Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ShakesphereO
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 8:15 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Ok..this year in English class, my pastor made us read two stories and one poem by William Shakesphere:That Time of the Year, Macbeth, and The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. Both Macbeth and Juilus Caesar were hard to read, and much less understand, but through the discussions our clas would have every now and then, I started understanding more. After reading Julius Caesar, my pastor had us write a 500 word essays on four of the main characters, and how their ambition affected their lives. The characters were, Julius Caesar, Brutus, Cassius, and Mark Antony. The rough draft wasn't as good, but the final draft was pretty good...

My opinions on Macbeth-it scared me slightly, especially when Pastor LaPietra did his voice as Macbeth. ((not a good idea to have a pastor do the voice of a bad guy))...but nonthenless, I enjoyed reading it, and I noticed some silmiaritary between that story and Lord of the Rings.

My opinions on Yhe Tragedy of Julius Caesar-This is truly one of Shakesphere's best writings. I enjoyed reading this book, and I say that the way the story went is very good. The suspense would sometimess scare me...and Pastor would ring a bell, or slam his desk to provide background sound..

If you have read any works by Shakesphere, what was it, and whatn was your opinion on that story?

((my 50th post..:D))

Last edited by Elenanna Lothenedhel on June 11th, 2005, 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 8:21 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Shakespeare's good. I live only a few miles away from Stratford Upon Avon where he was born and it's a lovely place. I've seen several Shakespeare plays such as The Winter's Tale which was slightly modernised and very interesting and I myself have been involved in a full-scale production of The Tempest. It was simply breath-taking and so very beautiful - we had the costume and everything and Prospero's cell looked gorgeous with all these leaves and ivy and stuff. It was an amazing thing to be a part of. The Tempest is called Shakespeare's "Magic Play" but my drama teacher is a cynical person and so we did the play slightly differently - in our version, everything could be explained by hypnosis, thin atmosphere, hallucinagenic drugs, all of that sort of thing.

We also read Much Ado About Nothing at school which was nowhere near as exciting but Beatrice is a very good character and I recommend that people at least see the film - Emma Thompson plays her brilliantly.

I've never personally had much difficulty understanding Shakespeare but that's most likely due to my father having received his MA from The Shakespeare University - which is the best place in the world to study Shakespeare. He's given alot of his knowledge of the plays over to me so I've been familiar with them from an early age.

Meet Bob the Ninja. :karate: Bob needs counselling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 8:44 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Interesting, Calwen..

You're lucky to have the undesrstanding of Shakesphere's writings. I did in a way...but if you asked me to read The Tragedy of Julius Caesar or Macbeth, from beginning to end, nonstop, and to understand it without help, I think it would take me 3 or 4 hours...lol

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 12:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There's all this praise for Shakespeare. I find his works very difficult to comprehend, and they require a lot of patience. But his works are poetic I suppose. Still, I prefer to read things I can understand more (Like LotR) instead of Shakespeare. Not that I have anything personal against him. :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 7:47 am 
Balrog
Balrog

haha...I agree with you Elberethsq..

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 8:23 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I've read Romeo and Juliet and Misdummer Night's Dream (both of which I loved)....it wasn't that hard to understand, but I guess that's because I studied both of them at school

^made by yours truly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 9:18 am 

I did Romeo and Juliet last year in English, which I liked. (We saw the play in the Botanical Gardens at night - my whole year level, which was great fun. It was really good, as well!)

Next term we are doing Macbeth. I'm looking forward to it (and not just because I know my mum studied it, so despite her claiming she can't remember anything, she can help me write my essays... :blink: ) since I've read a lot of books of late by an author who was obsessed with Shakespeare. She quotes it - her main character loves it, Macbeth in particular, and he quotes it - alot.
So I'm about to find out what it's all about...

I wouldn't mind reading other stuff by Shakespeare, but it's the sort of thing best read aloud.

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 10:30 am 

I've done quite a few Shakespeare plays at school and now at university.

I've done MacBeth, Julius Caesar, Hamlet (twice ;)), Much Ado About Nothing and Romeo and Juliet.

