Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avengers, Assemble! (Private RP)
PostPosted: July 21st, 2012, 4:36 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Taking in the solider’s expression Tony quickly matched it, though his came across as more devil-may-care than actual guardedness. “Steve.” He stood there awkwardly for a moment before running a hand along his jaw and pointing in the general direction of the apartment. “Can I...?” he half-asked, brushing past Steve with his usual impertinence as soon as the soldier shifted.

Inside he looked around the sparse apartment with a critical eye. No wonder Steve thought Tony’s place was over the top - the soldier’s own home was sparse to the point of almost bare. A few pieces of furniture and nothing else, no pictures, no homey touches - not that Tony appreciated ‘homey’, but he would have thought that Steve would have decked the place out in total 40s style, or at least acquired some photographs by now. Surely Fury could have found him some. Either way the apartment defiantly didn’t scream ‘home’ and was actually kind of depressing.

Sliding his hands into his pockets Tony spun once to get the full picture before facing the solider again. “Nice place. Could use a little, uh...” he waved a finger around at the bare walls. “Stuff, though.”

just a big man with a suit of armor.

banner by me

Last edited by Henoluin on July 21st, 2012, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 21st, 2012, 6:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

"I have what I need." The statement came off a little more defensive than Steve had meant it to. He was a little embarrassed to have the playboy in his living space, especially because he was pretty sure Tony's bathroom was bigger than his apartment. He cleared his throat and forced himself to relax.

"Have a seat. I'll... ah, get you something to drink." He gestured to the couch. "I'm afraid I don't have that scotch you seem to be so fond of, but I do have water." Tap water. "And some coffee." He added quickly. He decided to hold off on the questions until Tony decided to explain his sudden visit. Plus, going into the tiny kitchen would give him a reason to collect his thoughts again before going back outside.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 21st, 2012, 6:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Water and coffee. Did the man actually live here or...? Tony wiped the thought from his mind and shrugged, pointedly ignoring the probably unintentional jab at his drinking habits. “Water is fine,” he answered, dropping onto the couch in the same lazy way that he would have had they been at the tower. Steve’s defensiveness was starting to rub him the wrong way but he managed to hold himself in check.

While the soldier went to the kitchen Tony looked around again. The place really did need a makeover, but what did he care? If Steve wanted to live in a bare apartment that was smaller than Tony’s bathroom then what difference did it make to Tony? His couch was uncomfortable though. Seriously, the guy couldn’t at least pick furniture that didn’t stab you in the-

Tony sat turned around and stared at the offending hard object that had jabbed him. Pulling it out from behind the cushion he looked up to make sure that Steve wasn’t coming before examining it.

Computer Information Systems: A Guide.

Tony stared at the cover for a whole fifteen seconds, amusement and something else bubbling up in his chest. Soldier boy was trying to learn computer basics from a book? Why the hell...?

“Uh... Steve?” he called before thinking better of it. "Never mind." He slowly flipped through the pages, snorting at half of the instructions and information. It definitely wasn’t the kind of book that a beginner should use, especially one that didn’t actually own a computer, or even a cell phone. Tony had to admit that he was completely lost as to the reason that Steve would even be trying.

With unusual consideration the playboy stuffed the book back behind the cushion before his host returned.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 21st, 2012, 7:22 pm 
Ent
Ent

Steve walked back into the room to find Tony sprawled on his couch. He raised his eyebrow and brandished the glass of the water at him before seating himself in one of the chairs by the table. He cleared his throat and laced his fingers together. The room was uncomfortably silent, except for the faint sound of construction that could be heard from right outside the window. Steve cleared his throat and gestured awkwardly to his apartment.

"It isn't much, I know. I guess I... haven't really gotten to decorating it. The rent is dirt cheap, at least." He shrugged.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“You should,” Tony suggested, looking around again. “Get around to decorating, I mean. I could install some TVs and a computer for you. Cable, blue-ray, surround sound, a phone. Won’t be quite as technical as my place but we could certainly try.” He was kidding, of course, though he would probably be nice enough to help the soldier install the TV or phone if the guy actually asked.

