Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lembas Bread Recipe!!!
PostPosted: September 4th, 2016, 4:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Haha, that sounds like Golum's response to eating it in the movie would have been quite appropriate then! LOL

And here my wife is making bread or tortillas in the orher room as I type... I should give her a recepie to try. Lol

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: September 4th, 2016, 5:32 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I had an excellent Lembas recipe that I used to use years ago...I'd bring it to school with my lunch. :p Shame I haven't made it in years, otherwise I might have still had the recipe...it was definitely different from the ones already posted in this thread though. They were like slightly tastier and thinner tea biscuits.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 4th, 2016, 7:19 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Huh, sounds nice... Wish you still had them. I coppied three recepies for us to try. If we get arpund tonit I'll have to post and let ya'll know how they turned out.

Random question but.... What exactily qualifies a recepie as a "Lembes" recepie? Is there a certain consistency to the bread, a certain ingredient? Anything, or just because people said so... ? Lol

PostPosted: September 5th, 2016, 5:57 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I came across this particular recipe for lembas, and bookmarked the page, mainly because of the picture. LOL I have not tried the recipe so I don't actually know how it tastes.

Ingredients

1 cup butter
½ cup brown sugar or ¼ cup honey
2 cups unbleached flour

Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream together the butter and sugar or honey. Add the flour and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Put out on suitable surface and knead until quite smooth, about 5 minutes, adding a bit of flour if necessary to keep dough from sticking.
Roll out to about ¼ inch thickness and cut into 3" to 4" squares, scoring with a knife halfway through each square with a butter knife. Place on buttered cookie sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2016, 6:03 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

That one seems pretty simple. I need tontry one of these... But yeah, love the picture! Haha. Just needs some giant leaves to wrap it in.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 11:44 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hello everyone! I come bearing a Lembas bread recipe that has become a favorite of my family. I joined a good while ago and was intending on sharing it then, but then life intervened and I never got around to posting it... shame on me. :-(

12 tablespoons butter, slightly softened
4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1 cup raisins (optional)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream

With a pastry blender or fork, cut butter into the flour in a large mixing bowl until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Do this rapidly so the butter does not melt. Add the sugar and, if desired, raisins. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, and heavy cream together until mixed. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture to brush the tops of the Lembas. Add the mixture to the flour and mix just until combined into a stiff, soft dough. Knead three or four times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 3/4" thickness and cut with a cookie cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving 1" of space between Lembas. Brush the tops of the Lembas with the reserved egg, milk, and cream mixture. Bake for 12-13 minutes in a preheated 400° oven.
For safe keeping, wrap each Lembas individually in a fresh, clean Mallorn leaf. If these leaves are unavailable in your area, store the Lembas in a tightly closed container. Makes about 2 dozen Lembas, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.

It's not exactly an "authentic" Lembas bread recipe - I doubt the elves put raisins in it ( :lol: ), and it is thicker and tenderer than the description in the book, but it is an incredibly delicious breakfast bread or snack. We smuggled it into the theater to munch on while watching the Hobbit movies :-D

Jax Nova, in answer to your question - it's been a while since I've read the books, but I just looked it up, and in TFotR it's described as "...very thin cakes, made of a meal that was baked a light brown on the outside, and inside was the color of cream." I don't know if Tolkien ever says what the ingredients are, but I would guess that if a recipe meets those qualifications, it could be considered authentic!

Evil.Shieldmaiden, your recipe seems more true to the book. I will have to give it a try!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 12:40 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I apologize for the double post, but I just remembered that a picture would be helpful. Sorry it's so tiny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 11:11 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hey Gwirithiel!! Great to see ypu on the forum and awesome recepie. Thanks so much for looking that up for me, too. I've always wondered ablut that... Like how you can determine whether any given recepie actually qualifies as Lembes.

It says made from meal? That would gove me the idea that it would be less refined than pur modern day store bought flour. Meal is a more coursy ground or whole grain product according to my understanding.

Either way, it's neat to see all these recepies!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2016, 11:01 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Thanks, Jax Nova! :) And no problem at all - I've often wondered about it, too, but kept forgetting to look it up. :p

Yes, you're right about the meal! My mom and I have actually been grinding our own flour and making bread from it for years, and whenever I make Lembas bread, I usually use a combination of hard white wheat and barley. The elves sure knew what was good for you - whole wheat would give you much longer-lasting energy for a quest than refined flour would! :-D

PostPosted: September 11th, 2016, 12:21 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Really? That's awesome! I grew up grinding wheat by hand and have really wanted to get back into it. My wife isn't to keen on the idea, though and after work I really am not too keen on it anymore either... :P

The home made bread from home ground wheat definitely has a difference to it that is hard to explain. It can be really... unappealing if done wrong but when someone knows what they are doing it makes the BEST bread ever. I would reckon that what you guys do would probably be closer to Lembas than most recipes in that case. And yes, definitely much better for you and more nutritional!

PostPosted: September 13th, 2016, 8:21 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

So nice to meet another fan of bread from home ground wheat! :) Haha, yeah, it does demand a good amount of time and effort, though. We actually use an attachment to our KitchenAid stand mixer that grinds the wheat for us, as well as an automatic kneader machine - it makes it so much easier! A bread machine would save even more time, though. If you're interested, I could send you a link to the company we order our grain from in a PM... they have all sorts of information on bread making, as well as equipment and supplies.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2016, 10:39 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Sure! I've looked at several places for grain and I found a place I thought was decent but I can't remember what it was called now. I'd have to look it up again.

Haha I see! That would make it a ton easier! I grew up grinding it by hand with a hand grinder. That takes a while. lol

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 7:46 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I found this Lembas recipe posted on an old thread by HirilAlatariel about 10 or so years ago. I may just give this one a go!

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups of flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 Tablespoons cold butter (1 stick)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2/3 cup of heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon Maple Syrup (the real stuff)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Honey

Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture looks like fine granules. Add sugar and cinnamon and mix. Add cream,vanilla, maple syrup, and honey, and stir with a fork until the dough forms. (rif it gets too hard to stir add more cream.)

Roll into balls and place on cookie sheet, mashing them out until they are about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches across. Makes about 12 - 14. Bake for about 12 minutes or until insides aren't gooey. (I would suggest making them small, for if they are too big, they will fall apart very easily.)

This is a great recipe if you do everything right, and it really does fill you up fast.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 1:51 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Let us know how it tastes. :-D

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 5:35 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I will! I hope it won't taste like cardboard and sand like so many "Lembas" recipes do. They are usually recipes for cram.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW