Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: To The End [Private]
PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:10 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige was startled by the voice piping up from the back and she turned around in her seat to look at Lindsay. She seemed nice, though much of the innocence must have long since left her considering the situation. She had made conversation though, so Paige decided the polite thing to be would be to try and be social. It might make the situation a little more bareable for all of them.

"It's nice to meet you, Lindsey," she said, trying not to sound totally miserable. "My name's Paige and I'm really glad you guys drove past me. It's been so long since I've sat down without worrying about something sneaking up on me."

Last edited by motorkitty on May 16th, 2013, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:13 am 
Vala
Vala

"I know what you mean," Lindsey said, her voice now a bit more animated. Evan listened half-heartedly, her mind still treading dangerous waters. "We thought we were done for, earlier today, when Rick found us at the top of a tree with a bunch of those things underneath. I'm really glad he found us."

"Same, kiddo," Rick shot in and Evan's eyebrows shot up at the use of the nickname she often used when talking to Lindsey. Her sadness seemed to lift, then, somehow.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:19 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige was surprised by Lindsey's revelation. She was sure that the three had known each other much longer than today, but she was wrong. She felt her spirits brighten a bit as she wondered if maybe she'd fit in a bit easier than she thought.

"It's pretty amazing that you've survived this long," Paige said honestly. "You must be a pretty strong girl."

She looked over to Evan after she said that. She was pretty sure the older woman was fairly protective over Lindsey and she couldn't blame her. The two of them were close and Paige felt a pang of envy yet again but forced it out of her mind.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:23 am 
Vala
Vala

"I don't know," Lindsey pondered out loud. "I think I've been lucky a lot. I was with my parents when... when it happened. Evan found me two days later, hiding under a car, and she brought me with her. She's been keeping me safe ever since." The gratitude that radiated off of the girl was unmistakable and Evan felt her heart swirl in her chest.

"Everything for you, kiddo," she said, a genuine smile in her voice as she re-used the nickname Rick had uttered only moments earlier. "She didn't want to come out from under that car, but I grabbed her and just dragged her along."

The memories were painful and yet not, at the same time. They reminded Evan of a time when she and Lindsey had both lost everyone they loved, but it also reminded her of how the two had come together and how far they'd come since. They were still alive, after all.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:28 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"It's luck you guys found each other then," Paige smiled at the two. "Me and Leah found each other back then too, and we only had each other so I guess you can understand why I was desperate to find her..."

Biting her lip, she tried to force the bad thoughts out of head and try and focus on getting to now her new companions. There wasn't much else to do.

"So, are we driving anywhere in particular?" Paige asked, realising she had no idea where she was going.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:34 am 
Vala
Vala

"North," was all Rick said, taking his eyes off the road momentarily.

Evan wanted to add something, but Lindsey beat her to it. "Evan and I were heading for Wales, my grandparents have a cottage there, but that's probably gone now so..."

Again, a heavy grief settled in Evan's chest. She hated the way her feelings kept swinging from one end of the rope to the other, never giving her rest. She needed rest. Craved it. Her body ached so much she thought she might cry. All she wanted was one good night's sleep. Just some rest, to refuel.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:39 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"So if Wales is lost, here is no good what makes you think that North will be any better?" Paige switched he look from Lindsey to Rick.

He seemed to know what he was doing and she knew that since he rescued her that she really had no right questioning him but she couldn't help herself. She had always been the kind of girl to say the wrong thing at the wrong time- that was why people didn't like her.

"I mean, not that I'm doubting you or anything, I'm just curious," she added, not wanting anybody to kick her out of the car for getting on their nerves.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:49 am 
Vala
Vala

Although what Paige had said made sense, their aim continued to be North for the following week. It shouldn't have taken them so long, but things got intense when they ran out of gas and Rick had to venture out to find some more, Evan tagging along, now trusting Paige enough to leave Lindsey with her. The tension peaked when one of the undead came inches from sinking its teeth into Rick's unaware arm and Evan barely managed to first grab its tattered clothing, tugging it back sharply, and then sinking her axe deep into its skull. That moment seemed to bond the two more, because then they were even. Evan and Lindsey no longer owed Rick anything, for saving their lives, and yet they chose - or Evan, rather - to stay by his side. Not out of gratitude, but because of trust, respect and a common goal; to stay alive.

Although they'd barely made it out of that moment alive they had made it back to the truck with more gas, as well as a few cans of food that they might need. After making a silent agreement neither Rick nor Evan told the other two how close they'd come to losing one of their own; it wasn't knowledge they needed.

Finally, they'd crossed the boarder into Scotland, although the more North they got the more aimlessly they seemed to stray. There was nothing that said they'd be safer there than anywhere else, and they didn't have anywhere to stay, live, eat, sleep, rest. For the past week they'd taken shifts driving, so that they all could rest, Lindsey being the only one never even asked to take the wheel for obvious reasons. They didn't dare stop for longer than they had to, when nature called, and Evan had a hard time picturing them ever being able to.

When the seventh day of their new group's journey dawned, Evan felt her eyelids heavy with sleep where she sat at the wheel, hands holding on tightly and her full attention on the road ahead. Lindsey and Rick were both asleep in the back, half-way leaning towards each other. There was a reason why Evan's fingers clutched the wheel so tightly her hands ached - she didn't have her licence. It didn't matter much, legally, but she'd only ever had five driving lessons before and they hadn't gone well. This was information she'd declined to share with the others however because she was needed as a driver. She was needed to take part in the responsibility of finding their way to... somewhere.