Glancing out the window on the back of the room Tony nodded at it. “At least it’s got a nice view,” he said dryly, pointing out the rather drab sight of the empty lot behind the apartment. “Must be why you picked it.” He hadn’t come to be snide, he really hadn’t, but he couldn’t seem to help it. He wanted to be nice, at least try to be friendly, but sometimes that tiny part of him that was capable of being a normal human being just refused to work.

At least he hadn’t said anything about the book.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 9:52 pm 
Ent
Ent

Steve chose to ignore the first bit, mostly because Tony was steadily edging him into a bad mood, as usual. It was probably kind of his fault though. He hadn't exactly been welcoming to the playboy. But he couldn't help it. He doubted Tony had ever stepped foot in a regular apartment before, let alone a cramped one that was barely furnished. Steve cleared his throat and jerked his head towards the kitchen.

"I have a phone," he said wryly. "And it works just fine."

He stood up abruptly, causing the chair to scrape behind him. He shoved his hands into his pockets and walked towards the window to watch the construction. Tony was right. The view wasn't the best, but it was why he had decided on to live in the building and in this particular room. It was almost like torturing himself and he knew it. But a small part of him just couldn't let it go.

"Peggy..."

"I'm here." There was a certain brokenness in her voice that made him waver for just an instant. He could fly back home. He could see her. There had to be a way. He could... no.

"I'm going to need a rain check on that dance." His gaze fell upon the small, cracked picture on the dashboard. He could hear the tears in her voice. But she was holding them back as best as she could. Even at that moment, he could feel a tug of admiration for her. No one could ever call Peggy Carter a weak lady.

"All right." She whispered. "A week next Saturday, at The Stork Club."

"You've got it."

"Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late. Understood?"

He could feel the raw emotion take hold of him, and it was all he could do to grip the wheel. He could make it. He had to find a way. They would find him. Howard would bring him back.

It was a fool's hope. But he needed it. Because he knew that there was no way he was going to be able to complete this mission without it.

"You know, I still don't know how to dance."

"I'll show you how." He could hear her soft murmur through the phone. "Just be there." There was a shadow of a plea in her words. His hands shook, but he forced his voice to stay steady as the plane began to plummet faster towards the ice.

"We'll have the band play something slow... I'd hate to step on your-"

And suddenly, the aircraft crashed into the ice, forcing Steve to jerk forward and hit his head on the control board. As the world began to darken around him, he could see the icy water seep in through the cracks. Panicking, he forced himself to stay awake and jab at the buttons. He heard her voice through the static.

"... Steve?""

Peggy. She was crying. Peggy, Peggy.

"Steve?"

And everything went black.

Steve exhaled sharply. His hands were shaking uncontrollably in his pockets. He closed his eyes, then opened them and waited until he trusted himself to speak.

"The Stork Club." He said finally. "It was... a place I used to go to a lot back in the day." He turned to look at Tony. "They're building something there now, I know. Some shopping center or something. But..." He stopped, unable to say any more without betraying himself. He locked his jaw and forced the mental barrier up again. There was a cool, collected expression on his face that replaced the brief vulnerable one.

"Was there something you wanted?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 10:35 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Stork Club. Jesus. Tony looked up at Steve with an unreadable expression. He’d heard that story before. Hell, he’d been there before; only once and way back before it had been torn down. The place Peggy and Steve were supposed to go dancing. He’d actually listened to that recording once, the one of the super soldier’s final moments before he had crashed. Howard had saved it, listening over and over again just in case Steve had said something, anything that might somehow aid in the search.

Of course there hadn’t been anything. Tony remembered the day Howard had listened to it one last time before heading out on what would be his final search mission. He had made one trip annually for more than twenty years, first in the hopes of rescue and later just to try and bring home some sign of the fallen hero. Tony had been seven when Howard had finally given up.

