Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plotting a LOTR fanfiction ~ Help please!
PostPosted: December 15th, 2018, 2:35 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Aiya!

Hi everyone! As you can tell from the subject title, I am right now plotting a Lord of the Rings fanfiction but I need some help with some ideas for the story...

So I was thinking to have an alternate story of Lord of the Rings where my original character is the granddaughter of Elrond and Celebrian. However, my original character isn't an elf or half-elven, she's mortal. Her mother was an elf (a.k.a the eldest daughter of Elrond and Celebrian's child) and her father is part of the race of men (can't determine if he's a Dúnadan or Rohirrim). And what I was thinking about the story was that she becomes part of the Fellowship as a healer and a swordswoman.

Here's where I need help: I want to not just write a story about another fellowship member, I want to write a part romance genre story for my original character. I don't know who should be "shipped" with my original character and I don't know if I should use a canon character or another original character for the love story. I've been leaning towards Boromir or having a character related to Boromir and Faramir (I don't want to use Faramir because I always see him with Éowyn). I'm always okay using Éomer as the love interest if someone can shed light on why that might be a good idea. I also don't know what her, her mother's, and her father's name should be. I've been doing a ton of research on Sindarin, Qenya, Noldorian, and Rohirric (Old English) for name creations and I cannot make up my mind what names I should make.

If anyone helps me, I will be in their debt and will gladly mention them in my author notes.

Thank you!

Hantanyel órenyallo!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Plotting a LOTR fanfiction ~ Help please!
PostPosted: December 15th, 2018, 9:10 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Sounds like some interesting fanfic! A realtionship with Boromir, should you go with the original story as a guideline, would end tragically. Think maybe another original character would suit. Just my opinion.

I myself have written fanfic for my original Dunedain Ranger characters, one which Elora Starsong and I wrote out a quite detailed post war history with one of her OCs. The Dunedain Rangers are original in the fact that only Halbarad was named of the rangers that rode south to meet Aragorn (in the books). My original Ranger character started out as 'Ranger #26' before I named him (my username here).

Anyway, I'm not really helping you out here. I like the alternate you are writing, and there should be lots of leeway in OCs. I just think having the canon characters in secondary roles makes for better stories.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 5:15 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hanasian wrote:
Sounds like some interesting fanfic! A realtionship with Boromir, should you go with the original story as a guideline, would end tragically. Think maybe another original character would suit. Just my opinion.

I myself have written fanfic for my original Dunedain Ranger characters, one which Elora Starsong and I wrote out a quite detailed post war history with one of her OCs. The Dunedain Rangers are original in the fact that only Halbarad was named of the rangers that rode south to meet Aragorn (in the books). My original Ranger character started out as 'Ranger #26' before I named him (my username here).

Anyway, I'm not really helping you out here. I like the alternate you are writing, and there should be lots of leeway in OCs. I just think having the canon characters in secondary roles makes for better stories.

Thank you! And I can see why making an OC love interest could be better for the story than a canon character. However, I’ve seen many good alternate stories of having Boromir surviving Amon Hen and having a very interesting take on LOTR. But also, I’m still not sure whether Boromir is a good match for my OC and have someone else instead. I’ve heard from other people that making more OCs in a story who are present are the trickiest to write down because it would often confuse the readers more if the character development is messy. So maybe that’s why I want to use an established character? So I can avoid the potential messy multiple character developments?... As you can tell, it’s a struggle for me...

But thank you for replying! And don’t worry, you’ve been a help for sharing your thoughts and opinions of the story plotting! :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 1:34 am 
Istari
Istari

Sounds interesting! I will have to think about it to see if I can think of anything.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 5:53 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Captain Boromir wrote:
Sounds interesting! I will have to think about it to see if I can think of anything.

All right! Thanks for the feedback and thank you for reading the forum! :D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 9th, 2019, 9:27 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Sounds like a neat idea! I would love to help if I could. I've always thought it would be pretty neat to do a fanfic, but don't have the know how to do it!

As for the names, is there any particular name style you are looking for, or perhaps a particular meaning? Or just anything that sounds good?

With the love interest, my personal suggestion would be Eomer if you go with a cannon character. Mostly because I feel like his character was a really good character that never got the chance to develop as much as I would have liked to see him do so. (Of course he didn't develop for the obvious reasons)

That being said, I think if it was me, I would just create a non cannon character for the love interest. My reasons would be these. I can make them into anything I want. I don't have to worry about other fans complaining that I messed up any lore. I don't have to worry about keeping any facts of lore about that character straight with everything else. Lastly, if I am going to create my own character, I think it would be fun to create another with a deep background that could weave through the original story, thus (perhaps) being how my character (In this case your character) would come into the fellowship etc...

Of course... I should probably stop before I get too carried away. :P

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 12th, 2019, 11:02 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Jax Nova wrote:
Sounds like a neat idea! I would love to help if I could. I've always thought it would be pretty neat to do a fanfic, but don't have the know how to do it!

As for the names, is there any particular name style you are looking for, or perhaps a particular meaning? Or just anything that sounds good?

With the love interest, my personal suggestion would be Eomer if you go with a cannon character. Mostly because I feel like his character was a really good character that never got the chance to develop as much as I would have liked to see him do so. (Of course he didn't develop for the obvious reasons)

That being said, I think if it was me, I would just create a non cannon character for the love interest. My reasons would be these. I can make them into anything I want. I don't have to worry about other fans complaining that I messed up any lore. I don't have to worry about keeping any facts of lore about that character straight with everything else. Lastly, if I am going to create my own character, I think it would be fun to create another with a deep background that could weave through the original story, thus (perhaps) being how my character (In this case your character) would come into the fellowship etc...

Of course... I should probably stop before I get too carried away. :P

For my OC's name, I was wanting something that resembles a bit of Luthien or Melian name's or something that means "Grace" and "Stars/Sun/Moon/etc". Since she is related to Luthien and Melian, I was thinking about what if she was named similarly to them...

Since I've been thinking about actually having my OC being with a canon or non-canon character for the past couple of weeks, I've been actually thinking about making another OC that is part of the Fellowship but have him join in later (like the Fellowship met him on their way to Moria and they decided him to tag along). I also don't know what name he should have or if he should be part of the Race of Men (Gondorian from Minas Tirith or Dol Amroth) or Elves (Sindarin or Silvan)...

Thank you for checking this form out and sorry for the late reply!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Honestly, either way you do it, I think it sounds like a fun story to write and read. :) And no worries at all about the late reply!

Names can be hard, though. Especially when trying to keep with ore-existing lore.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM