Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 11:42 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Marida wrote:
When Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980, Mom says there was ash on our patio, and we're quite a bit north of Washington state (in another country, to be honest). I was only 8 at the time, and don't remember much about it (except what I learned about it in school). We were living in a condo at the time, but only lived in the upstairs part and rented out the downstairs (or at least I think that's where we lived, since it's such a long time ago). Even my favorite fictional places have volcanoes (which is why the Jurassic World sequel has me a bit on edge, to say the least, but perhaps I'm being a little too paranoid here, since even Middle-earth has a volcano, perhaps even more than one, since it's been a while since I've read any of the books).

I remember that day. The deep low frequency 'thud' woke me up. Woke my 1 year old son up too. Didn't know it was Mt St Helens until they announced it on the radio. Was living in Renton then. It was a bit cloudy, but it was clear to the south, and I could see the plume rising.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 10:55 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hanasian wrote:
Marida wrote:
When Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980, Mom says there was ash on our patio, and we're quite a bit north of Washington state (in another country, to be honest). I was only 8 at the time, and don't remember much about it (except what I learned about it in school). We were living in a condo at the time, but only lived in the upstairs part and rented out the downstairs (or at least I think that's where we lived, since it's such a long time ago). Even my favorite fictional places have volcanoes (which is why the Jurassic World sequel has me a bit on edge, to say the least, but perhaps I'm being a little too paranoid here, since even Middle-earth has a volcano, perhaps even more than one, since it's been a while since I've read any of the books).

I remember that day. The deep low frequency 'thud' woke me up. Woke my 1 year old son up too. Didn't know it was Mt St Helens until they announced it on the radio. Was living in Renton then. It was a bit cloudy, but it was clear to the south, and I could see the plume rising.

I absolutely realize that it was a huge disaster and that there were victims of it, not least the probable consequences for nature/animal life when the side of the mountain collapsed a.s.f., but... wow that's cool.

The crownless again shall be king. ~

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 3:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Nobody, anywhere on the entire planet, is going to be happy when Yellowstone blows up … :confused2:

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 11:33 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yeah, there are a lot of dangers with volcanoes, but most eruptions are actually quite harmless to my understanding.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 3:02 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Unfortunately there are regions (Philippines, Hawaii, Indonesia – all part of the Pacific Ocean “Ring of Fire”) where population density near a volcano is a recipe for disaster (think Vesuvius and the annihilation of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79 AD, near modern Naples, but much more destructive than that).

Mount St. Helens in 1980? Practically no human habitation. Krakatoa, or Krakatau (in Indonesia) in 1883? Much bigger eruption by far, and with more than 35,000 (human) deaths. And still far more massive in explosive power, Tambora (also in Indonesia) in 1815 (there was some stuff about a nutcase Corsican in Europe that year). Led to the “year without summer” practically world-wide in 1816. And then Toba, a bit speculative, perhaps 75,000 years ago, makes everything else I’ve mentioned look like a wimpy firecracker. Closer to the dinosaur-killing (except them boids, as some Brooklynites would say) Yucatán asteroid than any previous volcanic chicken-droppings crackers. Much, much longer ago, there may have been some REALLY nasty volcanic stuff – in Siberia, the Deccan plateau of India – but all of this took place during the lifetime of our VERY ancient ancestors. Some speculate that the 75,000-years–ago Toba catastrophe may have brought Homo sapiens to the edge of extinction. And some still begrudge that Toba just didn’t go that extra mile to make sure of the extinction.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 7:29 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

We seem to be such a happy group with our discussions of volcanoes, political farces, and other related (or not) issues. :lol:

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 1:41 pm 
Istari
Istari

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
We seem to be such a happy group with our discussions of volcanoes, political farces, and other related (or not) issues. :lol:

All of the potential disasters which might ultimately prevent us from posting here (and by posting implicitly answering the Post subject with “yes”). I guess we’ve all seen too many disaster movies of all ilks. :lol:

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 7:22 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Well, since we're speaking of disasters, I see California has been hit with some more wild fires. Not something you want to see this time of the year (or any time of the year).

ROFLMAO - I misspelled California and spellcheck gave me "Fornicator" as an option.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Gandolorin wrote:
Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:

All of the potential disasters which might ultimately prevent us from posting here (and by posting implicitly answering the Post subject with “yes”). I guess we’ve all seen too many disaster movies of all ilks. :lol:

Well if it is something that puts me in a good mood it is disaster movies so I'm pretty happy :D

The crownless again shall be king. ~

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 12:22 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Lol Gotta love the random discussion that this place can drum up!

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 12:59 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well yes, some threads start out on a topic and then get sidetracked – kind of hijacked (or was that HiJaxed? :lol: )

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 4:01 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Does anybody in this place follow ice hockey, other than me?

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 11:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

I don’t. For some reason, the only US sport that ever caught my fancy was baseball … :confused2:

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 10:34 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
Does anybody in this place follow ice hockey, other than me?

I try to, but coverage is spotty at best here. There is an alehouse in the city with a Canadian ex-pat manager who usually has NHL on one of the big screens.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 11:56 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Gandolorin wrote:
Well yes, some threads start out on a topic and then get sidetracked – kind of hijacked (or was that HiJaxed? :lol: )

Hehe honestly Gandolorin... I have no idea WHAT you are talking about?!

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 1:06 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
Gandolorin wrote:

Hehe honestly Gandolorin... I have no idea WHAT you are talking about?!

:lol: me either ... He is afterall retired and watches squirrels for a pastime ... :yes:

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next