“I’m sorry, Peggy. I tried... There’s just nothing more I can do.”

“It’s all right, Howard,” came the quiet reply. “I understand. You’ve done far more than anyone would ask of you.” A pause, then, “We both knew there was never much hope.”

Tony listened from just outside the office door, silent and increasingly heartbroken. Dad had just come home, quiet and sad like he always was when he went off to search for Captain America. Tony, seven though he was, felt like crying when he found out that the search was done.

Now Aunt Peggy would never get her dance.

Now he’d never know if Steve would really have liked him.

“I wish I could have found him, Peg.”

Tony had never heard his dad sound so sad before, not even when he was so drunk that he talked to the air about things that Tony still didn’t quite understand.

“I know, Howard. I know.”

A short while later Peggy left the office, her eyes bright with tears that she couldn’t quite help. She tried to smile when she saw Tony but the attempt failed miserably, coming across as only a weak ghost of an actual smile.

Without a word Tony wrapped his arms around her. “I’ll find him for you, Aunt Peggy,” he sniffled, trying to behave like a big boy but finding it very hard indeed. “I’ll look for him all over! I’ll find him! I promise!”

Peggy just hugged him. “Thank you, darling.”

Tony meant it, his seven year-old heart determined. By the time he was grown though Peggy had fallen out of their lives, and his own admiration of Steve had long since mixed with jealousy. He never did end up looking for Cap.

Blinking once Tony looked out the window again, hoping that Steve wouldn’t care enough to notice or point out his lapse of attention. “Thor wants us,” he said in late reply to the soldier’s question. “He’s got a proposition for the team.” He skipped the part about being forced to come over under the belief that Steve was currently without a phone. He was going to kill Banner for that later, by the way.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 11:47 pm 
Ent
Ent

Steve didn't notice Tony's suddenly distracted look because he, too, was lost in thought. But upon hearing the playboy's words, he blinked out of his trance and focused his attention back to his guest.

"Thor? Is there something wrong? Loki hasn't escaped again, has he?" The soldier ran a hand through his hair. He opened his closet and pulled out his worn leather jacket.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 12:01 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony shook his head. “No, Loki’s still locked up. For now. I’ll let the big guy explain when we get there.”

Rising from the couch again he pulled his keys from his pocket, shooting one last glance around the apartment. “You riding with me or taking your bike?” he asked, not waiting for an answer and already heading for the door.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 1:08 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve felt a twinge of regret in regards to how he had acted as Tony left the apartment. They had gotten along somewhat nicely during the vacation, and the playboy had planned an entire birthday celebration for him. He took a moment to rest his head against the door before locking it. He would apologize later. Somehow.

---

"Are you sure this is safe?"

Hours later, they were standing on top of one of the tallest buildings that Tony had access to. Steve rubbed the back of his neck and stared at Thor as he paced around the spot, muttering to himself.

"Worry not, my dear friend. It is perfectly safe, for I have asked Heimdall to prepare for my return to Asgard." Thor clapped his hands together. "It is a glorious realm, though perhaps severely lacking in delectable desserts. Have you the poptarts, Banner?"

Bruce held up a ridiculously bulky sack and exchanged an amused look with Steve. "Got it."

Clint shook his head.

"I don't know how SHIELD is going to feel about your bouncing back and forth between realms, Thor."

"I've already informed Fury. He's telling the Council that we're going up to check on Asgard's security over Loki. We should be fine." Natasha folded her arms over her chest.

"Shall we, then?" Thor looked excited as they fell back into a circle. He hesitated, then tilted his head up to the sky and spoke clearly. "Heimdall! Let us through!"

Steve exchanged glances with the others as the god's words were met with silence.

"Heimdall! Do not play games with me, for I am not in a jesting mood!" Thor frowned.