A deep sigh fell from Evan's lips as the sun kissed the pavement ahead, too many emotions swirling in her head for her to be able to make sense of any of them.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:59 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The days driving in the car were a blessing to Paige, even when she had to take the wheel- something she'd hated doing back in her old life. It gave the wounds on her hands and feet a chance to heal and the worst of her stiffness slowly faded from her muscles and the exhaustion no longer felt like it was going to constantly overwhelm her. And as strange as it seemed, Paige was enjoying the company. Naturally she was still wary but she'd warmed to Lindsey with the time they'd spent together chatting. She'd had a chance to ask her about her home life and she'd told her own story about the dance studio. She'd been tempted to teach her a few self-defence moves but she decided that it was Evan's place, not hers. Paige had a lot of respect for Evan, who seemed like somebody who you could rely on but she didn't have much to go on yet.

When they were driving along in the sunshine she glanced at Evan, who was driving. She considered letting her focus on the driving, but since the other two were asleep she decided there was no harm in making conversation.

"Evan," she began tentatively. "I've been wondering, what happens when we can't go any further North? Will we make camp or find some way to cross the Ocean?"

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 1:02 am 
Vala
Vala

Evan sighed again, her gaze flickering from the road only for a second. "I wish I knew. I guess the plan is to find somewhere safe to hold up. Heading North was... I don't know. It was a goal to have, something to strive for. Something to work towards. We didn't plan it any closer than that because we had no idea what we'd come across."

The despair reeked with every word that fell from her mouth but she couldn't help it. Over the past week they'd driven past more than enough zombies - undead, whatever - and it felt like there would never be anywhere even remotely safe for them to hold up. But what else could they do?

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 1:07 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Well," Paige said slowly. "I had an Aunt who lived in Scotland. The further North you go, the colder it's going to get. Maybe in a colder place there might be less of those... things. Or we could take a boat and sail somewhere, anywhere."

It caused a pang in her chest to be planning this, as if she'd totally given up on finding her friend. She regretted all those times she'd thought of going off alone thought she now realised Leah must have had the same thoughts seeing as she really had gone off alone. But at least Paige wasn't totally alone, she had the three others now.

"I guess we just need to take it as it comes," she said with a sigh, staring out the window to watch them drive by the shambling figures in the not too far distance.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 1:12 am 
Vala
Vala

"You've got that right," Evan mumbled. "Well, your idea is as good as any. Let's just try to find somewhere safe to hold up. At least for when winter hits. I don't want to be stuck in a car then."

As she spoke, she heard noises from the backseat and her eyes flickered to the rearview mirror and in it she saw Rick yawning and stretching, the stubble on his face getting more and more out of control with each day that passed. Evan sometimes had to reprimand herself for staring, because in spite of where they were and who they were and what was going on - he was hot. Like, really hot. Not in a way that she'd act on it, because God knew their existence was too complicated already, but in a way that he was pleasant to look at and sometimes she liked to do just that. Stare at him, for no other reason than that he was attractive. It did bring a smile to her face when she thought of it, and that made it all the more fun. Because it was so absolutely ridiculous.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:22 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"In the kind of Winter we'll get here, even a car is better than nothing," Paige remembered when she'd visited her Aunt for Christmas as a child. The weather went between fierce blizzards and pouring rain all coupled with a wind that could knock you off your feet. She shivered just thinking about it, rubbing her hands up and down her arms where goosebumps had appeared. Thinking about the future scared her, unsure of what would happen to them.

Hearing Rick stir in the back seat, she turned to look out the window, still shy and unsure of what to say or what her place in the group was.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:26 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Morning," Rick mumbled, shifting in his seat, his motions causing Lindsey to stir but not wake.

"Morning," Evan replied, eyes still peering ahead. "We're approaching the end of the road, we should probably decide on what to do."

When she dared herself to use the mirror to glance into the backseat she saw Rick rubbing the sleep out of his eyes with the back of his hand. "You're right. I guess the only thing that makes sense is finding a house somewhere."

Evan nodded but didn't reply. Hunger was clawing at her, but she pressed it down; they were running low on supplies, they weren't allowed to eat just because they were hungry.

"Where did your aunt live?" Evan asked Paige then, shifting her attention. "It's as good a place as any to head."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:37 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige turned back from the window, almost surprised to be included and turned to face Evan, then glance out at the surrounding area.

"Well, I'm not 100% sure where we are but I remember my Aunt stayed in a town called Stonehaven near Aberdeen. It's pretty small but there was a country road that lead to it with plenty signs so I guess we could find the way easy enough."

Paige thought about her Aunt's house which had a huge back-garden, and how she worked in the Post Office at the corner and used to slip the kids free sweets when they came to visit her and let them play in the park near the river until dark and she called them all for dinner. Paige had only been about ten or eleven back then and it was before she'd become what her mother called a 'problem child'.

"If we head East and get near the Sea, we should be able to find our way from there."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 12:44 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Sounds good enough," Evan concluded.

The ride continued in silence because no one seemed to know what else to say. It was Lindsey who was the talker among them, the one who was able to chatter on about anything and nothing, seemingly unaware of the situation outside. Evan knew that wasn't true though, she knew Lindsey was completely aware, but she chose not to focus on it and that was something Evan admired in the girl.

Suddenly Evan's eyes shot to the dashboard and her heart sank. "Well, we're running low on gas again..."

Rick groaned in the backseat. "I guess drive for as long as you can, head in to any town or towards a house if you see any."

"You and I heading out again?" she asked, half-way grinning at the memory of what had happened the last time.

He rolled his eyes. "I could go alone, you could stay by the truck."

"Yeah, because that would have worked out so well the last time," she said, now smirking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next