Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the books that you could not finish?
PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 4:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I know we are talking about amazing books that we will re-read more than one time; but what about the books you could not finish???

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: What are the books that you could not finish?
PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 12:05 am 
Istari
Istari

I borrowed a James Patterson book from my grandpa, and I dunno, it just didnt click for me. I think its because I knew who the bad guy was from the get-go, so it wasn't much of a mystery. I like trying to figure it out along with the main characters. So I didnt finish that one. I also got bored with Stephenie Meyer's "The Host", only made it a few chapters in before I realized that it just wasn't working. Just not into alien stories.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 12:36 am 
Istari
Istari

I never really got into The Series of Unfortunate Events. I know that a lot of people loved those books, but I guess it just wasn't my thing at the time and didn't spark my interest enough to keep me reading.

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 4:18 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lithôniel wrote:
I borrowed a James Patterson book from my grandpa, and I dunno, it just didnt click for me. I think its because I knew who the bad guy was from the get-go, so it wasn't much of a mystery. I like trying to figure it out along with the main characters. So I didnt finish that one. I also got bored with Stephenie Meyer's "The Host", only made it a few chapters in before I realized that it just wasn't working. Just not into alien stories.

I never tried James Patterson books and I hate alien stories; I can never get into them.

Ariadne394 wrote:
I never really got into The Series of Unfortunate Events. I know that a lot of people loved those books, but I guess it just wasn't my thing at the time and didn't spark my interest enough to keep me reading.

I wonder why? May be you are more magical than a Goth ;)

I could not finish Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga :/

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 10:34 am 
Elf
Elf

Atonement. I think I've already written why I hate it so much in another thread... Let me hunt down a link.....
Here we go: viewtopic.php?p=1196394#p1196394

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 10:43 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hravan wrote:
Atonement. I think I've already written why I hate it so much in another thread... Let me hunt down a link.....
Here we go: viewtopic.php?p=1196394#p1196394

I see, Ian McEwan is really evil. Not for his gift which he can enjoy but for his egotistical soul. Have not he wonder that he might never ever write a great book again or even famous one? Bloody hell.

I hate The Fifty Shades of Grey, it's a Twilight erotic fan fiction so "It have no manners or characters".

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 11:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

I haven't read 50 Shades, but a friend gave me her opinion, and from it I decided it would be a waste of my time to read something that has no real plot or character development.

I read this one book called 'Poison', i cant even remember who the author was, but it was some sort of supernatural mystery type thing. It was so insanely boring, I only got through the first few chapters by force. And I liked the first book the guy wrote, that one was good, but the second one was just...bleh!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 3:51 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lithôniel wrote:
I haven't read 50 Shades, but a friend gave me her opinion, and from it I decided it would be a waste of my time to read something that has no real plot or character development.

I read this one book called 'Poison', i cant even remember who the author was, but it was some sort of supernatural mystery type thing. It was so insanely boring, I only got through the first few chapters by force. And I liked the first book the guy wrote, that one was good, but the second one was just...bleh!

I believe 50 Shades of Grey did not take her long time because fan fictions are easy :/

'Poison'? Is it The Poison Diaries? If so, I have just read book 1...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 11:48 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ No, it wasn't in a series or anything, it was just called 'Poison', it was a YA novel I checked out back in high school. Just didn't grab me at all.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 12:17 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Scarlet Letter. Of course that may be because I was forced to read it for school. :P

Tom Sawyer... (tried reading it just because) only got through a few chapters. It was just boring.

Oh... and the Percy Jackson series. I read the first 3, but for some reason I just couldn't manage to get anywhere in the 4th.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 6:19 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Feanor wrote:
The Scarlet Letter. Of course that may be because I was forced to read it for school. :P

Tom Sawyer... (tried reading it just because) only got through a few chapters. It was just boring.

Oh... and the Percy Jackson series. I read the first 3, but for some reason I just couldn't manage to get anywhere in the 4th.

All three are lovely. I read Tom Sawyer in Arabic but not as good as the English version.
I am planning to buy the Percy Jackson series Box Set so I stopped until I own the books :) ..

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 8:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ooooh...the first one coming to mind is Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It's a classic, and we had to read it for my Advanced Placement English lit class when I was a junior in high school. I just couldn't stand the book, plus it didn't help that my teacher ran out of hard copies of the book so I was given the whole thing on photocopied pages to read...and when my teacher admitted that SHE didn't even read the whole thing when she was in high school, I lost all motivation. XD If my teacher didn't have to suffer through it, why should she expect me to?

(I should note that even though I didn't finish the book I still got a 92% on the paper I wrote on it...)

Most recently I had to stop reading Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler. I've read another book by the same author and really enjoyed it, but I just couldn't connect with this one.

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 8:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I couldn't finish LotR... as I said in the 'What are you reading' thread, it's kinda visually overwhelming in a sense, because it's so big (the LotR we own is the whole trilogy in one, I forgot which edition) and I watched the movie first, so I got a bit bored. But fortunately I'm pushing myself to start- and finish- it before April ends. I HAVE to start on Apr.1st because someone *coughpokenudge EraisuithielS* is reading it AGAIN and I haven't even read the whole thing.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 6:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Arabella Baggins wrote:
Ooooh...the first one coming to mind is Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It's a classic, and we had to read it for my Advanced Placement English lit class when I was a junior in high school. I just couldn't stand the book, plus it didn't help that my teacher ran out of hard copies of the book so I was given the whole thing on photocopied pages to read...and when my teacher admitted that SHE didn't even read the whole thing when she was in high school, I lost all motivation. XD If my teacher didn't have to suffer through it, why should she expect me to?

I have never tried Heart of Darkness. Is it good? :)

aralas_29 wrote:
I couldn't finish LotR... as I said in the 'What are you reading' thread, it's kinda visually overwhelming in a sense, because it's so big (the LotR we own is the whole trilogy in one, I forgot which edition) and I watched the movie first, so I got a bit bored. But fortunately I'm pushing myself to start- and finish- it before April ends. I HAVE to start on Apr.1st because someone *coughpokenudge EraisuithielS* is reading it AGAIN and I haven't even read the whole thing.

I think slowly reading it again and no rushing can make you finish it. Reading suppose to be fun not a bloody painful process :) keep calm and try it again :) .

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 9:29 pm 

So there's actually countless books that I couldn't finish, but I'll name the ones I feel most bad about! :P

1. David Copperfield - It's supposed to be one of Dickens' best, but little Davey whined so much that I couldn't get past the first 100 pages.
2. Pride and Prejudice - I knew the story, so that somehow made it difficult for me to keep reading past the introduction. I might try and finish it someday. I might not.
3. The Silmarillion - I think I've read all of it at this point, but never cover-to-cover, despite having tried to many times. I just read my favourite parts over and over and skip the ones I don't care about quite so much. It's all about the Noldor, really. Men? What Men?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 10:52 pm 
Istari
Istari

Game of Thrones. But I'm going to try it again, since they are so popular. Perhaps I'll go to the library and check them out. I bought a sample for my Nook, and the sample has a few chapters but they dont go in order, which I think may have been the main reason why I didn't get into it, I couldn't understand what was going on! :lol: There were books I wish I wouldn't have finished, but had to for school, like "1984", and "Jubilee", and "Watership Down"...and anything Shakespeare.