Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avengers, Assemble! (Private RP)
PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 12:20 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony looked down in surprise before glancing in the soldier’s direction with a pointed and openly suspicious stare. “Um, I don’t know,” he said in reply to the little girl. He hadn’t exactly been planning on it. “I don’t think-”

He felt a hint of panic when the little girl’s face fell. “I don’t think they’d want me to come back,” he added quickly, his voice dropping to a stage-whisper. “I’m not very good at things like this.”

“I bet Mr. Steve could show you!” Hannah declared, nodding seriously and wrapping her arms around the playboy’s waist again. “He knows how to do lots of stuff. Please, Mr. Stark? Johnny wants you to come back too! Don’t you Johnny?” She turned to her brother pleadingly, seeming unaware that her actions were cause for some embarrassment on the young man’s part.

“Er... I guess,” the preteen shifted awkwardly, his eyes saying yes far more than his words did.

“See?” The little girl said, looking back up at him again with the biggest puppy eyes that Tony had ever seen. “Will you?”

Cornered and he knew it Tony finally nodded. “Sure, kid. I’ll come back. Just to make sure that I don’t lose my best fans though,” he said with a wink to cover up the awkwardness that he was sure was clearly written all over his face. “Can’t have Captain America stealing you away after all,” he finished, again in a stage-whisper and with a playfully sneaky look towards Steve.

just a big man with a suit of armor.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 12:44 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve chuckled.

"I've known them for quite awhile now, Stark. You don't have a thing to worry about. They're loyal to the Ironman." There was warmth in his eyes as he clapped a hand on Johnny's shoulder. "But it's getting late. Mrs. Wilson said she'll walk you home tonight and ask if you can stay over at her place tomorrow."

Both of the children instantly lit up. Hannah turned to Tony, grinning from ear to ear.

"Mrs. Wilson has the best things at her house. She bakes us cookies and lets us have our very own room!"

Johnny looked embarrassed.

"Sometimes I sleep on the couch, though. I'm too big to be sharing a room with my little sister."

"Says who?" Hannah demanded.

"Me, that's who." Johnny gave her a glare, but quickly checked himself. "Anyway, Mrs. Wilson is pretty cool."

There was a short, awkward silence.

"Hannah?" Steve released Johnny and held out his hand towards the little girl. "Why don't you say good night to Mr. Stark so we can grab your things and meet Mrs. Wilson out front?"

The little girl seemed sad to go, but she nodded and turned back to Tony. She pulled on his shirt until he leaned down.

"Thanks for coming, Mr. Stark." She whispered with a giggle that sounded like bells. She kissed his cheek and ran to the soldier, who swooped her up with one arm and carried her out of the room with a chuckle.

Johnny lingered behind, scuffling his feet. After a moment, he looked up and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"It's really nice, what you're doing. Promising her you'll come back, I mean." He paused, his cheeks a little pink but his eyes serious. "But I just wanted you to know that you don't have to come back. Billionaires have busy schedules. You hardly ever see them in dirty soup kitchens just to humor a few kids." He looked at his shoes. "But anyway, I just wanted to thank you for being nice to my sister. She likes you a lot. And meeting you once is more than anything we could have ever dreamed of. Kids like us... we don't get too many opportunities to meet heroes like you." He glanced up again, but this time, he extended his hand with an awkward smile.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is... it was great meeting you, Mr. Stark. You're pretty cool. Just like Steve said."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 1:11 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Listening to Johnny talk served to convince Tony that coming back was what he should do, if only once. Keeping promises wasn’t something he was especially good at, telling lies was far easier, but this time it needed to be different. He took the hand of the young man and shook it once.

“I never had any siblings, but as far as I can tell you’re an awesome brother,” he told the kid. “And I may look good flying around in the sky with a shiny suit and blasting bad guys, but that’s not what makes someone a hero. Trust me, you’ve got the makings.”

Johnny blushed again and looked at the floor once more. “I’m not a hero.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” the playboy said with a shrug and a pat on the shoulder. “Your sister may draw pictures of me, but I guarantee when she needs something the Iron Man isn’t the first person she turns to.”

