Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galadriel's gifts :)
PostPosted: April 29th, 2008, 8:19 am 
Maia
Maia

Suilaid :)
I was thinking about this and thought I would make a post about it: the gifts Galadriel gave to the Fellowship in Lothlorien in the chapter "Farewell to Lorien". I think, and I don't know if anyone agrees, that her presents to the different members of the Fellowship had messages laced into them. It might just be my overactive imagination though. :)
She gave a gold belt to Boromir; now I thought that this was strange, seeing as the gifts she presented to the others seemed to be a little more meaningful. It seemed more materalistic than, for instance, Sam's little box of earth to make a garden with, or something of that kind.
What do you think?
She gave a bow to Legolas strung with Elven-hair and Merry and Pippin... I can't remember what she gave them. I think she gave Aragorn a badge representing his foretold name, Elessar.
True, a gold belt would probably be very beautiful and of great worth; but it seemed a bit of a let-down to Boromir, who by that time of course wanted the ring for himself. It seems to me that Galadriel didn't think he was that special.
Ahhh, I'm trying to get across what I want to say, but all this sounds like is me saying "well, a gold belt is a bit rubbish, even if it's reallyyy expensive". But what I'm trying to put across it: Galadriel only gave Boromir something of material worth, whereas her gifts to the other members were something of purpose.
I apologize if this makes no sense at all :)

~Goldleafxxx

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2008, 10:55 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

maybe the belt was an extra adornment for the horn of gondor that he proudly carried. to be honest i have no i dea if he slung his horn across his back or wherever... but to me the belt seemed like it was given to hold the horn which was kinda identified Boromir or it was like a family heirloom.
and i really wish i remember what she gave merry and pippin.... something tells me they were belts also but my memory is worse than my grandma's. i'll have to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2008, 4:45 am 
Maia
Maia

Aha, I can't believe I was stupid enough to forget that he could carry his horn in that belt! Well, that clears matter up a bit; the whole belt gift was really bugging me :-D

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2008, 3:38 pm 
Elf
Elf

Still, compared to the other gifts, I think Bor might think he got the short end of the straw

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 11:22 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Galadrial gave (to the best of my knowledge);

To Aragorn- A sheath for Anduril representing its history.
To Legolas- A bow of the Galahdrim, string with an elven hair, with a quiver of arrows
To Gimli- Three of Galadriels own hairs
To Boromir- A belt of Gold
To Merry and Pippin- Each a belt of silver (?)
To Sam- That earth from her garden and a Mallorn nut.
To Frodo-The phial of water in which the light of Earendil was caught.

I think that Borormir wasnt necessarily sold short, I mean, Both Merry and Pippin recieved Belts, and theirs were of silver, a traditionally less valuable metal than gold. I just think that perhaps, Boromir was given something that reflected his materialistic character. For example, when Aragorn first revealed his identity, and the legend of Isildurs Heir was mentioned, he treated it with scepticism (can't remember a direct quote). So as I said, he merely recieved something that he would have a) found value in and B) adequately reflected the man recieving it.

Of course if you compare it to the weapons or the precious things of the Eldar it seems insignificant, but perspective is always important. :D

Berek

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 8:35 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Galadriel give also small knives to Merry and Pippin?

I think that Boromir's belt was same kind of gift that I sometimes give to my friends or a member of my family: very pretty, sometimes useful, but you don't really need it. :)

Syviin juuriin ei ulotu pakkanen
Tuli tuhkasta jälleen pilkahtaa
Valo varjoista syttyvä on
Terä miekan murtunut yhteen saa
Ja kruunataan kruunuton

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 2:57 am 
Istari
Istari

I do believe the belts (including merry and pippin) are tokens for the brave... If you see, Boromir is redeemed when he gives his life for the two hobbits, his honor is not broken and his valor does not fail. As to the hobbits, they play their part as warriors to the very end of the books, it's just that they didn't know their bravery back in Lorien. Gold and silver from Lorien remain pure as anything that comes from there, I think EVERY gift had meaning behind it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 7:05 am 
Ent
Ent

Yes, I do believe there were daggers involved with Merry and Pippin. I think they lost them somewhere though...like when they were captured or something, but I forget.
And then again, it isn't like it was just some rubbish belt, I mean, whoever crafted it probably spent ages working on it. But, you know, Boromir wasn't feeling all that great towards Lothlorien and all in the first place. He might miss the significance of something else that was given, or at least he might miss it for a while until something happened to make him realize...

^ Sig set by Goldy!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Galadriel's gifts :)
PostPosted: June 1st, 2019, 12:18 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Ten Years Later...)

I'm thinking I'm due for a re-read, and as a slight tangent to the topic, but did Faramir mention something about Boromir's belt in his vision?

(does research...)

Faramir:'I sat at night by the waters of Anduin, in the grey dark under the young pale moon, watching the ever-moving stream; and the sad reeds were rustling. ... Then I saw, or it seemed that I saw, a boat floating on the water, glimmering grey, a small boat of a strange fashion with a high prow, and there was none to row or steer it.

'A broken sword was on his knee. I saw many wounds on him. It was Boromir, my brother, dead'

Frodo:

'Yet how could such a thing have happened in truth?' asked Frodo. 'For no boat could have been carried over the stony hills from Tol Brandir; ... And yet how could any vessel ride the foam of the great falls and not founder in the boiling pools, though laden with water?'

Faramir:

'You passed through the Hidden Land,' said Faramir, 'but it seems that you little understood its power. If Men have dealings with the Mistress of Magic who dwells in the Golden Wood, then they may look for strange things to follow.'

There is no direct mention of the gold belt, but maybe some of the power of Lorien rested in it as well as the boat? Just pondering....

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on February 14th, 2020, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 20th, 2022, 5:26 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I have always been interested in https://gardeniaweddingcinema.com/latin-women/ western men. They look nice and seem respectful, which is something that Ukrainian men lack. I know English well, so it is easy for me to meet foreign guys and chat with them. I find a deeper connection with foreigners as they seem very smart and intelligent. I became a mail order bride as I would love to connect my life with a wise and well-mannered man. I believe that my chances of meeting such a man at a Ukrainian marriage agency are much higher.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2023, 10:18 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I think you should choose a gift that she likes and suits her. contexto