"Thor," At this point, Banner looked a little worried for Thor's sanity. "Perhaps we should--"

Without warning, the clouds parted above them and the sky opened into a massive whirlpool. Within seconds, they were swallowed in light, vanishing into the tornado that disappeared as quickly as it came.

The landing came without ceremony. Steve groaned and struggled to his feet. The rest of the group didn't seem to be faring much better, save Thor, who seemed delighted with himself.

"Welcome to my home, friends."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 9:43 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony rose on slightly wobbly knees, bending down beside Bruce to put a hand on the kneeling physicist’s shoulder. Thankfully Banner looked more like he was going to be sick rather than about to Hulk out. “That was... ah... different,” he commented breathlessly after a moment, taking Tony’s offered hand and giving his fellow scientist a reassuring nod as he was pulled to his feet.

“I say we take the bus home,” Clint agreed, standing beside Cap and brushing imaginary rainbow dust from his clothes.

Recovering from the ride - or else faking it well - Tony spun slowly to look around, his eyes alight with curiosity. His inner child scientist was screaming and his hands itched to examine every inch of the portal-opening device, just to see what made it tick.

Above them on a slightly raised platform an imposing figure looked down, silent and intimidating enough to unnerve most. His eyes though were kind, or at the very least they were not unkind, even though their golden color was a bit... curious.

“This is Heimdall,” Thor introduced them. “He is our gate keeper. None may enter Asgard without his permission.”

“In the name of the Allfather I welcome you to Asgard.” The voice of the gatekeeper was rich, smooth, and deep, and lacked any menace at all for such an imposing man. “For your time here you will be under my protection. Nowhere in this realm will you be beyond my vision. If you require aid you need only ask it, and I will hear.”

Finished with his message Heimdall looked away from them again, turning his sight elsewhere. Thor quickly led them from the domed, vault-like structure and out onto the open bridge. As the vast emptiness of space spread out around them and the city shone before them even Tony fell speechless. Visibly impressed he turned to stare at the black of the sky, the pinprick white of the stars, the rainbows of far of nebulas, the waters that rolled away from Asgard and poured down into the nothingness. Now this was a view.

“Come, my friends!” Thor called and Tony turned to find a party of horses, most of them riderless, approaching. “These beasts will be yours for the time that you stay,” he informed them, each horse approaching one of the team as if choosing by instinct whom they would allow to ride. Tony ended up with an ash colored horse who walked straight up and shoved him in the chest before nickering.

“I think he likes you, Stark,” Natasha said dryly, already seated atop her own steed with all the grace of a natural born horsewoman. Tony ignored her and tried to remember everything he'd learned that one summer that his mother had insisted he take up horseback riding as a hobby to keep him out of the workshop.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 10:28 pm 
Ent
Ent

It didn't come as a surprise to anyone that the white horse chose Steve. The stallion lowered his head and rubbed his nose gently against the captain's shoulder. Steve smiled a little and hefted himself over the horse. Thor grinned.

"Roan is a good beast, Captain. He suits you."

Steve seemed somewhat pleased by Thor's comment. He reached down and stroked the horse's mane fondly.

"We'll look out for each other, won't we?" The beast snorted in agreement.

"Ah... a little help?" Bruce winced as the remaining horse trotted backwards, moving away from the scientist. As Bruce nervously held out his hand, the mare tossed her mane and neighed loudly.

"She senses your fear, Doc. Just relax and let her come to you." Natasha tilted her head.

Bruce looked helplessly at the horse before him.

"Isn't there a car or something...?"

"Nay, Banner. While you are in Asgard, these beasts will escort you to your destination, wherever that may be." Thor chuckled as the mare continued to circle around the poor doctor. "Atalia!" The horse froze and turned towards the god. "Cease your goading and be kind to Doctor Banner." Thor gestured to Bruce, who looked extremely uncomfortable.

"I don't think she likes me very much..."

"She will allow you to mount her now, Banner. You need not worry about her temperament while I am near." Thor pulled back the reins of his own horse and nodded towards the bridge. "We ride for the palace!"