The look on the preteen’s face was one of embarrassment mixed with hope. From the front of the building Mrs. Wilson called for Johnny and both he and the playboy looked towards the door, each thankful that the rising awkwardness had been broken.

“I should go.”

“Yeah,” Tony nodded. As the boy headed for the door Tony called after him. “Hey. What you said about kids like you meeting heroes like me - guys like me don’t take many opportunities to meet kids like you, either. So it looks like we both did each other a favor. Thanks.”

Johnny grinned, a little sheepishly, and nodded. “You’re welcome. Goodbye, Mr. Stark.”

Tony waved as the young man disappeared through the doorway and jogged towards his waiting sister. “See you around, kid.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 1:57 am 
Ent
Ent

Five minutes later, Steve pushed through the doors again to find Tony still in the kitchen. He had watched the playboy all night. Frankly, he was surprised that he had stayed, but he was glad that Tony had proved him wrong. He pulled out a few glasses and uncorked a bottle of cheap wine. A moment later, he handed one of the drinks to the playboy.

"It's not much, but it's how we celebrate a successful day around here. Thanks for coming." He paused, then raised his own glass to his lips and took a sip. He studied Tony for a moment. "You still haven't dried out yet. Don't you have a car or something for these things?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 2:08 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony sniffed at the wine before taking a sip; not his usual preferred vintage, but he wasn’t snobby about it. He smirked as he looked down at himself, still damp and looking less than stellar, though some of that had less to do with walking down wet Manhattan streets and more to do with his unusual work hours lately. “Actually I have several cars, most of which are safely in my garage where they can’t be ruined by the ever lovely New York traffic,” he replied. “I left my in-town ride back at your place. Didn’t seem worth it to try and find a new space to park. Especially since I didn’t think I’d be walking three blocks to find you.” Just why he had felt the need to find the other man he didn’t elaborate on, especially since he wasn’t certain of his reasons himself. The package didn’t seem like an entirely valid excuse, since he could have brought it over any time.

Looking around the kitchen again, searching for some conversation topic that would keep things from heading any sort of awkward direction, Tony then glanced back at the soldier. “Every Monday, huh? How often do they run this place? Seems like it’d be hard, keeping it going every day with it being this small.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 1:42 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve rubbed the back of his neck and glanced around the tiny kitchen. He leaned back on the counter, falling silent for a minute.

"Linda's great. She's got a good heart. She and Philip have been running this place for years. It has always run smoothly, but you can't really control the amount of people in need on the streets." He reached out and touched one of the walls to pick off some of the peeling paint. "I've been meaning to help them touch up the rooms, but... well." He looked at the playboy. "Things have been busy, lately."

He pushed off the counter and slapped his hands together, rubbing his palms to keep them warm. There was an awkward pause, and then he forced his shoulders to relax. His expression seemed tense.

"Look, I know we... " He stopped, frowning to himself. With a shake of his head, he started again. "I'm going home to check on my dinner." He ran a hand through his blonde hair and shrugged a shoulder. "You're welcome to join me." Clearly uncomfortable with the silence, he quickly added, "Only because you helped all night and I figure you deserve a little more than just a glass of cheap wine."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 12th, 2012, 8:58 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“You actually go home and cook after all this?” the playboy asked, following the solider out through the back door and into the side-alley that led to the street. The sky was dark and the only light came from the street lamps and the distant shimmering of the ever-bright downtown area. The cloud still hung heavy but for the moment the rain had stopped. Hopefully they would make it back to the apartment before the sky decided that they both needed to be soaking wet again.

Tony had neither accepted nor turned down Steve’s offer of food, thinking that he would see how things went. Odds were he would just hand over the items he had come to deliver and get back to the tower - and back to work.

Speaking of which, JARVIS had yet to send him a message and Tony was beginning to get antsy, though of course it didn’t show - aside from his checking his phone every half-hour or so. He had a sneaking suspicion that the AI had probably been ready hours ago but simply hadn’t said anything.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 12:21 am 
Ent
Ent

"You don't expect me to eat the soup from the kitchen every Monday night, do you?" The soldier gave Tony a look as they trudged down the damp streets of Manhattan. The wind began to pick up as they approached Steve's apartment. He fitted the key into the door and swung it open. He gestured to the stairs to let the playboy enter first. "You'll probably want something hot to drink. Fancy city slickers like you probably aren't used to roughing this kind of weather." Steve raised an eyebrow, but there was a hint of amusement in his expression.

