Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431 ... 447  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting to know you...
PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Fact: I've always wanted a Honda S2000. The car is perfectly proportioned and just dang cute!

A year or so ago there was the beautiful one above for sale near us. My husband said I could buy it if I wanted to. After all, he owned two cars for years!

So I considered it for a day or so but then decided that I really didn't need a second car. But, I REALLY wanted to ride in it. I contacted the owner, a woman who LOVED it but was selling it to buy a larger car to cart her grandkids around in, and asked her if she would help me check off an item from my Bucket List and give me a ride.

She asked me if I wanted to drive it! Heck yes! So, as I got in, I proceeded to put my right knee into the steering wheel! OUCH! I put the seat back as far as it would go and still I had my knees half way up and couldn't stretch them out all the way. I'm only 5'6" but I have long legs... And, the steering wheel was nearly in my chest!

But, I drove the car around for a few minutes and realized that it was just too small even for me. It was built for really small people... :(

I did like that it was a manual transmission and it had a lot of get up and go! So at least I finally got to drive one, and they still catch my eye when I see one on the road.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 10:34 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

That is NOT a car you want to give to a beginner! With the acceleration and top speed, it is practically a two-liter (122 cu in) relative of the Shelby Cobra. Stomp on the accelerator at the wrong time when you’re NOT driving arrow-straight, and you’re going to experience some serious oversteer, up to and including a bad (multiple) spin. And anytime you exceed 200 kilometers per hour (124 mph), even many sections of the vaunted German Autobahn suddenly seem like twisting mountain roads, as I have experienced with my 134 cu in 148 hp Opel Astra with its certified top speed of 214 kph (133 mph). On a very, very long straight stretch of the six-lane (three in each direction) Autobahn A3 not far south from Frankfurt (the one in Hessia) I had the opportunity to keep the accelerator floored for … I really don’t know, felt like a long time, may have been less than a minute, certainly less than two. Indicated speed 225 kph, or 140 mph. 62.5 meters or 206 feet per second. Or, in the minute I may have been able to keep the speed up, 3.75 kilometers – or two-and-a-third miles per minute. Let me tell you, those three lanes on my side looked like a *bleeping* country lane. Even Porsches keep their distance and are in no hurry to pass you at that speed. And just forget mileage – the engine is binging like college students on a spring break in Florida! :drunk:

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 6:45 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

One of the most fun cars I had was a Fiat 128 4 door sedan. It was a rolling box, but the 1500cc engine had guts and there was no lagging in its get up and go... well as long as I didn't have four adults in the car. Usually it was just me, or me and the kids. It was my runabout for many years through the 90's. I even drove it maniacally on logging roads during a rally and lost my exhaust resonator in the process. My 'fix' was using a big piece of chromed exhaust pipe I found on the side of the motorway pounded into the remnants of the resonator. It was one of the first 'fart-can' sounding exhaust pipes around, before they became famous with the drifters.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 1:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

My top three dream cars have been for a long time the 1950s Mercedes 300 SL gullwing, the early Jaguar E types (I think it was called XKE in the US), and the Shelby Cobra. Totally impractical toys for millionaires, but that’s why I call them dream cars. I actually once saw a Cobra parked somewhere in the town where I went to high school. It looked quite small (in the early 1970, US cars were still land battleships), and it was the 427 cu in monster. My 1985 coffee-table book “Muscle Cars” states that only 356 of them were ever built by Carrol Shelby. A car that very definitely belonged only in the hands of experienced, licensed race drivers, especially considering the suspension and steering of the time. It was good sports car stuff for the time, but it wasn’t until much later replicas (I read about one with a 451 cu in engine once) that state-of-the-art sports car suspensions finally caught up with the brute power of the engine.
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 7:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

That's a cute run-about, Hanasian!

Gandolorin, I always wanted a Jaguar XKE coupe, not the fast back. When I first met my husband, we discussed getting one and putting a better engine in it. But then we learned that it has a monocoque body, which meant that if I happened to wreck it, (not that I planned to wreck it...), it would cost a LOT to get it fixed, since the body was basically one piece wrapped around the interior.

Instead, my husband bought a 1970 MGB at a repo sale, bought the Ford 302 engine from our old 9 passenger station wagon that was sitting in a field at my folks, and put that in the MG. He worked on that car for the last 39 years, improving the handling and mostly removing everything that was British. At the time, it put Corvettes and Porsches to shame. And it just looked like a stock MG.

We had a LOT of fun in that car! But when it came to him not being able to easily crawl out from underneath it after fixing it, he decided to sell it. Got top dollar too. :D

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 5:41 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Findë wrote:
That's a cute run-about, Hanasian!

