Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: To The End [Private]
PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 8:38 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige shook her head slowly, knowing that her lack of information probably made her look totally useless. But apparently useless didn't mean dangerous, because she no longer had a gun pointed at her.

"All of the directions looked the same back there. My only idea is that she went to find this guy we met before. He had a motorbike. Leah wanted to go with him but I said we were better off alone. She probably went after him, and she'll probably end up killed trying to do so."

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 8:42 pm 
Vala
Vala

While painfully aware of how exposed they were Evan made a final decision; "We can't all help you look," she decided. "Someone has to stay here. With the truck."

Again, for what felt like the millionth time, her eyes met Rick's. He seemed so familiar to her now and she could read him so well, as if she'd met him years ago and not only mere hours earlier. Although she didn't want to see him leave, because if he could be trusted he was definitely a person she wanted to keep around, she also knew that she couldn't leave Lindsey behind. Not with someone she didn't trust.

"I'll go," Rick said, reading Evan's mind. "There's another gun underneath the driver's seat. You take it, and these," - he handed Evan the keys - "I'll be back before night falls. And if not, you should leave without us."

The keys felt cold and alien, and strangely heavy, in Evan's palm but she nodded, her brown hair bouncing as she did.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 8:46 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige stood up, her legs shaking as she did so and threatening to collapse underneath her. Swallowing, she shook her head at the two in front of her.

"Look, I appreciate the help but I mean you have a gun and for all I know you could be leading me into the forest to kill me. I know you're supposed to trust in the kindness of strangers but again, you guys have guns."

But Paige knew even as she was talking that not trusting them was stupid. If he wanted to shoot her he would have shot her already. But still the doubt remained.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 8:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan let out a huff of air in frustration. "Listen, you've really got two choices here and I don't care all that much either way. Either you let us help you look or we leave. When we do leave you can either come with us or you can stay here. It's up to you."

Her tone was sharp and her arms fell across her chest irritably. Rick only waited, gun in hand, brow furrowed. He didn't seem to share Evan's frustration but he also didn't fight it.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 8:54 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige couldn't help it, she let herself smirk at the tone the woman was using. She seemed like the kind of person Paige would have gotten on well with, before everything went crazy. Though the woman didn't seem to happy to have Paige interfering, but she could hardly blame her.

"Alright," she sighed, pushing her wet hair off her face. The heavy rain was now nothing more than a drizzle. "I suppose I could use your help, I'm not going to get far on my own. I don't know if it will do any good," she shrugged and swallowed her pride once again. "I appreciate the help though. And the offer to go with you."

Paige tried to imagine failing to find Leah and banding together with these new survivors. It scared her, but the luxury of being able to be in a car as well as having guns at her defence tempted her too.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 8:57 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Then it's decided," Evan concluded, wiping her face with a sore palm. "I'll tell Lindsey. Just..."

There was a pause in Rick's movements to leave the road behind and in Evan's to walk back to the truck.

"Do come back." The pleading tone in her voice disgusted Evan to her core, but she couldn't help it. For too long it had been her and Lindsey; she didn't want them to be on their own again. Not even with a car and supplies.

The shadow of a smile touched Rick's features for a second. "I'll try my hardest."

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 9:03 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige couldn't help but watch the two interact. She wondered how they knew each other, who they'd lost and how they'd come to get here. They obviously cared about each other, trusted each other too if he was willing to leave them with the car. She felt a pang of envy realizing that she'd trusted Leah and she'd ran off.

She took a deep breath, forcing her feelings of self-pity out of mind. Turning to the guy with the gun, she tried to look like she wasn't a totally pathetic human being.

"Are you ready? I don't think I'll be much use though," she held up her wounded hands, now red and crusted with dried blood. "I fell a few times. But I can still walk and search, just don't ask me to do any heavy lifting"

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 9:14 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan turned, leaving the pair, praying with all her might to whatever was up there that they wouldn't lose their new ally. The last people they'd come across had been worse than the creatures they were always running from, but this guy seemed not to be. He seemed to be trustworthy; and he had left Evan and Lindsey with the truck. He obviously trusted them too.