As the majority of the group took off, Steve lingered back to watch Bruce. The doctor managed to climb on top of the mare, but not without several failed attempts. He swallowed and stared as Atalia tossed her massive head back and forth.

"The trouble is... how is she going to react when Thor isn't here?"

"Don't worry, Banner." Steve reached over and gave Bruce's shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "I'm sure she'll behave herself. Just give her reins a little tug."

The physicist winced and inhaled sharply. With a light pull on the ropes, Atalia shot forward and sped down the bridge. Steve grinned and followed closely behind.

---

"Jesus..." Clint murmured as they slowed to a trot at the gates of the palace. He let out a low whistle. "No offense, Stark, but Thor has one-up'd you on the whole empire thing."

"It must be nice living like this." Bruce commented as he dismounted. He seemed relieved to have his feet on solid ground. Natasha followed suit, but in a much more graceful manner.

"Wait 'til Fury gets a load of this place." She raised her eyebrow. Thor, who looked more excited than ever, jumped off of his horse and pushed the gates open. His cloak billowed behind him as he marched down the golden-lit path to the large glass doors.

"Come, my friends! I think you will be much impressed by your rooms."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 11:40 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Sliding off of his own mount Tony hung back for a moment to pat the horse’s neck. Virocculo - the steed’s name according to Thor - snorted and nudged him hard, causing him to stumble. With a glare at the beast Tony followed after the others.

He rolled his eyes when Clint commented on the palace, though he had to admit that the sheer opulence of the walks and walls was... stunning. “It’s a little too Viking for my taste,” he shrugged, not letting on that he was impressed. Tony Stark was never impressed with anything except his own brilliance after all.

Thor led them through the gilded halls to a set of huge doors which were opened by armored men. “These will be your rooms,” the Thunder God announced as he led the others inside. Nearly all of them came to a standstill.

The chamber before them was huge, the size of the suit in Tony’s tower and then some. In the center was a fire pit the size of a car, already roaring with a fair sized fire; apparently winter was coming on soon in Asgard and the nights were chilly. The entire back wall of the room was made up of ceiling high windows, curtains pulled back, leading to a balcony. Divans, couches, benches, chairs, furniture of all shapes was scattered about the room, some along the windows, around the fire, tucked in the corners. The walls to the left and right were lined with doors, five of them in total, through which one could make out bedchambers as plush and opulent as the shared chamber was.

Clint whistled low and instantly headed for one of the open doors, peeking inside before looking around again with wide eyes. “I gotta say, Thor, this is... really impressive.”

Bruce and Natasha had gone to the windows and were looking out over what appeared to be the palace gardens while Tony went to explore the nearest bedroom.

“I hope you will be comfortable here, my friends,” Thor said, looking childishly happy at the so far positive reactions. “My own quarters are but a short walk down the corridor. The palace is extensive but there will always be someone to show you the way should you become lost.”

Suddenly Tony exited the bedroom that had been pointed out as his, holding a bundle of cloth and wearing a look of horrified suspicion. “Thor.” The god turned to look at him questioningly. “What are these?”

A slow, sheepish yet mischievous grin stole over Thor’s features. “Those are your clothing for the feast that my father has ordered in your honor,” he announced. Across the room Clint all but skidded to a halt, matching Tony’s horror.

“What? No way. I am not wearing those.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 12:50 am 
Ent
Ent

"Sir," A young woman dressed in a humble, brown servant uniform stood by the door and bowed her head slightly. "It is customary that you adorn proper Asgardian wear to the banquet. Anything less would be considered impolite in the company of the Allfather."

Clint clearly looked unhappy as he gingerly picked up his dark purple cloak and let it fall again with a sigh.

"I guess that leaves us with no choice."

"The clothes have been tailored specifically to your style, as the Odinson requested." The young woman bowed again. "Should something not meet your needs, we shall do our best to find a remedy that is suitable to your request."