Next term we're doing Othello.

Once I've got into the plays and understand what's going on I do quite enjoy them. The launguage is quite hard esspeically if you're reading it but if you're watching it esspecially if you've already studied the play it seems to make more sense.

My favourite one so far was Much Ado about Nothing becuase I liked the comedy in it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 10:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think Shakespeare is awesome!! He wrote some really awesome plays, though some of them aren't really good, like Romeo and Juliet. I hate that play because you want to shout at Juliet to runaway with, not go back to her balcony when she marries Romeo, or better, tell the parents! :explode:

My English class read the story and we had to listen to a taping on it, which I thought was funny, esp. the guys who did Friar 2, he was really spaced out, and Paris, who was pictured as a wuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2005, 11:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, I tried reading The Tempest. I got lost, like, five pages into it. That was because I lost track of who was talking and they were having such a long, confusing discussion - has anyone else read it?

A Midsummer's Night Dream was better, and I saw a school play, which was really good. :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 2:32 am 

Lady Raine of the Rangers wrote:
I think Shakespeare is awesome!! He wrote some really awesome plays, though some of them aren't really good, like Romeo and Juliet. I hate that play because you want to shout at Juliet to runaway with, not go back to her balcony when she marries Romeo, or better, tell the parents!

I think the balcony in Romeo and Juliet is amusing because it reminds me of grade five... we were doing a spelling test, and the teacher's example of whatever the word was in context was "Juliet is on the balcony... 'oh, romeo, romeo, where for art thou romeo' " and romeo's response was "shut up you silly old cow" and we all thought it was hilarious. Amusing memory.

I know my friends and I spent my friend's eleventh birthday discussing Macbeth. That none of us had seen it had nothing to do with it... her parents told us the plot and ... we took several inspired pictures involving a large cake-knife and the dog as a result...

*laughs* sorry - they are my "childhood" memories of shakespeare...

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 4:59 am 

Quote:
I think the balcony in Romeo and Juliet is amusing because it reminds me of grade five... we were doing a spelling test, and the teacher's example of whatever the word was in context was "Juliet is on the balcony... 'oh, romeo, romeo, where for art thou romeo' " and romeo's response was "shut up you silly old cow" and we all thought it was hilarious. Amusing memory.

lol Well that bit reminds me of the lines in the song by Dire Straits Romeo And Juliet

"Juliet says hey it's romeo you nearly gave me a heart attack"

:-D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2005, 10:31 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Lady Raine of the Rangers wrote:
I think Shakespeare is awesome!! He wrote some really awesome plays, though some of them aren't really good, like Romeo and Juliet. I hate that play because you want to shout at Juliet to runaway with, not go back to her balcony when she marries Romeo, or better, tell the parents!

Ditto.

In English we read parts of Romeo and Juliet (didn't get to finish because we started too late in the year). Then we watched a movie of it.

Last year I tried reading Much Ado about Nothing, but just quit partly because I didn't understand and it didn't catch my attention. So I forgot about it, then just checked it back in to the library. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2005, 3:23 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I like Shakespeare. It's true that it is not always easy to understand...but I think there's a lot to analyse and think into and that's what I like.
I read Macbeth and Midsummer nights dream so far....Much ado about nothing I saw the movie but didn't like the plot..... :closedeyes:

I had an exam on Macbeth and I liked getting to know more about it as I prepared. I really think that ye must inform yourself about Shakespeare's work to fully enjoy and understand them ;)

Macbeth is a very brutal story....but it's interesting to see the psychological threads Shakespeare used for his play :)
I really want to read Romeo and Juliet.

My Site - Alba Illuminata

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 6:06 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have loved Shakespeare since I first read his work- and I was pretty young. My favourites are:

-Othello
-Hamlet: Prince of Denmark
-Macbeth
-Romeo and Juliet

I have seen Macbeth performed at The Globe theatre in London, I must say it is a very clever piece of work!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 9:45 am 
Balrog
Balrog

ah interesting..

I've seen the Tragedy of Julius Caesar on VHS, and it was allright..

Profile           YIM