As they reached his room, Steve let them in and flicked on the lights. Virtually nothing had changed, except for a few extra books here and there, which the soldier quickly, but casually, stowed away in one of the drawers.

"Make yourself at home. There are some dry clothes in the closet over there." He gestured to his right. "When you're done, meet me in the kitchen." And with that, he left the playboy in the middle of the bare room.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 1:01 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A little surprised at the offer and the friendly order-not-order - vaguely Tony wondered if Steve even realized that he seemed to have an air of command even when there wasn’t a battle - the playboy wandered to the closet and peered inside with some suspicion. The clothing was hung with a neatness that Tony had expected, and there wasn’t much extravagance to it at all. Steve had only what he needed.

Keeping his own damp jeans - Steve’s were too long, plus the very idea of wearing the other man’s pants was just... weird - Tony borrowed a fresh tee and a pull over hoodie. Both were too big for him, thanks to the soldiers much broader shoulders and chest and Tony’s thinner, more wiry frame, and they hung off of him, but he didn’t really care. The hoodie was a little heavy for the time of year, but thankfully the sleeves were loose enough to roll up. The end effect was amusing, since from the neck down he looked like a skinny teenager with his grubby sneakers (because yes, even Tony Stark could wear a pair of Chucks now and then), his damp jeans, and the over-large shirt that obviously belonged to his jock of a best friend.

Dropping his own damp jacket and tee beside the front door to be retrieved before he left Tony headed for the kitchen. He paused in the doorway, leaning against the frame and cocking an eyebrow as the soldier moved around the room before him. “You know you could have just ordered takeout. Pizza, Chinese, Korean, Cajun, weird food that they call Chinese when I’m pretty sure it’s actually not. Hotdogs. I’m pretty sure there’s even a joint that will deliver custom cheeseburgers. You don’t actually have to cook.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 1:42 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve raised his eyebrow at the playboy and handed him a steaming mug of coffee. There was a warm, cinnamon aroma that rose from the hot beverage. Trust Steve Rogers to be meticulous at everything, even down to a cup of coffee. He ran a hand through his hair and pushed a bowl of creamy liquid towards the playboy. He tapped the edge of the bowl with a whisk.

"Here. Mix that. Keep it light, ok?" He gestured to the two chicken breasts resting on top of a cutting board. "After that, cover the chicken in the buttermilk sauce."

Wasting no time, the cook whipped out another cutting board and began to mince the fresh rosemary. The aroma of fresh bread filled the kitchen as they worked side by the side. The dinner rolls that Steve had pre-made were beginning to rise quickly. As the soldier sprinkled the different spices onto the dry ingredients, he glanced at Tony.

"You're good with kids. You made Hannah's night, you know. And Johnny's."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 9:55 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The playboy drank the coffee with appreciative slowness, grateful for the caffeine. He arched his eyebrows in surprise when he found that it was actually one of the better cups that he could remember having. “Not bad.” It was a compliment and thank you, sort of.

Tony looked at the bowl with obvious uncertainty - usually, and in the few times he had ever tried to cook, there was always JARVIS to read very specific steps to him. Still, he could whisk a simple bowl of marinade without ruining it. Once that was done Tony continued to do as Steve had instructed, spreading the “lightly whisked” buttermilk sauce over the chicken.

With a typical half smile he neither acknowledged nor denied the compliment that the soldier had paid him. To outright object to it wasn’t his style - Tony Stark would never admit to not being good at anything, after all, but to accept it seemed equally wrong. “They seem like good kids,” he said instead, focusing on the chicken as he gave up trying to brush the liquid over it and instead just slid both of the breasts into the bowl to let them soak. Hopefully that wouldn’t ruin it.