"How come Nat gets the black one?" Clint whined, clearly still pouting over his purple cloak. Natasha gave him a look and picked up her clothes wordlessly.

"They don't look particularly comfortable..." Bruce ran his hand over the chainmail, and then over his gray and purple shaded cloak.

"Though they do not look it, they are quite light. They were made by our best seamstresses in Asgard." Thor replied.

"Thank you." Steve nodded to the woman at the door, who flushed a little. But the captain, as always, was too oblivious to notice. "It couldn't have been easy to design these."

"Steve gets the blue one. How come Steve gets the blue one?" Clint gestured in a childish way at the navy blue cloak on the chair.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 1:33 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony had immediately snatched up his clothing and returned to his room before anyone could see them. He held them up before the room’s giant mirror, cringing as the colors the usually wore so smugly were now thrown back in his face in the most painful way possible. His cloak was the worst - and really, a cape? - solid shimmering gold in color. That was over the top even for him and he just knew that none of the others were never going to let him live it down. The rest of the ensemble was better, the leather a deep, wine colored red. Some sort of plating that he was pretty sure went on his shoulders sat on the bed, gold inlaid with red, along with a pair of gauntlets and boots. At least it would all hide his chest piece. The last thing he wanted was a bunch of drunk Norse gods staring at the pretty light almost where his heart should be.

Eyeing his reflection for several seconds Tony pursed his lips in resignation and began to pull on the ridiculous outfit. By the time he was finished he had cursed a blue streak in all four of the languages he was fluent in. This was ridiculous.

A knock on his door drew him out of his self-gazing. Oh well. He had looked worse, to be honest. Maybe never quite so “Shakespeare in the Park”, but still. Might as well make the best of it. Smirking at his reflection one last time he left the room behind.

Outside in the common room the others were all dressed and waiting for him. Tony would swear that none of them looked as ridiculous as he did and if Clint’s sudden outburst of laughter was anything to go by he was probably right. The archer actually looked fine, his own deep purple and sleeveless leather top fairly close to matching his combat outfit. The cape was a little much though.

Natasha looked hott, not that the playboy would admit it aloud. He valued his head, thank you. Bruce looked awkward but not terrible, and Steve... Steve looked like he felt as awkward as Banner did but was doing his best not to show it for Thor’s sake.

To be honest they all looked fine, if a little out of place. Thor nodded his approval. “They suit you well, my friends. Come!” he grinned, tossing an arm around Steve’s shoulder and motioning for the rest follow him. “The Allfather awaits.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 2:15 am 
Ent
Ent

As they entered the golden dining hall, the entire group, save for Thor, slowed to a stop. Steve couldn't tell whether or not the room had been lavishly decorated for them, or if this was simply what the royal family was used to on a day to day basis. If there was any doubt in the soldier's head before that Thor wasn't truly a god, there was none now. Gold and silver curtains draped along each wall with little tassels hanging from the ends. The long table in the middle of the room was draped with a muted champagne-coloured silk that shimmered in the soft glow of the flaming torches that hung from the domed ceiling. Steve had never seen anything decorated with such detail before. Even the white columns, which had been carved with great skill and intricacy, glistened like jewels. The soldier exhaled slowly and exchanged glances with the rest of the group before approaching the table.

Odin stood in front of the long line of Asgardians, his armor shining beneath the warm light from the flames above him. Even from a distance, his presence demanded respect. Steve found himself kneeling on one knee before he realized what he was doing. Instinct, he realized, as he saw Thor do the same in front of him. The Allfather clapped his hands once, and they rose to their feet again.

"Friends of Thor..." His deep voice echoed throughout the hall. "On behalf of my family and people, welcome to the palace of Asgard. It pleases me that you have come to dine with us this evening." He held his arms out to gesture to the feast before them. "I hope you will find our food suitable for your Midgardian taste. My son tells me he is quite impressed with your delicacies in your realm." Odin glanced at Thor with a slight nod.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next