Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eowyn
PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 8:58 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Eowyn is one of my favorite LOTR female characters. I like her determined and strong willed personality.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 12:58 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I really like Eowyn; she's one of my favorite characters. I admire her willingness to fight to defend her country; unfortunately, her character was limited by the ideals and opinions of the time period the books were written in. But oh well. And I honestly prefer book!Eowyn over movie!Eowyn.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 1:45 pm 
Elf
Elf

^^ Agreed. She's a great character, in the movies and in the book.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 25th, 2015, 6:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I really liked Eowyn in the books, because she was a very complex character. She goes from being a little girl who can handle a sword and wants glory, to becoming a mature woman with the desire to heal and to love. Her little fangirl stage for Aragorn actually happened in the books, but it was much less major than in the movies. First, she is grudgingly respectful, and does what she's told, even though she really doesn't want to and that's something that i like and can relate to. Theoden and Eomer tried to keep her from battle, but only because they loved her and didn't want her to get hurt. Then after Aragorn gently pushed her aside when she voices her feelings, she sees nothing but a cage and to wait till the world ends with nothing to do but wait and hope for a better world without ever being a part of it. So she seeks an honorable death in battle. After that, she wakes up in the Houses of Healing still alive, and she appears somewhat irritated by that. She begs to be let go, but the healers are not about to let all their stress and hard work go to waste. Then her interaction with Faramir is so sweet. I would have loved to be the head warden or something there, to watch the healing of a person's heart. To watch them discover the value of living for life instead of death and battle. After a while, she comes to be happy to stay and to be a healer and not to be in the midst of every battle, full of hurt and anger. Those Houses really Healed her heart there! It's probably one of my absolute favorite scenes in the whole RotK. It's truly a beautiful sight. I think Eowyn is a valuable character because her story shows the reader that there is hope and love for the broken and hurting. Indeed the point of the whole trilogy is hope, in my opinion.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 4:18 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I too like Eowyn, as she is the strongest woman in the story besides Galadriel. When I first read the books, I cried when she didn't 'get' Aragorn, but he was betrothed to Arwen, but I did get the feeling he was checking Eowyn out.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 4:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I was annoyed with the Éowyn vs. Witch-king scene in PJ's movie. Nothing of the sort in the book. The W-k has a "*beep*" moment in the book, not that pathetic "yikes, that's a VERY large mace" garbage of the movie. I'm thinking the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movies: "make my day!" :karate: This was Éowyn vs. Witch-king, this was Gandalf the WHITE!!! vs. Witch-king, this was Aragorn with the Palantir vs. Sauron. And PJ just blew it sky-high every time (and don't get me started with the pathetic wimp he forced David Wenham to play as Faramir in the movie!!!)

Ommmmmmmmmm! :sleep:

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 7:13 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Deumeawyn wrote:
I too like Eowyn, as she is the strongest woman in the story besides Galadriel. When I first read the books, I cried when she didn't 'get' Aragorn, but he was betrothed to Arwen, but I did get the feeling he was checking Eowyn out.

My memory is vague on the first time I read the books, but I seem to remember that part and thought… ‘don’t do it you cad!’. Though Eowyn was rather fatalistic which drove her to go to battle, she did have the ‘shieldmaiden’ qualities. It is the closest Tolkien ever got to a modern feminist in the tale.

There was a lot of depth in the whole Rohan chapters and it hinted to some heavy subjects. The reader’s imagination can take them as far as the wish.

Gandolorin wrote:
I was annoyed with the Éowyn vs. Witch-king scene in PJ's movie. Nothing of the sort in the book. The W-k has a "*beep*" moment in the book, not that pathetic "yikes, that's a VERY large mace" garbage of the movie. I'm thinking the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movies: "make my day!" :karate: This was Éowyn vs. Witch-king, this was Gandalf the WHITE!!! vs. Witch-king, this was Aragorn with the Palantir vs. Sauron. And PJ just blew it sky-high every time (and don't get me started with the pathetic wimp he forced David Wenham to play as Faramir in the movie!!!)

Ommmmmmmmmm! :sleep:

That is why this discussion is in the 'Books' forum. :lol:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 2:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

My PJ-bashing got away with me again :blush: . But about 25% of my post was about the book ... :whistle:

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 8:08 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gandolorin wrote:
My PJ-bashing got away with me again :blush: . But about 25% of my post was about the book ... :whistle:

:lol: Lol! Yes, I get it my friend. I have a few of those peppered throughout this site from over the years. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 8:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

I must confess I’m having some trouble separating Éowyn of the book from PJ’s Éowyn, even though I read the book last (this?) year, while my last viewing of the movies is much longer ago.

First thought: at the time of the War of the Ring, she’s (only) 23 years old (born TA 2995). She’s younger than Pippin (actually, even Éomer, born 2991, is a year younger than Pippin!).

But then: whatever Gríma may have been doing in trying to destroy Théoden’s confidence, Éowyn was the one actually taking care of Théoden – which must have been frighteningly similar to someone in our days watching a parent slide towards dementia, so that was something which probably gave Éowyn wisdom and pity beyond her years. And as she was almost certainly aware of Gríma’s debilitating influence on her uncle, it might at some point have led to a situation in which Gríma would have been in mortal danger in her presence – but Gandalf arrived before that point was arrived at and dispatched Gríma.