Leaning back against one of the countertops Tony crossed his arm and watched the soldier worked. The rising aroma from the bread was forcing him to realize rather suddenly that he was starving. “What else should I do?”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 12:36 am 
Ent
Ent

"Well first of all, you should take those chicken breasts out of the bowl." Steve raised his eyebrow at the two servings of poultry drowning in the buttermilk sauce. He wordlessly scooped them out with a spatula and laid them flat on the cutting board again. He picked up the bowl of dried ingredients, which appeared to be a mixture of bread crumbs, nuts, rosemary and other spices, and poured a small amount onto a plate. He repeated the process with another, and slid the second dish to the playboy.

"You coat your own piece. If you mess it up, you're still eating it." Steve poured the remainder of the sauce into the sink before swiftly beginning to coat the chicken with expertise. He finished before Tony was even halfway through the first side of his dinner. The soldier opened the oven and slid the tray of dinner rolls out. He laid them carefully on the table, working quickly to place each of the rolls onto the plate before they burned his fingers.

"Here, catch." He tossed the last one in the playboy's direction without looking. He played a clean sheet of foil on top of the now empty rack and carefully laid his chicken on top.

"It should take fifteen minutes to bake." Steve stepped back and looked at Tony, finally taking in his attire. There was a beat of silence.

"Probably should have found you some smaller clothes." He said with a deadpan expression.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 1:11 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony made faces at Steve’s back the entire time he was coating his own chicken, while also watching from the corner of his eye to make sure that he was doing it properly. He had finally finished and was stepping away from the sink when Steve threw the dinner roll at him. He caught it without thinking and immediately flung it at the counter with a startled curse when it proved to be hot.

“My god, you do have a sense of humor,” he said, his eyes alight with joking wonder in reply to the soldier’s deadpan comment concerning his clothes. Grabbing the roll from the counter Tony tossed it in his hands a few times before taking a bite. His expression completely deadpan he looked down at himself, seeming completely serious. “I’ll admit the jacket does nothing for my figure, but I’m still pretty anyway, don’t you think?”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 3:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

"Well, I suppose if Pepper thinks so, that's all that matters, right?" Steve said in an off-hand matter, neither agreeing with him nor disagreeing. He opened the refrigerator and pulled out a small dish of chilled butter. Sliding a knife out of the wooden block on the table, he sliced one of the rolls in half and spread one side of the bread evenly with the butter.

There was a sudden noise from the doorway. A damp, black ball of fur scurried across the tiled floor and pounced on the soldier's shoe. Steve's mouth quirked into a smile as he bent down and scooped it up with one hand. The kitten mewed, looking at Tony with big green eyes.

"There you are. I was wondering where you had gone. Escaped through the window again, eh?" The soldier placed the cat on the counter. "He followed me home awhile back. Haven't gotten a chance to give him back to Banner yet. But I'm sure you've barely missed his presence." Steve raised his eyebrows in amusement and took a bite out of his dinner roll. The chicken sizzled in the oven, filling the kitchen with the warm aroma of walnuts and rosemary.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 9:49 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony blinked at the kitten, having completely forgotten about the scraggly thing until just that moment when it reappeared. He grimaced when it slinked across the counter and rubbed it’s head against his arm, purring enticingly as if asking him to please scratch it behind the ears.

“Banner was wondering where he’d run off to,” he recalled after a moment. Seeming to realize that Tony was not going to pet him Loki - Thor’s name for the cat, which for various reasons no one had seen fit to change - leapt from the counter and padded towards the stove. Bouncing up to stand on his hind legs the kitten peered into the oven through the window, meowing and bouncing his nose against the glass.

Tony decided that now would be as good a time as any to give Steve the package that he had come to deliver in the first place, that way they could eat and the food would keep them from being uncomfortable or awkward - maybe. Offering an excuse he left the apartment and went out to his car, retrieving the shoebox sized cardboard box (the envelope had evolved into a box as Tony remembered to grab a few more things before leaving the Tower).

It wasn’t much. Mostly the box contained old photographs that Tony and JARVIS had spent hours digitally restoring. After the team had returned from Asgard, and on a night when sleep was proving elusive, Tony had decided to sift through some of his dad’s old things and had rediscovered some pictures, along with some old footage and a certain communications recording. Howard had kept a lot of things from his WWII days, and the pictures were full of people that Steve had known, and several included the super soldier himself.

