Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the Three
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 11:35 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama was not clothed and he had no weapons with him. The sound faded away and Dunhama helped Ayhilda out of the waters. He was distracted for a bit as her wet dress clung to her as the water ran from it. He lifted himself up and reached for his wear he was given after training.

"Sorry my love...I'm..."

As Athilda blushed, so did Dunhama. IOnce he was set, they quickly moved back to the track, where they paused when they heard somebody coming back up from the depths of the caves. It was a Rohirrim guard. The guard said as he approached,

"Are you lost?"

Dunhama looked at the eyes of the guard but the dim light made it hard. He he didn't have a very good feeling about him, but he nodded,

'No, I was... relaxing, and m'lady joined me."

"I see that."

His voice seemed familiar. Athilda strained to listen but the echo seemed to throw their hearing. The guard said,

"You two enjoy yourselves."

and he walked on by toward the arch. Dunhama looked at Athilda and she studied the man as he walked out of sight.

"Something is not right..."

Dunhama whispered. It was then a groan was heard from deep in the cave. Dunhama and Athilda looked at heach other, They had to go see who was in the cave. They hurried down into the depths along the track, and they found the young Rohirrim guard laying on his stomach face down bleeding and only in his under tunic.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 9:28 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda pushed herself up onto the cavern floor with the help of Dunhama, and as she waited for him to lift himself up, she wrung out her dress. Her eyes widened and her cheeks reddened to a deep shade scarlet as Dunhama pushed himself up out of the water, but she quickly averted her gaze.
After a moment, she followed Dunhama back to the main path when she saw a guard approach them. He appeared to be one of the guards of the King, but something about him was different and out of place. The exchange between Dunhama and the guard ended as quickly as it had begun, but she agreed with Dunhama that something was not right.
She studied the guard as he walked out of the cave, and as soon as she heard the pained groan from the depths of the cave, she knew who it had been. She quickly gathered her skirts and ran down the path until they came upon a young man lying face down in an ever growing pool of blood. Her hands shook as she knelt down and rested her hands gently on the mans' back and shoulder.
"Shh...it's all right, sire. I am a healer. I will help you."
Although she spoke in a calm voice, her eyes and mind were frantic. She glanced up at Dunhama and spoke in a quiet voice.
"Dunhama, I...I do not have all of my supplies and he cannot be moved, otherwise he will surely die. Will you go and seek out another healer for me? I will stay with him and do my best to stop the bleeding."
She nodded as Dunhama responded, and when he left, she quickly tore off a piece of her dress and pressed it against this mans' wound.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 7:28 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama nodded as Athilda looked at the man. He was bleeding badly from what looked like a knife wound. He gave her shoulder a gentle rub before turning and running back toward the archway.

When he emerged into the light, he blinked and looked around. A few of the wounded Rohirrim soldiers and civilians were there having their bandages replaced and the progress of their wounds checked. He saw the young woman who they had helped there getting her ankle looked at by a woman healer in a deep blue sable robe. The girl’s little brother was there practicing his march. Dunhama thought as he approached that he had good footwork for a ten-year-old. When the boy looked up and saw Dunhama, he proclaimed loudly,

”It’s Dunhama! Dunhama of the Deeping Breach!”

Dunhama blushed at the words as the others there all looked, all except for the.healer. Dunhama put his hand up and said as he knelt down by the healer and the girl.

”M’Lady… I have urgent need for you….”

The healer ignored Dunhama and he realized she was deep in thought as she worked on the girl’s ankle. The woman had her eyes closed and turned her hands about the ankle and said some words in a foreign language. It was the same language he heard the Dunedain using between them in the battle. This healer was not from Rohirrim. Dunhama looked around for another as time was not something the young soldier had. He swallowed as he was about to ask the healer again when the healer shook while saying words, and he thought he could see a faint golden glow under her hands on the girls ankle. The girl had her eyes closed and appeared as if in a dream state. Dunhama knew something was happening here but it was beyond his comprehension. Her hands released the ankle and the glow faded. The healer pushed back her hood and said in a soft voice to the girl as she opened her eyes.

”You will walk again, but you will always favour this leg.”

She said to the girl. The girl smiled shyly as she turned her eyes from the healer to Dunhama. Dunhama gave her a smile before turning to the exotic healer woman and said,

”M’lady, there is urgent need for you in the caves! A soldier has been seriously injured! My wife..… um.."

