Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Hobbit Section on the Main Site
PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 7:28 am 

This is where we can discuss and plan what to do with the Hobbit section on the main site. With all the new activity surrounding the Hobbit movie we really need to get this section updated and ready for fan-craziness! :P

Post here if you're up for the challenge! :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Section on the Main Site
PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 7:29 am 

To get us all started:

Johnny's Fan wrote:
The Hobbit page. If it looks a bit weird for a few days, it's because I'm getting pages ready for the new content. I've seprate sections for the films and the book, and created sub section for the films - crew bios, cast bios, gallery. I've started work on getting the main gallery page sorted as well, creating new image links for characters etc. I've also moved Nurr's trailer screencaps to the Hobbit gallery, although for now you can also find them on the LOTR gallery page, as I might shut down the Hobbit section this weekend, if I'm working on it and it's causing problems.

As I said, I've got as many Hobbit images on my computer as I could find so I will upload them to AU sometime in the next few days. Nurr - did you use Arwen's gallery generator thingy for the sceencaps? If so how does that work? And how did you create the thumbnails? By hand or with a programme?

When that has been done, I'd like to pass over the gallery onto someone else, someone who is willing to look for new photos and who has basic understanding of our system to upload the images to their own files. I'll be on hand to create new image links, and add them to the gallery HTML file, but other than that this would be a good job for someone else, or maybe have more than one person looking for images, and only one person gets the password to actually add them to the site.

Writing: We could really do with some Hobbit character bios for the book section. I have just looked at the LOTR character bios (need to do something about the layout for that, shouldn't be too hard) and we need something like that for The Hobbit. Would anyone be willing to take a stab at writing the biographies? Maybe cross checking the LOTR bios as well, to make sure things match might also be good.

Opinions: I've just looked at the J.R. R Tolkien page. Do we need the tree thingy Arwen has? Or should each page simply be written links as normal? Do we need all the different sections anyway? [I would just like to say, in my 8 years of visiting AU I have NEVER clicked on that page ]

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 8:30 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

If given a list of bios that need writing, and a template to follow, I can get started on that right away.

will I ever find someone pursuing me?

Fan Fiction General

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 12:29 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ A volunteer yay! :D

I'm not quite sure what the list of bios would be, as I can't name all the characters that we need bios for (such a bad fan :p) but if you take a look at the LOTR bios section http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/character_bios.html you can see how Arwen has made her bios, to give you an idea on what kind of information we need and how she has set them out. It would probably be a good idea if we got a proof-reader to sign on soon, so someone can read over the bios and check information and things like that.

Regarding the bios that will also be in the LOTR section - just like with the Hobbit cast and crew bios that will also be in the LOTR section, it will be easier if the same bios are in each area. So if someone happens to want to read about Gandalf in the Hobbit bios, and doesn't go to the LOTR section, then they will be reading the same thing and not missing out. In which case, there are a few Hobbit bios that will not need to be written as Arwen has covered their time in the Hobbit. Gandalf, Bilbo, Gollum and Elrond spring to my mind, I'm not sure if there is anyone else?

I think we also need a page of PJ's video diaries, trailers and stuff like that. The official videos. Somewhere where they are all together. Whether they would simply be all on one page, or in categories (like all PJ's diaries on one page, or maybe even one per page). But that would be useful.

The gallery is looking less optimistic at the moment, mainly because I was mistaken in thinking Nurr did the adding of the screencaps. :duh: But the gallery is going to happen, don't you worry. :p

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 12:33 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Do we need to facebook-poke Arweb and ask her to pop over here for a bit? To help with things/clear things up where we're unsure?

Anyone who needs proof-reading can pm me, btw :) I'll either do it myself or ask someone who's volunteered to do it.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 2:37 pm 

^Ana, yeah, it would probably be a good idea to give Arweb a heads up.

@JF: Freya and Hravan also volunteered in the Revival 2011 thread to help out with researching, writing and proofreading. If they don't pop in here you might want to shoot them a PM if you have a specific task in mind.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 2:45 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Done! :)

Hravan, Goldleaf (with the wiggly things my keyboard can't do) and Sairahiniel replied to my pm saying they could do writing jobs. Freya said she was up for anything.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 7th, 2012, 4:23 am 
Elf
Elf

Bios need writing? Perving over Researching Aidan Turner, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch and all the others? I'm totally OK with doing that :whistle:

Next week is my half-term (a week off college) so I'll try to get a lot done then. I'll get started on cast bios if that's OK? :D

PostPosted: February 7th, 2012, 11:51 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ The bios that need writing are unfortunately for you, just the character bios from the novel. :P Larael has the cast bios I believe, we're just waiting to get them from her. Although I think we are going to have to think about an end date for this, and then someone else will have to write them again as we can't be waiting forever.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 4:14 am 

Did you get the cast bios from Larael and what kind of help do you need on the Hobbit section in general?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 11:19 am 
Istari
Istari

Are you planning on having poems and such from the book on The Hobbit section of the site? If so, I'd be happy to collect those for you. :)

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: August 6th, 2012, 8:53 am 

Yeah, that'd be great! Just follow the same format we're already using.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

Sounds good! I'm on vacation now and don't have the book with me (shocking, right? :P), but I'll get to work once we're back. :)

PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 8:04 am 

Thanks Ariadne, please coordinate with Nurr when you're ready to put it on the site.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 9:14 am 
Istari
Istari

OK; will do! I'm heading home today, so I'll be able to get started on it pronto. :)

PostPosted: September 8th, 2012, 11:28 am 
Istari
Istari

Sorry I haven't been on top of the poems, but I do have my book now, so I'm planning to get started on it this weekend.

Edit: it's all done! I sent Nurr a PM, so it should be all set for the site. :)