Sprinting slightly Evan dashed to the truck, knocking on the window with her knuckles, motioning for the girl to unlock the doors. Instead of getting into the back again she'd walked around the vehicle, and climbed into the driver's seat. If danger approached she would get them out of there within seconds.

"What's happening?" Lindsey asked the second Evan was out of the rain. "Who is that? Where are they going?"

Evan bent down, avoiding the wheel, and felt with her right hand under the seat until she found what she was looking for; the weapon felt cold in her hand.

"I don't know who she is, but he's going to try and help her find her friend. And that's all I know, kiddo." Evan put the keys in the ignition, ready to turn, and then she remained in silent together with Lindsey, watching Rick disappear from sight together with the stranger. "I don't know anything else at all."

Rick didn't hesitate when he watched the young woman leave; he had something to do and he would do it. Even before everything, before the end of the world, he'd been unable to abandon people who needed help. He'd come across Evan and Lindsey caught in a tree and he had helped them, offering them some of what little food and water he had left. And now he'd promised to help another stranger search for her friend. He knew that one day, sooner or later, his need for helping people would lash back at him violently and someone would lose their life over it. But not today, he refused to let it be today. The young girl in the truck reminded him of his son, with her enthusiasm and hope that couldn't be crushed. And Evan reminded him of his wife, too, in more ways than one. But why he was so fascinated with her wasn't because of her likeness to his late wife, but where she differed. Her spirit was everything Lori's had never been, for good and bad.

With one final glance towards the truck and the people concealed within he left the road behind, ready to aid another stranger in what seemed to be a hopeless task.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 9:24 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

They searched for as long as Paige's legs held out and even then she still wanted to keep going, but the man insisted they return. He seemed nice enough, but Paige still didn't trust him. The walk back to the truck was long and quiet, Paige was lost in the dissapointment of not finding Leah and she was grateful for the silence so she could keep her thoughts inside and not talking and ending up in tears.

She wanted to speak and thank him for helping her, thank him for not leaving her by the side of the road to die, thank him for not shooting her but somehow she couldn't get the words out. Thanking people and apoligizing to people were two of her least favourite things to do, and no amount of zombies seemed to change how stubborn she was. Shoving her hands into the pocket of her jeans and wincing a little at the pain, Paige wondered what it'd be like if she wasn't the way she was.

Dragging herself out her thoughts, she focused on the area around her as they approached the truck and she found herself wondering if the woman had meant what she'd said when she said Paige could come with them.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 9:42 pm 
Vala
Vala

When Evan saw them approach the vehicle her heart finally slowed down. It had been drumming against the inside of her ribcage harshly for hours, and she imagined they must be bruised by now. Without hesitation she told Lindsey to stay put and threw the door open, jumping out; her eagerness was confusing to her too, but perhaps it only stemmed from the need to cling to whatever good there was. And that included Rick now, because he had saved them, and although he'd had many chances to hurt them, he hadn't. When she didn't see the missing girl with them she knew instantly how it had gone, and yet she found herself in the chilly darkening air, her breath caught in her throat, and her chest aching horridly.

"What happened?" she asked, one hand moving her tangled hair out of her face.

Rick shrugged, the gun tightly tucked away into his belt. "Nothing. There was no sign of her." He came to a halt when he was only feet away from Evan. "Did anything happen here?"

"One of the creatures came walking up the road, but we stayed down and it moved past without spotting us." Her eyes moved from the man to the woman. Reality had caught up with her and she realized there was yet another decision in front of them, although this one was easier to make. "Are you coming with us?"

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 9:48 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige pondered the question of whether she was going to go with them. She knew that she didn't have any other better options, or any other options at all, but she still had that mistrust from her past life clinging to her.

"If you guys are willing to take me, I can hardly say no. But we don't exactly know each other, you know? Are you sure you want me tagging along?"