Dunhama flushed at his words, but quickly recovered and said,

"Lady Athilda is there with him but she has naught with her. Can you come? We need to hurry”

The woman stood as did Dunhama. She gathered her satchel and put it over her shoulder, and Dunhama lead her to the archway. He grabbed a torch because the one Athilda had brought was nearly spent when he had left her.

When they arrived, Athilda was sitting by him with her hand holding a part of her dress to his neck. He hand and arm was stained crimson as she tried to keep life in him. The woman healer quickly knelt by him and put her hand on Athilda’s and started to speak Sindarin…

(Pardon my addition of an Elvish healer to the tale. Maybe it was Arwen who rode down with her brothers but appeared as another Ranger? That sort of complicates things too much. Maybe Elladan's wife? Anyway, hope it isn’t too far out there.)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 9:05 pm 
Ent
Ent

(Oh no worries! I actually like the addition of the 'exotic' healer. :) )

Once Dunhama left her, Athilda gently turned the young solider onto his side and pressed more of her skirt on his wound in an attempt to stop the flow of blood. Minutes passed by slowly as she waited for Dunhama to return, so without knowing what else to do, she prayed that this young soldier would make it.
Relief washed over her as she felt the hand of a healer gently rest over hers, but as the woman began to speak in a language unknown to her, she glanced up at her in awe.
Athilda looked back at her hand in shock as she noticed the soft gold glow that emenated from beneath them. After a few moments of this strange glow, Athilda watched as the young man began to heal right before her eyes. It was astounding!
Not long after, the woman's voice and the glowing light faded, and the man opened his eyes and smiled.
"Thank you, healers."
His voice cracked as he spoke.
Athilda let out a breath and rested a hand gently on the mans' arm as if to reassure him, but as she studied this young mans' face, all her thoughts led her to Dunhamas' uncle. Her face hardened as she thought of what he had done. How dare he! He was being taken care for, and this is how he repaid them, by mortally wounding a young solider. Athilda retracted her hand then glanced up at Dunhama.
"I believe I know who did this."

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 11:03 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(I will make her Elladan's wife. Maybe you and I can co-write her character?)

Dunhama looked grim and was going to ask her, but the soldier said,

”It was Wulgov the Dunlanding. He took my uniform and armor… Erkenbrand trusted me to watch him when he gave him limited leave. I… I was amazed at these caves that I failed.”

… he grimaced as his neck seeped a little blood. The healer had retreated to the cave wall and sat with her back to the rocks in a trance. She had obviously used a lot of her energy to perform the healings she had done. The more critical took much more out f her.

Dunhama asked Athilda as she tended the soldier,

”Is this who you think it was? He is the one from in the courtyard, and saw him in Erkenbrand’s office with this man. He is obviously trying to escape.”

Dunhama stood and was seething. Athilda was right. Why would he do this after the care he has gotten?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 11:05 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(In the Keep)

Wulgov had made it to the door of the keep that led out to the Deeping Coomb. There he ran into an old one-eyed soldier who said to him after eyeing him,

”Beregil, you hurt?”

He noted the rank on the uniform and the personal crest, but the helm was pushed down low. Ergon saw that he was limping. Wulgov looked at the man and knew he had to do something quick. He couldn’t say anything as this man knows the guard. He nodded as he started down the stair. He was near the bottom when he heard the Ergon say,

”Wait, you’re not Beregil…”

Wulgov turned as Ergon reached for him and they grappled and fell together the last few stairs to the rubble below. Wulgov hit his leg right where his bandage was at and he started to bleed as he yelled in pain. Ergon had managed to turn Wulgov to take the brunt of the fall, and the old soldier was atop him with a knife to his throat as he ripped off the helm.

”I thought it was you, Dunlander! This is the last you will ever do against…”

“ERGON!”

Shouted Erkenbrand as six soldiers raced down the stair. They paused as Ergon had no intention of letting him live. The lead guard said,

”Don’t do it Ergon! They will imprison you! You will be in the dungeon of Aldberg for your remaining days. You will climb the walls from its closeness! Don’t do it!”

Ergon stared into Wulgov’s eyes and as he let go of him, he swiftly flicked his knife and a line of blood started to form on his cheek. The guards took hold of Wulgov and Erkenbrand said,

"Get him out of Beregil's uniform!"

The Rohirrim stripped Wulgov in a not very gently way, and he was left standing in his tattered undergarments. Erkenbrand considered taking him to the Dunlanding prison camp and releasing him inside.

