Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Avengers, Assemble! (Private RP)
PostPosted: August 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony watched Steve exit the kitchen silently, wise enough to keep any wisecracks or parting comments to himself. He had never been certain that giving the soldier the things was a good idea, and based on the man’s reaction he still wasn’t 100% sure. But what’s done is done and the playboy chose not to dwell on it.

He pulled the chicken out and checked it as best he could to be certain that it was done before sliding each of the breasts onto two separate plates and carrying them to the table, along with the rolls and silverware which he found in a drawer. He sifted through the fridge for his own drink, not finding much but finally snatching a beer from the back. He then sat down to wait, his elbow resting on the table, head in hand while he fiddled with his phone and sent JARVIS another text of inquiry.

just a big man with a suit of armor.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 2:01 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve placed the box on top of his bed. He didn't dare to reach in and rummage around in the material while Tony was still waiting in the kitchen, although he did allow himself to take a minute before going back outside. His head was spinning. He rested it against the cold glass and listened to the rain as it pounded against the window. He exhaled sharply and forced himself to walk back outside, his expression as distant and serene as ever.

"Looks good." He commented as he took a seat at the small wooden table. He picked up a fork and raised his eyebrow. "Not bad for a first-timer, you know."

A part of him wanted to ask Tony why he had decided to give him the photographs and documents. But he didn't. Instead, he cut his chicken neatly and took a bite.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 10:13 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A silent breath of laughter and a roll of his eyes was Tony’s only reply as he began to devour his own meal, leaning back in the chair with a level relaxation that was liable to lead him to crash later if he weren’t careful. Halfway through the meal his phone finally buzzed, JARVIS alerting him to the fact that the system was ready again when he was. Thinking that Steve was probably eager to get rid of him at this point - though Tony had to admit that part of him was oddly reluctant to go - he at least finished eating and was polite enough to put his things in the sink before moving to leave.

“I’ll bring these back some other time if that’s okay,” he said, tugging on the hoodie as he picked up his pile of damp clothing from beside the door. He shifted on his feet and looked around the apartment again as he went on, for the most part avoiding meeting Steve’s eyes. “Look, the pictures and everything, I know it’s just a bunch of old stuff and you may not want it, but if you do... there’s more. I just brought what I had time to fix up. Dad... well, he kept a lot of stuff and since I don’t use it...” he shrugged. “Anyway, it’s there if you decide you want it.”

Listening to the rain still pouring down outside the door Tony flopped his hood up and put his hand on the doorknob. “See you around, Rogers.”

just a big man with a suit of armor.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 10:51 pm 
Ent
Ent

The soldier pressed a hand on the frosted window as he watched Tony speed away and round the corner. His finger traced a small droplet of rain as it slid down the glass. He exhaled slowly, then turned to clear the table. But as he reached for the plates, his hand dropped and he swiveled slightly towards the bedroom. Unable to hold back any longer, he found himself moving towards the open doorway before he even realized what he was doing.

The box was still sitting on the top of his bed. He didn't know why he had expected-or maybe hoped- any different. He swallowed. He was shaking as he reached into the box and pulled out the first picture.

"Steve, come here."

"I don't do well with pictures, ma'am." The scrawny soldier held his hands up in a weak attempt to protect himself from the foreboding camera. Peggy placed a hand on her hip and arched an eyebrow.

"Look, this has to be done whether you like it or not. For documentation, if nothing else."

"Agent Carter, you know as well as I do that this picture is going to be plastered all over the papers if the experiment is successful." Howard took a long drag from his cigarette. Peggy shot him a lethal glare.

"If you're not going to help, Mr. Stark, I suggest you fix your tie and get into place before I call someone here to do it for you."

Howard mimicked Steve's defensive stance with a hint of sarcasm and tossed his cigarette into the dirt.

"Yes ma'am." He turned towards the soldier and winked. "I'd listen to the gal if I were you, Steve. She's not one to be messed with."

As the inventor moved away from them, Peggy placed her boot on top of the smoking cigarette and twisted her foot to put it out. Her expression softened when she saw Steve look down at himself uncertainly. His attempts at making his jacket look more fitting were unsuccessful. With a warm look, she stepped forward and fixed his hair. If she noticed him tense at her touch, she didn't show it.

"You look good." Her voice was sincere. She stepped back to look at him properly. The soldier shoved his hands into his pockets with a half-hearted dimpled smile.

"I'll look better tomorrow once the operation is over."

Peggy paused for a moment. Her expression was soft, with a hint of sadness. She took his arm.

"I think you look just fine as you are, Steve."

And with that, he allowed her to guide him to the center of the field, where the doctor and Howard were waiting in front of the cameras.

The soldier shook slightly as he stared down at the photograph. It was wet. Panicking slightly for no fathomable reason, he wiped it with the edge of his shirt, but this only caused the old ink to smear.

"Steve..."

"...Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late. Understood?"

"... You know, I still don't know how to dance."

"... I'll show you how. Just be there..."

"... Steve?"

With a shudder, he threw the photograph across the room and slid to the floor, cradling his head in his hands as he sunk into the carpet. The thunder roared outside, shaking the apartment. The memories hit him like waves of sharp, unforgiving pain.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good man."

He stayed that way, with his face planted into his knees and his hands holding his head, for a long time. Sometime during the night, he finally fell asleep. But before he slipped into his unconsciousness, he reached out and pulled the photograph towards him. He slept through the night with the picture gently cradled in his hand.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16