Yeah, it was one of the best snow cars. Throw the winter tires on and Off I went. Had good recovery when it over-steered too. I did a near 90° slide at speed on the freeway in the snow, slush, and ice, and I steered hard and kept the foot-feed constant and it corrected itself! Fiats were notoriously 'buggy' cars in te 1970's but the only issue I had with it was the electric fuel pump that was bolted to the fuel tank. It had one wire and depended on the chassis grounding for the circuit. The tank bolts would get corroded and the fuel pump would quit. After taking a wrench and banging on it on the road side a few times, I finally put a grounding braid from one of the fuel pump bolts to the frame and never had that issue again.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 9:16 pm 
Istari
Istari

(Maybe we do need a car thread?)
All right, enough about cars, already! :drive:

Erm …
Any “Hell’s Angels” here? I mean (motor) bikers. :dance:
My total experience is tagging along on the back seat of a smallish thingy (no Harley or Gold Wing or stuff like that) once, in maybe the mid-1970s. :dizzy:

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 9:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

My "boyfriend" in high school had a Kawasaki 300. I wasn't allowed on motorcycles but he and I would sneak out anyway. He did always make me wear a helmet, even though it wasn't the law yet.

Right out of high school I had a boyfriend who had a Harley sportster. That was a really nice ride. We didn't wear helmets -- it just wasn't cool and not yet the law. One day I didn't braid my waist-length hair and let it fly... It took my Mom about an hour to comb out the tangles.

A vehicle thread you say? Image

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 11:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

Findë wrote:
... A vehicle thread you say? Image

Well, you certainly helped keep this thread in the “vroom-vroom” lane, so who knows. As a contrast, football (soccer to the ignorants) has been something I just couldn’t care less about (my wife has picked up the slack) since the 1978 World Cup final between the Netherlands and Argentina in Argentina. As this is not the Rant Thread, I will now Cease and Desist on this topic (I need a PG-33 site to do what happened then justice).

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 11:23 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

:blush: Yeah, well, I try to do my part...

I watched the Worlds a few years ago but the Vuvuzelas drove me nuts!

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 11:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

Findë wrote:
... I watched the Worlds a few years ago but the Vuvuzelas drove me nuts!

That was almost certainly the 2010 one in South Africa.
For some strange reason, the next one in 2014 in Brazil elicits fond memories for me ... :-D

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 5:29 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Since we're talking about sports now... I drove a rally car in an event in the My Si area of Washington. Was fun.
As far as soccer goes, had fun drinking beer in the pub next to Moulin Rogue in Paris in 2014 when the World Cup was on. It seemed like Paris 1940 as the Germans pretty much took over the place and the French and Spaniards were cheering for Argentina.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 1:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hanasian wrote:
... the French and Spaniards were cheering for Argentina [in the 2014 Wold Cup Final].

:tongue:
Well, especially the Spaniards were frustrated because their team, as defending champions, got the boot right at the beginning in the group phase. But they and the French didn't have a chance, as all of Brazil was probably rooting for Germany. The only thing worse for them than not getting their sixth title (they were also beaten decisively 3:0 in the “small final” for third place by the Netherlands, though it was not the 7:1 thrashing they got from Germany in the semi-final) would have been their arch-Rival Argentina gaining its third title in Brazil! :vampire:

The Argentines had played quite defensively in the WC, despite having mega-star Lionel Messi (and a couple of other world-class strikers), but Germany’s 2014 team was probably one of the two best German teams ever fielded - the other was the 1990 Wold Cup winners for the third title - and may commentators felt that Germany was almost a logical winner for its fourth title that year. Took down Portugal with mega-star Christiano Ronaldo 4:0 in the first game of the group phase. Portugal duplicated Argentina’s emphasis on defense in the 2016 European Cup, with the “slightly” better result in taking the title against host country (and they were certainly no slouches) France. It was Portugal’s first major title for the national team. They had been favorites in the European Cup final 2004 at home, but were beaten 1:0 in overtime by Greece, the biggest upset in football history. :blink:

(Maybe we also need a dedicated sports thread? Be warned, I can pontificate endlessly on baseball – at least about things forty years or older!) :hide:

Last edited by Gandolorin on May 13th, 2017, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 9:55 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes, it was the 2010 one in South Africa. They tried nearly successfully to ban them in Brazil.

Gandolorin wrote:
(Maybe we also need a dedicated sports thread? Be warned, I can pontificate endlessly on baseball – at least about things forty years or older!) :hide:

Sounds good to me. On another site, we had a Sports/Olympics thread. A lot of it was talk about hockey. I love sports of most any kind. Not fond of basketball, but I'll watch most anything else. I played a lot of sports too, so I'm somewhat aware of what it takes to play them.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 5:29 pm 
Istari
Istari

Findë wrote:
... On another site, we had a Sports/Olympics thread. A lot of it was talk about hockey...

I'm assuming you mean ice hockey, as the rest of the world which manages to get its sports terms right calls it (this is "soccer" / American Football territory Image ). And on that sport, Evil~Shieldmaiden could probably post us to death. Maybe a general sports thread where we can meander from one sport to the next is best, it doesn't seem like we have enough users active to keep specific sports threads afloat. Except for duos or perhaps trios who do the posting with the rest of us only reading with a "say what?" feeling.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 8:57 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Did someone write ice hockey?? Love the sport. Can't wait for next season to arrive. :-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431 ... 447  Next