Most of the images in the box Tony held were of Peggy, some during the war and several from after. There was one with a pre-serum Steve, standing with a young Howard and the famous Dr. Erskine. The Howling Commandos were in several as well, and there were a few of Steve and a young man that Tony guessed to be Bucky Barnes. Some of Tony’s personal favorites were the posters and photos of Steve in his costume, kissing babies, shaking hands with men in uniform, knocking out a caricature of Adolf Hitler. That last he found especially hilarious.

Along with the photos in Steve’s box were two DVDs. One contained several of the old War Bond’s Campaign reels. The quality was still fairly terrible - the film they’d come from was over 70 years old after all - but Tony and JARVIS had managed to clean it up a little and digitalize it. The other DVD held video images of news reels, most of them covering Steve and the Howling Commandos. The soldier would need to buy a DVD player but Tony hadn’t wanted to leave them out. Plus it didn’t matter if Steve actually watched them, at least he had the option.

Another item was an old leather-bound sketchbook with the name Steve Rogers marked on the inside flap. Most of Steve’s old belongings had gone to Peggy after he had died, simply because the soldier had no living family to claim the personal effects. Just before she had passed away the sketchbook had been sent to Tony, and somehow it had ended up tucked away in a box in the corner with the rest of Howard Stark’s old war-time memories. Now it was going back to Steve.

The final item was buried at the very bottom of the box, and its inclusion was something Tony had struggled with for a while. It had taken a significant amount of bourbon and a memory of a drunk and staggering Steve, declaring his loneliness while Tony helped him back to his room, to give the playboy the courage to shove it into the envelope. It was another photograph, this one in full color, and of the entire Avengers team. Clint had insisted that they take it once and Tony had secretly downloaded his own copy ages ago. They all looked terrible, as it had been taken not long after a battle with someone that Tony couldn’t quite recall just then. But they were smiling, for the most part, and looked like some weird, dysfunctional family. Which they probably were, depending on how you looked at it. Steve stood in the center surrounded on either side by the rest of them. It looked oddly similar to an older photograph of the soldier and his friends in the war.

Tony hoped the soldier would get the hint without anyone having to say anything, because that conversation was way beyond the realm of comfort.

Heading back inside, the playboy carried the box into the kitchen. Steve was checking the chicken, and when he straightened and turned around again he found a box being held out by a very calm and confident looking Tony Stark. “Here.” He shifted for a moment, glancing around before looking up again. “Consider it partial incentive to finally buy a television.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 12:54 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve looked at the box with a wary expression, then took it hesitantly. He placed it on the table and reached inside to pull out the photographs. His face froze when he recognized the first image. Steve, pre-operation, looking awkward and wedged between Dr. Erskine and Colonel Phillips. Hands shaking, he moved the second photograph.

He recognized her instantly. She was older, but her eyes were still the same. Warm and brown, with a hint of charm that only Peggy Carter could manage to express. He hadn't seen her face in seven decades, save for the locket that was always in his trouser pocket wherever he went. He swallowed the lump in his throat. When he looked up again to meet the playboy's gaze, his face revealed nothing, but his blue eyes seemed more intense than usual. He tossed the photographs back in.

"A box of old stuff. A little sentimental for you, don't you think Tony Stark?" His tone was light and surprisingly teasing. The soldier had spent every day since the moment he woke perfecting the mask he wore on a daily basis-- it was his protection from letting the rest of the world in. As he lifted the box up again, a colorful photo caught his eye. He picked it up and tilted his head slightly to the side. Despite the inner turmoil that grasped his insides, the image of the Avengers leaning to support each other in front of the demolished buildings relaxed him, if only for a moment. He raised his eyebrow and brandished the picture at the playboy.

"Nice. From this angle, you can see just how filthy your face is, despite your suit." He dropped it back into the box. "Can you pull out the chicken? Dinner's just about ready. I'm going to put this away." He moved past the playboy before he could respond.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next