Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Strider!
PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 5:55 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I agree, Hanasian. Aragorn doesn't lose anything during the course of the trilogy. Rather I think he gains a lot of things in his character. When he transitions from one rple to another (e.g. Strider the ranger and protector of Eriador to Aragorn son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor) he still has the former aspect of his character, but it is being applied in a new way and it appears differently as he adapts to his situation.

I do think Strider is my favorite Aragorn though. He is rough and worn from much travel, but he has this air and stateliness about him that suggests something more. He is scorned to some extent by the people he protects, but he would rather have them retain their simplicity than protect his own honor. I love that humility he has in forgoing his own interests for the sake of others. I also love how he knows exactly what he's doing. The hobbits can trust him completely with everything and have no worries. I want an Aragorn in my life!

PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 8:39 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Héalic wrote:
I do think Strider is my favorite Aragorn though. He is rough and worn from much travel, but he has this air and stateliness about him that suggests something more. He is scorned to some extent by the people he protects, but he would rather have them retain their simplicity than protect his own honor. I love that humility he has in forgoing his own interests for the sake of others. I also love how he knows exactly what he's doing. The hobbits can trust him completely with everything and have no worries. I want an Aragorn in my life!

Yes, 'Strider' was an excellently developed character! It is this part of him that led to my fascination with the Dunedain Rangers after my first reading. That led to my fascination with the history of Arnor and all its sadness. I guess that is why my namesake character 'Hanasian' started his RP life as 'Ranger #26' in a tale I wrote about Halbarad many many years ago. Always been fascinated by Strider, and Halbarad who was de-facto Captain while Aragorn was off serving in Rohan and Gondor and wandering the wild.

May you find Aragorn someday Héalic, or he finds you!

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 3:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

To be a bit contrary (some may find my views to be so ... whatever ... :whistle: ), Aragorn is very eminent among the vastly expanded supporting cast added around the central theme of three Hobbits - Frodo, Sam and Sméagol-Gollum - deep-sixing the extremely peripheral main baddie. In a fundamental way, LoTR very much is the "New Hobbit". :yes: Aragorn is the Bard of LoTR, Gandalf is in both stories (the only character to be very central to both), the Maia baddie has different aliases but is very peripheral in both.

Of course Aragorn's heritage goes vastly deeper back into time than Bard's does ... well, recorded time, at least. Bard might be a descendant of one of those clans of the Three Houses of the Elf-friends who never crossed into Beleriand to get mixed-up (and messed-up) in the wars of the Silmarillion. :yeahright:

But looking at his ancestry: Aragorn is descended from Elros in the 64th generation, so Elrond is his uncle at the same remove. Elrond and Elros are descended on their human lineage from Beren and Tuor, with all of their back ancestry. From Lúthien, and thus Elwë (Thingol) and Melian the Maia. From Idril, thus Turgon, thus Fingolfin, thus Finwë and Indis of the Vanyar royal house. :juggle:

Then add Arwen, daughter of Elrond (and thus Aragorn's cousin by the remove of 63 generations!), thus having the same descent as Aragorn on her Father's side, is granddaughter of Galadriel, daughter of Finarfin, Fingolfin's younger brother, and Eärwen, daughter of Olwë, Thingol's brother. A somewhat apocryphal lineage makes Celeborn, Galadriel's husband, descended from a third brother to Elwë and Olwë. :confused2:

So Aragorn and Arwen's son Eldarion is related to more royal lineages in Middle-earth than Queen Victoria was, even including three generations up and down! :blink:

(If anyone doubts residual Hobbit ancestry in my lineage should just consider if you would spend so much time on convoluted lineages, even if you have three books to help you with them.) :laugh:

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 7:59 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Héalic wrote:
I agree, Hanasian. Aragorn doesn't lose anything during the course of the trilogy. Rather I think he gains a lot of things in his character. When he transitions from one rple to another (e.g. Strider the ranger and protector of Eriador to Aragorn son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor) he still has the former aspect of his character, but it is being applied in a new way and it appears differently as he adapts to his situation.

Yes, I agree! The rough ranger vs the High King! I think Aragorn's journey from the time he left Rivendell after his 'chat' with Elrond was a vital part of his character building to prepare him for the kingship though. And that journey was topped off by the battle through the Palantir that Aragorn had with Sauron. I think it was then he changed internally and "became" the king.

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW