Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: - The Official RPG Help & Advice thread -
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 11:33 am 
Istari
Istari

I remember when I was here on AU years ago, and there were so many RPs around you could barely keep up with all of them :P I also remember starting a Harry Potter RP and having like 30 people joining after only a few days. That was incredible! :) Anyway, I miss RP a lot, and I am keeping an eye on these threads, I hope to join something soon :)

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 10:42 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

how can i join an rp?

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 10:44 am 
Istari
Istari

Create your character and start writing! :) Usually RPGs are open, you may check which ones.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 11:00 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

oh that's good! cause the last time i played in another forum site we needed to register and after the deadline no more characters are allowed to join! thank you!

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 6:37 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Hello, everyone! I'm not sure if anyone's here to answer me, but I'm going to run my mouth anyway. I've never actually participated in an RPG before, but I love to write, and it looks really fun. I've created a few characters, but now I'm sort of at a loss. Are there threads specifically for improving your RP skills? I saw Harthad's RPG Inn in the non-LotR section, but it looked somewhat dead :-( . Should I just post and see what happens?

On another note, what sort of characters are acceptable here? Flawed, obviously, but are there any other standards (how canon-accurate, do they have to be partial self-inserts, ect)?

Thanks ahead of time!

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 6:42 pm 
Elf
Elf

Hi Inkslayer! Well, I for one would really appreciate it if you did post in my thread, at least to get it back on it's feet again. There was also the Roleplaying Class 101 which was set up by Amara, but it's also sort of died. Besides those, I'm sure that one of the more seasoned Rpers would be glad to help you out with anything you need to know. :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 7:04 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I'll give it a shot! Thanks! :)

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 3:22 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Will wrote:
Did you always want to try and join a RPG? Never came to it or felt intimidated by experienced RPGers? Or do you want to want to improve your writting skills?

Then you're here in the right place!

Welcome to

The official RPG Help & Advice thread

This will be a thread were experienced RPGers and other people, who've been wanting to give RPing a try, can come together and talk, help and advice each other on writing skills, character creation and development, and RPG plots! Hopefully this will help everyone improving on RPG skills, and make the RPG board a more lively section than it was. :)

So, feel free come here and ask questions, make suggestions for the RPG board, or discuss various topics concerning RPGs. :)

How to improve your RPG skills?
Well first, I think you just need to go and choose a good RPG which interests you and for which you've created your character. My experience is that you should start with one character, so that you're able to concentrate on this character and develop his/her personality. Writing a bio can be very helpful for developing your character. By writing out the looks, personality and history of your character you'll see that your character will start to grow on you..

Posts - However hard it might seem at first, posts of a few paragraphs do improve the quality of your RPG. By making longer and descriptive posts, you do not only develop your character but also expand the world you created. Make sure that you use right spelling, and the use of synonyms can really boost the quality of your post.

Mary Sueing - the fear of every RPGer :teehee: . According to wiki Mary Sue:
Quote:
(sometimes just Sue), in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet".

How to avoid creating a Mary Sue character? My personal experience is that you should try to take the point of view of your character and wonder whether you could have done the same thing like your character. Often (except in a super hero world :P) your character is just a person of flesh and blood as well. Would you be able to survive a fatal gunshot? Jump off a tower without getting hurt? Almost die accidentally thrice in a row? Not really. So probably your character wouldn't be able to do it as well.
Let your character have flaws! Nothing is better than a flawed character, who's selfish, quickly angered, or a coward.

What makes a good RPG and which RPGs would you like to see on AU?

This has been a frequent discussed topic in the past, but I think it's interesting to bring it up again. :)
I think that a good RPG should consist of many elements. An interesting, creative plot in which writers are able to improvise and which isn't planned out until the end.Writers should be dedicated to the RPG to make things work. Also the chemistry between the writers is a very important thing. You should read posts of one another, make posts with content and detail and have your characters interact with eachother. Too much romance, and especially planned romances can kill a RPG, so usually it's better not to have romance be the central theme of the RPG.

Well, those are only my personaly experiences and opinions, but I'm very interested in your thoughts. :)

I used to do some chat RPs, but this looks a lot more in depth! I will read and watch and if time allows me, try my hand at writing RP.
Thanks for this help thread!

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 4:20 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Deumeawyn wrote:

I used to do some chat RPs, but this looks a lot more in depth! I will read and watch and if time allows me, try my hand at writing RP.

Hello Deumeawyn and again, welcome to the site! I see you are settling in quite well and made 'Hobbit' level at 25! It was good to see you post in the "Inn" RP, and I thought you did pretty well! You gave attention to other characters, and I can tell you have a story behind your character and I look forward to your character's development! I hope you find this as enjoyable as I do!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 3:59 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Durían wrote:
Deumeawyn wrote:

Hello Deumeawyn and again, welcome to the site! I see you are settling in quite well and made 'Hobbit' level at 25! It was good to see you post in the "Inn" RP, and I thought you did pretty well! You gave attention to other characters, and I can tell you have a story behind your character and I look forward to your character's development! I hope you find this as enjoyable as I do!

Hi Durian, and thank you! I am working on developing my character in the story, so hope it works out all right. And yes, I am finding this quite enjoyable! I find myself thinking about my character and the story while I'm working! :whistle:

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 9:00 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The "official" instructions do make it seem a little indepth but honestly (depending on the people you RP with) it's much simpler than it sounds.

As you have seen, and done quite well, the RP scene here is pretty free and open. :)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM