PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 10:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2008, 1:29 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I think the best study on Eldorian is done by The Encyclopedia of Arda. I do question the claim made there that Eldorian was also lord of the elf lands with the post war history of the twin sons of Elrond being so vague.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 10:43 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ivreniel wrote:
He does become king, and rather important. As it is was during his reign that the book Pippin's grandson or great-grandson (?) compiled from the Adventurous Hobbits stories and books in the Red Book of Westernmarch was transcribed in Gondor, added to it was a story written by Faramir's grandson Barahir aka the tale of Aragorn and Arwen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thain%27s_Book

Good link (Y)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 4:03 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hanasían wrote:
I think the best study on Eldorian is done by The Encyclopedia of Arda. I do question the claim made there that Eldorian was also lord of the elf lands with the post war history of the twin sons of Elrond being so vague.

The claim is from this quote in The Peoples of Middle-Earth:

Quote:
The third age ended with the departure of Elrond in 3022, and the descendants of Elessar through Arwen became also heirs of the elf-realms of the West.

I think the idea is that Arwen and her brothers (while they stayed in Middle-Earth) were the sole descendants of Finwe, who ruled the Noldor, and Thingol, ruler of the Sindar.

I wouldn't say it's set in stone, though. Tolkien didn't have everything perfectly worked out and finished, and I believe he's contradicted himself before (in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, maybe?) Also, how much that title would have meant in a time when many of the elves were leaving for the West is debatable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 12:07 pm 

Quote:
Also, how much that title would have meant in a time when many of the elves were leaving for the West is debatable.

True, by that point being lord of the elf lands could just as easily become "lord of empty lands". Did all of the elves pass over to Valinor, though? I know there were elves that chose not to go the first time, so could they have again chosen to stay?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:01 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It's possible I suppose. Perhaps further east. But usually I think of the fact they're leaving middle earth for men. So I usually assume they've all gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 2:21 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
Quote:
Also, how much that title would have meant in a time when many of the elves were leaving for the West is debatable.

True, by that point being lord of the elf lands could just as easily become "lord of empty lands". Did all of the elves pass over to Valinor, though? I know there were elves that chose not to go the first time, so could they have again chosen to stay?[/quote

Off the top of my head, I know that in Mirkwood most of the elves remained, and lived on relatively untroubled; for how long I'm not sure, but it seems they didn't have the Sea-longing or the world-weariness of some of the other elves. Since Thranduil remained as well I doubt Arwen or Arwen's children had much authority there...

Lorien was still sparsely populated when Arwen returned to die; a few of the elves just couldn't leave.

"In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled, but in Lorien there lingered sadly only a remnant of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadhon."

And in Rivendell Elladan and Elrohir remained for a while, and Celeborn joined them there eventually; I think he found Lorien too depressing with Galadriel gone.

I think maybe you're right, Nurr; maybe it just means they were lord of empty lands. :confused: I suppose if the elves in Lorien and Rivendell did eventually all leave, they'd add it to the realm of Gondor...??

Post subject: Re: Aragorn's son
PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 8:36 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Traditional monarchy the eldest male child will inherit the throne. For example, take as long as the Tudors. Edward is the only male, so he first succeeded to the throne. If he had had a brother, brother Edward inherited the throne will be....

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 12:45 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It seems that Eldarion was the firstborn, everything kinda implies that. Though it is possible that they had a daughter first. But, like everyone else has said, the rule always went to the firstborn son if he was still alive. Of course he becomes King it does say so in the book.

I do wish we knew how many daughters and what their names were. It would be interesting to know. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 3:00 pm 

Nurr and Minuial, I agree that most of the Elven cities would be empty after the Last ship passed over the sea, however, I suppose the moriquendi would still remain. Also, I still can't believe that Celeborn didn't go with with Galadriel. As for Elladan and Elrohir they were given the same choice as Elrond... and Arwen whether to become mortal or to leave for the Undying Lands. I wonder whether they could choose immortality and still stay in Middle-earth. Not that it might have been any fun if they did, knowing that Arwen would eventually die and she would be the last of their family.. Except for the children of Aragorn and Arwen.. actually, it would be really cool.. if the Telcontar house would have Elladan and Elrohir as funny uncles forever.. and a little spooky!! :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: April 6th, 2012, 12:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

The Moriquendi might remain for quite some time after the last of the High Elves have passed over the sea, but I do not think that they would remain for very much longer, relatively speaking. I doubt that more than a few hundred years would pass before the last redoubts of the Elves were depopulated, and only individual Elves or small communities remained in a world which would by then be almost exclusively human.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 5:22 am 
Elf
Elf

I heard that in the movies Viggo's son Henry actually acted a little role in it. He was a young soldier. But I'm not sure so don't judge me.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 4:40 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

There were female rulers of Numenor, and the law was changed so that the oldest child, regardless of gender, became the ruler.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 12:32 am 
Elf
Elf

Eä wrote:
Well, actually in some monarchies the heir to the throne is the firstborn son, regardless of any older daughters, only if no sons are born - or if they died - and if there are no other immediate male family members, the girl may be acknowledged the ruler.

Or the parents choose the cousin to be king if they don't want the eldest daughter to be ruler. (I think.)