Last edited by Hanasian on March 25th, 2017, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 8:27 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda looked down at the young man as he spoke and shook her head as he spoke of the fault being his. She then quickly picked up a clean piece of her dress and gently wiped away the blood that seeped from his neck.
"The fault is not yours, sir. This...Wuglov is deceptive and is cunning with his words. He probably led you in here as bait."
Athilda closed her eyes as her feelings for that man were overrun by anger.
"I only wish that we had come to you sooner, sir."
As she spoke, she tore off a strip of her dress and wrapped it around the young guards' neck. Once she tied it in place, she looked back at the other woman, who seemed to be resting from her work.
Athilda looked back into Dunhamas' eyes as he asked her for validation, and she nodded.
"Aye, it was him. I saw him limping away as before we ran to help this man."

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 9:11 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

As Kano road about he saw some soldiers heading towards the caves, out of curiosity he followed to see what the commotion was about. Being on his horse he could not go inside the confines but he heard many voices, some which seemed none too happy.

"Excuse me, sir," he asked a nearby man. "Would you mind telling me? What is going on in there?"

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 9:25 am 
Ent
Ent

"I'm not sure, son." The man looked up at Kano with uncertainty in his voice.
"All I know is that one of the exotic healers was sent for after a man with a limp came out of the cave."
The man sniffed and was about to lie back down on his bedroll, when the four original people came walking out of the cave. He stood up on request of one of the healers and made way for the young soldier to sit down.
"What happened to him?"
The man asked the friends.
Athilda smiled as she saw Kano sitting on his horse and once she helped the young soldier sit, she explained everything to the man, but mainly to her friend.
"Wuglov must be brought to justice, for I cannot believe that an honorable man would kill or order to kill just to escape."

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 9:38 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

It was then someone came running from down the hall saying,

"They caught him! The Dunlanding! They caught him trying to escape!"

Dunhama stopped him and asked,

"Where?"

"Outside the keep. near where the wall was broken. He is being taken to the Dunlanding camp!"

Dunhama looked at Athilda before looking down the hall then back to her. He said,

"He will surely die there. Is this the man you wanted to help Athilda? Why?."

He looked deeply in her eyes as his eyes asked the same question.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 11:27 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda glanced over as a man ran towards them shouting the good news. She let out a relieved sigh, but furrowed her brows in slight guilt as the man and Dunhama spoke of what his fate would be.
Dunhama stared deep into her eyes, and she felt a blush rise to her cheeks, then glanced down at the ground beneath him in embarrasment.
"I wished to help him because....well....I felt compassion for him..."
As she spoke, she fidgeted with her fingers, then looked up at Dunhama.
"He looked so helpless and...lost....as if he had no purpose and didn't know where to go."
She let out a heavy breath as she shook her head.
"But now I realize that I should have been more guarded with him."
As she spoke, she looked into Dunhamas' eyes with regret and guilt.
"Although we all want justice for what was done, I do not think it is right to send him to the prison camp to be slaughtered."
Athilda looked at the young guard then started walking out of the room and down the hall towards the Deeping Comb.
"We have to hurry!"

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 6:27 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama nodded when he heard Athilda speak of justice… somehow he felt she wasn’t telling him everything she knew about this Dunlanding. But her compassion for those less fortunate is one of the many things he loved about her, and if she felt a need to help this Dunlanding, he would too. He followed close behind her as she left the room.

When they got through the door to the wall, They found Erkenbrand standing there. A soldier held Beregil’s uniflrm, all neatly folded. Dunhama asked,

”Sir, is the Dunlanding here?”

Erkenbrand looked at Dunhama and said,

”Ah, Dunhama of the Breach. Why do you ask of the Dunlanding?”

Athilda stepped forth and stood by Dunhama and said,

”He is wounded, and you assigned him into my care. Had he stayed resting, none of this woud have happened…”

Dunhama put his hand on Athilda’s shoulder and she turned her head. Their eyes met and Dunhama eased her a bit. He turned to Erkenbrand and was going to speak but Erkenbrand addressed Athilda before he could. He said,

”Ah, yes. I suppose had you stayed with him, he would have rested, and none of this would have happened. What happened to you anyway? Bloodstained and a shredded dress…”

“Sir…”

Dunhama interrupted,

”It is not Lady Athilda’s fault. She saved your guard Beregil’s life with the assistance of another healer. I ask of the Dunlanding because I have fought him in battle, and I deserve to talk to him. Where is he”

Erkenbrand sighed and smiled slightly. He said,

”Very well, he is right now being placed in the Dunlanding camp over there.”