Paige knew she could easily be damning herself with her words but she couldn't help it.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 9:53 pm 
Vala
Vala

"There's not a lot that makes sense out here anymore," Evan began, "And I've met some really horrible people. That had abandon all sense of reason. I never want to be like them; they were savages. Hardly people at all anymore. So we can't just leave you out here." She bit her bottom lip and glanced towards Rick.

"She's right. We can't leave you here. We won't trust you for a while, but you can come with if you don't do anything stupid or put us at risk."

Evan was still amazed at the way he spoke and the way he acted; he seemed like the trio had been together for months, since day one, and had a tight-knit group that would easily die for any of the other members. Maybe he really was so lonely that he was slowly losing his sanity and he was clinging to Evan and Lindsey for that reason. After all, she was clinging to him because he made her feel safe, because he reminded her of someone in control, because he reminded her of someone who knew what to do and how to do it when she had no idea at all.

"So..." There was a pause. "I'm Evan," she finally said, nodding once, her hair dancing in the motion.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 11:23 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Hi, Evan. I'm Paige," she replied, breathing a sigh of relief that she hadn't had them laugh in her face and drive off. "And it's fine if you don't trust me, in this situation I'd have some doubts about your sanity if you did trust a complete stranger straight away."

She wanted to make a joke to crack the tension or just do something to prove her worth but her body and mind were simply to weary so she gave up trying, instead peering past Evan at the other, younger girl who she hadn't spoken to yet.

"Is that your sister?" She asked, looking back at Evan and glancing curiously at the male. Evan didn't look old enough to have a child, but maybe he did. She didn't want to make any assumptions, but she was curious about the three of them.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 11:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

"That's Lindsey," Evan said. "We came across each other, and now we're all we've got left. So yeah, I suppose in a sense we are sisters." A sad smile crept onto her features as Rick shifted next to her.

"We should get going, we can get to know each other while on the road. I'm sorry about your friend," he said, his voice sincere. Without waiting for a response he held a hand out towards Evan, motioning for her to hand him back the keys and she didn't hesitate.

"I'm glad you didn't die," she said genuinely, letting her lips twitch into the smallest of smiles before heading back to the truck. Although she wanted to sit in the front to keep an eye on the road she opted for joining Lindsey in the back again. She didn't trust the new girl enough to take her eyes off of her, and if she was in the front seat she wouldn't have her in her line of vision at all times.

Rick offered Paige a smile before he also returned to the vehicle, opening the door on the driver's side and then getting in.

"What's going on?" Lindsey asked, curiously, her face scrunched into a frown.

"We're taking her with," Evan replied, buckling in.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 11:54 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige got into the passenger side front seat, still surprised that they'd let her come with them. She had a feeling that she still had to win over the trust of them all, especially since they had the young Lindsey to look after. Although she'd never admit it, Paige admired them for taking on the responsibility of the younger girl. Not a lot of people would do that, especially since it was hard enough looking after yourself and staying alive. She imagined that Evan must be a pretty strong person and part of her wanted to make conversation with them but she couldn't bring herself to, sure she'd bother or annoy them.

As she settled into a comfortable position in the seat, leaning her head against the window, Paige wondered if Leah was safe or if she'd met up with Shaun or if she was already dead. Her face turned away from the others she let herself close her eyes and fill up with tears. Yet again she'd lost somebody else.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:03 am 
Vala
Vala

There was a silence pressing down on them as their journey continued, and Evan suddenly felt how tired she was. How exhausted she was, down to her bones. She'd tried so hard to keep Lindsey safe, and to keep them alive, and to make the right decisions, that she'd worn herself down completely. With this wave of emotions crashing down on her she had to rest her head against the window as the scenery flew past and darkness came nearer. Her body ached, each limb more sore than the last. She flexed her fingers and had to bite back a hiss; when had she broken down so completely?

"I'm Lindsey," the girl beside Evan suddenly piped up, clearly agitated that she'd been kept so out of the loop, simply by remaining in the truck while the others conversed. "Who are you?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next