Continuing my line of thinking that Gandalf’s intercession stopped her from reaching the critical point in her “not amused” buildup without releasing the built-up pressure, meeting Aragorn (and perhaps only seeing the conventional fearsome warrior aspect of him at that time) might very well have led to an irrational sort of hero-worship of him on her part. But still a conventional hero-worship, which later, when Aragorn and his companions headed off for the Paths of the Dead, was not able to imagine that Aragorn might actually be so extremely much more than any conventional fearsome warrior as to be able to tread these paths with impunity.

(Bear with me.) Having seen what she felt to be the most fearsome warrior she had ever met go on a quest that she considered to be deliberate suicide, she may have “done a Denethor” and decided that she might as well also commit suicide, but in the way she felt most appropriate for herself, in battle. Even going so far as taking Merry with her, in whom she may have seen some similar impulses as her own (but in a Hobbit unlikely. As we know, it was her best decision, giving her the slim edge against the Witch-king).

Then the Houses of the Healing. That what she considered to be a conventional fearsome warrior not only did anything but commit deliberate suicide in those paths, but also turns out to be gifted with enormous powers of healing - this may be the only time she felt like a foolish little girl.

But now the decision to attack the Black Gate. Even the Paths of the Dead look like a Shire picnic (which she would have had no knowledge of) by comparison. Now THIS definitely looks like a 100% suicide mission. And her suicidal urge has not abated yet. So once again she feels like she is not where she would like to be, in battle. But then she meets (book) Faramir, who can certainly claim to have been involved in very many more battles or skirmishes than she has, who calmly accepts his being in the Houses of the Healing and not in the front of the looming battle at the Black Gates. More to my point, as I have occasionally called Faramir, Aragorn Junior. Not so far above her (and most of humanity), but with much that is similar to Aragorn on a scale that she can deal with. Her personal Aragorn, so to speak. And they have plenty of time to get better acquainted with one another up to the time of Aragorn and Arwen’s wedding. Never mind that in “far later” ages marriages on this level of society were about 100% arranged. Some of these later force-married couples actually grew to like each other.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 12:41 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I'm actually finding Eowyn to be pretty self-centered. She's entirely concerned with her own glory and renown and seems to forget that battles are actually to save the world. She also seems to shirk her responsibilities to her people in order to fulfill this need for glory. She forgets about the effect her death would have on the people that love her and goes out on a suicide run at pelennor. When that doesn't work, she attempts to seek death elsewhere, which I think is kind of inconsiderate to her nurses who had been slaving over her for days on end only for their patient to seek death again! But then she meets Faramir and everything's good. :p Thanks Faramir.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, I’m thinking … perhaps not among the Rohirrim, but among the Gondorians not every male of the royal family went out to battle (at least one potential heir was left at home, a principle which was contravened in the disastrous battle against the Wainriders led by the 31st King of Gondor, Ondoher, in which he and both of his sons died in 1944 Third Age – one of the sons should not have been there, but “sneaked in” against explicit orders, as fading memory seems to tell me). The heir apparent at the time the Rohirrim set out to help Gondor was Éomer, who went along. Now this time, defeat in battle would have made any considerations about succession pretty irrelevant – so allowing Éowyn to become queen of the Rohirrim or not would only have been a matter for short discussions. And as she seems to have been quite fierce as a warrior-maiden – I mentioned my disgust with PJ’s garbage in the film above (his “secret” preference for the baddies and having made too many splatter movies just shows too often!). And of course, her being in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields (and having taken Merry with her) made a huge difference! Destroying the Witch-king was a more devastating blow to Sauron’s plans than any thousand warriors could have effected, and you can throw Aragorn and Théoden and Éomer and Imrahil and whoever you please into that thousand (anyone but Gandalf the White – PJ blew that one sky-high – in the EE, I believe – too).

Seeing Éowyn as being self-centered – perhaps, yes, but solely for reasons of hungering for glory – I would think no. She certainly was aware of what Wormtongue was up to and felt more and more frustrated about not being able to do something about it (but as I speculated above, she might at some point have done something quite lethal to Wormtongue!), she now might have felt a need for revenge on her and her people’s enemies. She HAD, after all, led the people to safety from Edoras to Dunharrow while the men went to Helm’s Deep. A second time was perhaps too much.

In the Houses of Healing – well, she had already made her mark, a huge one, by destroying the Witch-king. But she still was smitten with Aragorn too much, and wanted to be at his side. Maybe not realizing that, in contrast with the ride of the Rohirrim, which could be hoped to change fortunes at the specific battle at hand, this ride to the Black Gate was purely a diversion, a means of distracting Sauron, with not the slightest hope of winning any kind of battle against the enemies to be expected there. Taking out Sauron was up to the Hobbits (three, as it turned out). But then she met, as I mentioned above “Aragorn Junior” Faramir (the book one, not PJ’s pathetic misconception in the movies). A warrior too, but also much more than that, so that she may have realized there was also more to life than being a shield-maiden. Something like that. :whistle:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2022, 1:57 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Nice post! Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. check this and visit this site to know more Okbet login