He pointed out to where the causeway ended and the track wound around some stones.

”Go try and see him if you wish, but be careful. Even though the troublemakers have been… removed, there still could be others. Now, where is Beregil?”

“Back in the inner chamber where the archway to the caves are.”

Dunhama said. Erkenbrand nodded and he and the guard with Beregil’s uniform turned and went into the keep. Athilda and Dunhama stood there looking over to where the Dunlandings were.

“Shall we go there?”

Dunhama asked Athilda. She seemed deep in thought and didn’t answer right away.

~ ~ ~

Wulgov was brought to the gate and shoved inside the Dunlanding prison camp. He stood and looked around. Nobody recognized him yet, or if they did, they took no notice. He reached ove and pulled off a branch that was part of the barrier and he sat down with his back to the fence near the gate. It would only be a matter of time he thought, so started to make the end of the branch as sharp as possible…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda was surprised as she spoke so boldly to the Commander, but as he mentioned the state of her dress, she began to grow a bit indignant. Dunhama answered for her before she could utter another word, and for that she was grateful. She did not wish to say anything out of anger or frustration and risk loosing her position.
Her eyes widened as the Commander told them where he was, and as she looked over to the prison camp, she couldn't help but feel nervous and frightened at what may happen.
Athilda had heard Dunhama's inquiry, but she was torn. Should she help the man who saved her life-yet killed for his own sake- or stay with Dunhama to protect him from painful truth.
A sigh escaped her lips and she shook her head in response to her own thoughts. No, she would not help him. Not this time, for how could she?
"Dunhama?"
Athilda took his hand and gazed up into his eyes, then turned towards him.
"I should have told you this when I met you in the cave, but....that man he...."
She closed her eyes for a moment and paused, but then resumed and opened her eyes as she regained courage.
"He told me that he is your uncle....and that you would want to speak with him..."
She lowered her gaze until her eyes rested on the lock of hair he wore over his tunic.
"Is there any truth to what he said?"

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 1:03 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama looked down at Athilda's feet as he said,

"I... I don't know. My mother told me very little of our days in the Westmarch, and I was very young, too young to remember. The earliest memory I have is of a fire. It scared me really bad. That is why I likely remember it."

He thought and remembered what the soldier father said to him when they were on the road to Helms Deep. Dunhama said,

"That father who we met with the hurt daughter. He said to me that there was much mingling between Rohirrim and Dunlandings in the west, in love and in war. I .. I think my mother was raped,... maybe it was this man's brother... he ... he would be my father..."

Dunhama was filled with so many emotions he did not know what to do. A tear pushed its way from one of his eyes and ran down his cheek.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 2:34 pm 
Ent
Ent

As she listened, Athilda could tell just how much weight these hidden memories and truths carried. She knew now that she never should have inquired about these truths.
"Dunhama..."
She spoke his name gently as she lifted her hand to rest on his cheek.
"Forgive me for asking about your childhood, when clearly it burdens you. We do not have to confront him yet, or at all, if that is what you wish. We can, in fact go back and rest before your training at dawn begins again."

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 7:01 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama turned to Athilda and gave her a hug as the land lit up red from the westering sun finding the edge of the clouds. He then cupped his hands gently to each side of her head and his forehead touched hers. He gave her a quick gently kiss and then looked her in the eyes and said,

”My love, I am glad you have spoken of my childhood. I wish to remember it, and I wish to share it all with you. It is something I have not been able to face, but with you and your strength with me, may I learn more of it and face my past come what may.”

She was so beautiful as she glowed in the sun, and she appeared very much the healer in her blood-stained, torn dress. His thought went back to when they were in the pool talking. Dunhama sighed as he turned to look out toward the Dunlanding camp. He said to her,

”You are right in wanting to help this man. I will need to talk with him, and I wish you to be there when I do. But the day wanes now, and I have no weaponry on me, and you have no aid kit on you. It will likely get dark before we can prepare and get over there, yet after what he has done for Erkenbrand, he may not survive the night in there. Do we go as we are, or do we go and prepare and venture over there at night?”

He looked at Athilda for he wanted to know what his beloved thought was the right thing to do. He valued her thoughts, and hewas still too tangled in his mixed emotions to think clearly.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 45  Next