Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What would you most like to see next on the main site?
LotR merchandise 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
Games 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Actor contacts 11%  11%  [ 17 ]
Layouts for other sites 11%  11%  [ 16 ]
Family trees 21%  21%  [ 31 ]
Bios for other non-LotR Tolkien characters 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Quotes 20%  20%  [ 30 ]
Sound clips from the movies 9%  9%  [ 14 ]
Other (please explain) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 151
 Post subject: Re: What would you most like to see next on the main site?
PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 3:17 am 
Vala
Vala

Not all are, and they may be encouraged to return and help with what little they can if they were actually able to. I'd love to update the news section again, no problem, but I don't have access anymore so my hands are tied. As are some of the others who helped out behind the scenes but weren't official moderators or anything like that. Maybe most people just figure they can't do anything anymore anyway so why even check in.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:20 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I think there needs to be a passion to do what all is required, and the passion for Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth that was generated by the Jacksonverse 18 years ago is no longer there. There was a brief and ever so slight resurgence when the Hobbit series came along, but it didn't carry the weight the Lord of the Rings did. Also, the 'new' tech of facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, etc. was taking hold, and dedicated sites and forums were increasingly considered passé. The site tech is old and likely needs a re-vamp, and it all takes time and effort from busy lives. Anyway, I will enjoy the place until the end.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:54 am 
Vala
Vala

True, but it's not like it'd hurt. I mean, giving more people the actual ability to make changes, update news, whatever, isn't going to hurt the place. I don't really believe in the whole forums are over thing, I'm an admin on three other sites and the activity is high in two of them, am a moderator on two others and the activity is high there. They are sort of inter-connected in a way, but nonetheless. Some of the most active forums there have maybe 10 new threads created a day, if not more. Others go from 1 post to 100 in like two days. If not less. Forums aren't really a thing of the past, there just needs to be something happening behind the scenes that gives the impression that this is a place to be, hang out, have fun, discuss, and make friends.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 6:49 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Maybe they aren't a thing of the past, but 'Tolkien' forums seem to be. And there is no passion by the owners to do anything with this one other than let it idle and keep paying the bills. The Tolkien sites I know of and are a part of have a handful or less semi-regular participants, with a scattering of occasional returnees and a rare real non-bot new person joining.... much like this site. If you are on a Tolkien forum that is as active as those you mention, what is it?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 1:16 pm 
Vala
Vala

I didn't say they were a Tolkien forum, but again, it's not like it'd hurt.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 2:54 pm 

Bellatrix wrote:
Not all are, and they may be encouraged to return and help with what little they can if they were actually able to. I'd love to update the news section again, no problem, but I don't have access anymore so my hands are tied. As are some of the others who helped out behind the scenes but weren't official moderators or anything like that. Maybe most people just figure they can't do anything anymore anyway so why even check in.

While I read the calls for Arweb and the mods to get into action in order to revive the site and forum, I would like to point out -like Bellatrix did- that the revival of 2013 was mainly member-driven. ;) Johnny's Fan was in charge and with her enthusiasm she gathered a complete team to fix certain aspects of the site and forum. And I must say that they did so with amazing positivity and passion. There's a lot of negativity at the moment concerning the status of the forum and that isn't really the right mind set to revive the forum, I think. You need to accept that Arweb is not going to play an active role in refreshing the website, forum or its infrastructure. But you can make a difference by creating new LotR-related topics or discussions, initiating new contests (I believe Thranduil was interested in organising a new contest) or start a mass-RPG event. All these things will energise the forum, create new and fun content which may attract old or new members. :)

@ Bellatrix, it's fine by me if you want to take it upon you to refresh the news on the website, but JF send you the info about how to do it long ago. Perhaps you can try and contact her if you can't find it anymore, as I don't have the server password.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm 
Vala
Vala

@ Will (quoting doesn't work for me, eh)

Yeah, not to toot my own horn but I thought we did pretty great for a while. We wrote new character bios, we updated the news section, we tried our best to spread the word and we did it just for the fun of it and because we love this forum. So, maybe I am tooting my own horn, but not only mine, I only played one part in it, we were quite a fun team who tried our very best. I had even forgotten that it was JF who gave me the details on how to sort out the news section... Man, it was long ago, huh. I will definitely give that a go. I mean, I've always been willing to try and help out more, the only reason I stopped was because after a while enthusiasm sort of died down (for very understandable reasons) and so few were left to try and keep things together and yeah... But I'll contact her this week and see if anything can come of it. There may not be all that much news, but what little there is, I could always try and sniff out. xD

Thanks for your input, Will. :)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:10 pm 

Go for it, Bellatrix! :)
And when you do contact her, you could perhaps try and lure her back to AU with cookies and hugs? :teehee:
She is missed. :yes:

Edit: your best chance is probably contacting her on Facebook.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:14 pm 
Vala
Vala

I don't know her FB, do you think you could PM it to me? I sure hope she remembers me though, otherwise - stalkerwarning and aaaawkward. ;D

Will do my best to lure her back, even if just to say hello, I promise! (If she remembers me, otherwise I'll crawl under a rock and hide in shame for a while.)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I’m a late-comer to this site (and Internet at home generally), so I’ll just say that I’m quite happy to see the site at all, period.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:31 pm 
Elf
Elf

The prospect potential of site updates and returning oldies makes me excited.

I do agree that forums, even Tolkien ones aren’t a thing of the past, ToRN still has a pretty buzzing forum, and reddit is like the worlds biggest multi faceted forum. I think it’s just people have grown up and have busier lives now, than when they first joined, fandoms of all kinds are always dominated by the people who have the most time to dedicate to them.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

And perhaps that the overlap of the “films set” and the Internet was and is far larger than the overlap of the “books set” and the Internet.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 7:52 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Here's to hoping. I myself have been here and quite active for part of 2016 and all of 2017,. Been into a couple RP tales; been into the random games, been into the 'life' bit. It's been for the most part enjoyable.
Maybe I'll step back and see what happens.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 12:25 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Well, it would be great to see any kind of update. Like Hanasian, I have kind of resigned myself away to just being here until the bitter frost of the end freezes things over... But I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

I am all for helping with whatever can be done. As far as site content, I try and post regularly to keep an active forum. Thanks to Hanasian, and those he has brought on board, ES, and the few others who have found there way here and stuck around... It is actually quite a bit more active than it used to be for a long time.

As mentioned, though, the main site really needs a re-vamp. Even if we only posted new news once a month. Nothing's screames "dead forum" like the latest news from 2005 still being front and center.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 6:44 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

[quote="Jax Nova"]As mentioned, though, the main site really needs a re-vamp. Even if we only posted new news once a month. Nothing's screames "dead forum" like the latest news from 2005 still being front and center.[/quote]

I agree, Jax. How does one go about getting permission to post there?