that thing is probably 8 years old and rarely likes to work and my laptop I got in August, but still. Major differences.

I agree, you have to really look for them to spot them. Things in the EE like Elijah and Sean accidentally switching places for a second you don't notice unless you're watching the screen instead of the story. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 1:47 am 
Istari
Istari

I couldn't be 'that child' because I grew up with The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, Clint Eastwood, and John Wayne. (I added Holmes when I started school, daddy handled the rest, lol) So I couldnt exactly go out dressed like any of those guys. :lol:

Yep, or Eomer's creepy face in TTT when the small group ride to the top of a hill to look out over the plains, caught that one, took me a few years...

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 1:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Aww, come on, I would have given extra candy to a kid dressed up in an old-timey suit a la the Stooges! XD

Hmmm, I don't know if I've seen the Eomer-face you're referencing...might be time to drag out the DVDs again!

I wonder if some of the technology they might keep the same, though, just because it works. I can't wait to see how/if Gollum changes at all, because although the tech has improved, we still want the same old Gollum, don't we? I hope they keep all the forced-perspective techniques for the Hobbits the same, those worked really well, in my mind.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 2:06 am 
Istari
Istari

Ha! Only problem would have been which Stooges hairstyle would I have to copy? I did get to be a hobo one year, I pitched a fit until I got that costume. I did dress as a knight one year, and Ma was like 'a knight is a male costume', after a moments thought I replied 'oh yeah, tell that to Joan of Arc!'. got my costume then too.

I really hope we see the same Gollum! If there are any changes let them be slight! And the work with the hobbits, that was awesome! I hope they use the same old techniques, after all, if it aint broke dont fix it!