Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unfinished Tales
PostPosted: March 5th, 2006, 4:49 pm 
Ent
Ent

I myself am in the middle of reading it. Has anyone else read it or is reading it? I'd be very interested in discussing it with you wonderful people(don't you just love the way I talk? :-D )

I'm in the middle of The Mariner's Wife, and I have to say, it's very different. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2006, 1:41 am 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

i've read it, it's pretty good. i'm now currently reading The Silmarillion

He saw there mirrored bright and fair

♥In a poly relationship with Kili and Tauriel♥

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2006, 6:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

The Silmarillion is really good. I've read it. My favourite is the tale of Elwing and Earendil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2006, 1:04 am 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

i don't think i've gotten that far yet. i've only just started reading it

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2006, 4:51 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I've started reading it and I luv it though I think it's pretty difficult to read... I haven't read it from the beginning I've just read some stories whose titles sounded good... *grins*

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2006, 5:11 pm 
Ent
Ent

I've read all the way up to The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, which I am now currently reading.

Has anyone else read it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2006, 2:18 am 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

Fíriel_18190 wrote:
I've started reading it and I luv it though I think it's pretty difficult to read... I haven't read it from the beginning I've just read some stories whose titles sounded good... *grins*

ah yeah i found it alittle difficult myself but read the whole thing though i know that i couldn't really pronounce alot of the words but i tried anyway

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2006, 12:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

I've read the whole thing, and I love it. The Disaster of the Gladden Fields rocks, especially since it shows Isildur in a new light, as someone comparable to Aragorn in terms of strength and power, etc, because he realizes his mistake, etc., and does what he can to change it, however late it was. That's just an awesome tale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2006, 1:27 pm 
Ent
Ent

That should be good, then, Aerandir.

I've been reading The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, and it's got me thinking about something: It mentions that Galadriel was forbidden to return to Valinor because she left without leave being given. Once she received Nenya, her longing to return to Valinor grew year after year. Galadriel was allowed to return after passing the "final test", in which she refused the One Ring when it was offered to her by Frodo. In movie context, in The Fellowship of the Ring, she is offered the One Ring by Frodo in Lorien. When she says that she passed the test, does she mean the "final test"? Was that the test she had to pass to be allowed to return to Valinor? If so, then in the movies, Galadriel was not allowed back to Valinor until the scene in Lorien when Frodo offers her the One Ring, and she refuses it.

Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2006, 11:19 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

The "Unfinished Tales" is amazing but very difficult to read. I read it at the same time I read the Silmarillion. So I read the beginning of one story in the Silmarillion and the end of the same story in the Unfinished Tales. I recommend people do that, it makes a lot easier to read and easier to understand.

Elwing_Star_Spray, I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I guess you're right, the final test of Galadriel was to accept (or not) the Ring.
Galadriel's story is so complex... :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2006, 4:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I just finished reading Narn i hin Hurin... that had to be the saddest love story i ever read *sniffles*

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2006, 2:22 pm 
Ent
Ent

Luky wrote:
The "Unfinished Tales" is amazing but very difficult to read. I read it at the same time I read the Silmarillion. So I read the beginning of one story in the Silmarillion and the end of the same story in the Unfinished Tales. I recommend people do that, it makes a lot easier to read and easier to understand.

Elwing_Star_Spray, I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I guess you're right, the final test of Galadriel was to accept (or not) the Ring.
Galadriel's story is so complex... :)

Ya, it was kind of hard to understand. Sorry bout that. What I'm trying to say is, in the movie, Galadriel wasn't allowed back to Valinor until she refused the Ring from Frodo. So up until that part in the movie, Galadriel wasn't allowed back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2006, 4:25 am 
Vala
Vala

Not really. She could have gone back, I guess, but I think she felt she still needed to redeem herself, since she rebelled against the Valar, so I'd say she didn't allow herself to go back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2006, 1:48 pm 
Ent
Ent

At one point, Galadriel was allowed back, but she didn't return to Valinor.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 4:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

According to The Road Goes Ever On, Galadriel was banned from returning Over Sea for her role in the Rebellion of the Noldor.

'... refer to the special position of Galadriel. She was the last survivor of the princes and queens who had led the revolting Noldor to exile in Middle-earth. After the overthrow of Morgoth at the end of the First Age a ban was set upon her return, and she had replied proudly that she had no wish to do so. She passed over the Mountains of Eredluin with her husband Celeborn (one of the Sindar) and went to Eregion.' JRRT, RGEO

And yes the rejection of the One was instrumental. The above citation continues...

'(...) and went to Eregion. But it was impossible for one of the High-Elves to overcome the yearning for the Sea, and the longing to pass over it again to the land of their former bliss. She was now burdened with this desire. In the event, after the fall of Sauron, in reward for all that she had done to oppose him, but above all for her rejection of the Ring when it came within her power, the ban was lifted, and she returned over the Sea, as is told at the end of The Lord of the Rings.'

Tolkien wrote a lot about Galadriel that he himself never published, for one reason or another. JRRT himself published this much however :-D

Post subject: Re: Unfinished Tales
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I've read Unfinished Tales, and I found it kind of annoying how Christopher Tolkien was always pointing out little mistakes. He did a great job considering the fragmented form of what he was editing, I just wish it didn't have to be that way. Altogether, though, I enjoyed it. I was curious about the Istari and the Palantirs, and it had sections on both those subjects.