Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you think happend to the orcs after Sauron's defeat?
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 9:24 am 
Vala
Vala

Quote:
As when death smites the swollen brooding thing that inhabits their crawling hill and holds them all in sway, ants will wander witless and purposeless and then feebly die, so the creatures of Sauron, orc or troll or beast spell-enslaved, ran hither and thither mindless; and some slew themselves, or cast themselves in pits, or fled wailing back to hide in holes and dark lightless places far from hope.

What do you think happened after that to the orcs, etc? Do you think they died, or do you think they eventually regained their wits, etc, and became a thorn in Gondor's side again?

Last edited by Aerandir on January 4th, 2006, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 5:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmmm... I think that most of them died, and as that quote said, many killed themselves since they had no leader now. With both Morgoth and Sauron gone now for the first time, they didn't have any leader or home. Many also probably went back to hide in the mountains, and in caves, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 7:53 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

They became, what I think did to the dwarves, just a fairy-tale folk. Where someone would encounter them in some mountain-pass or under a bridge, type of thing. I mean, it says in the Silmarillion that the Orcs where both subservient to Morgoth, and yet in their hearts hated him at the same time. But it's the Black Lords will that drives them to do whatever, because they were once Elves(or Men), and when that will is broken, their witless shells, now afraid at the might of their enemies, whom once had a formidable foe-their lord, Sauron. So they I guess dwindled, into naught more than fairy tale creatures as I said.

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7521

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 8:43 pm 
Elf
Elf

Hm...This sparks me an idea for a fanfiction. I wonder if I should write one...I never really have.. :blink: nevermind back to topic. I think most of them died, but I'm guessing in the fourth age that you wouldn't encounter too many orcs in those happy days but if morgoth rose again do u think he would awaken them all? Hey i gotta question...what about shelob?

Capt. Jack: Shoot him and cut out his tongue! Then shoot his tongue!..and trim that scraggly beard.

yAAAy! The <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc20071218_443372.htm">Hobbit movie</a> is back on!!! Movie buffs get excited!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 12:18 am 
Elf
Elf

...what about shelob?[/quote]

Aye, good question. I wonder if she died from sams stab or not. Hmmmmm...

~*PM Me for graphics*~

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 8:11 am 
Vala
Vala

I think Shelob probably was killed by an a force of Gondorians-wielding-elven-swords later in life. ^_^

I think that the orcs eventually dwindled, like Erethror said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 7:16 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

yeah pretty much the same but i do think many would survive living in caves in mountains just surviving and being only a small danger of the road to travellers and those who got lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 3:33 am 
Elf
Elf

Aerandir nice theory. Lol. Let's hope she won't breed millions of spiders to attack middle-earth. *jokes*:-D

*dramatic music* thum-thum--THUM!!!

O_o, I'm lost! I want me mommy! Sees huge trool* Ahhhhh!!!

Capt. Jack: Shoot him and cut out his tongue! Then shoot his tongue!..and trim that scraggly beard.

yAAAy! The <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc20071218_443372.htm">Hobbit movie</a> is back on!!! Movie buffs get excited!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2006, 10:15 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Nothing can dissapear over the night. Their lines and ranks had been severed hard and mostly they crawled up into the hills and dark places. I guess here and there might still be some resistance from them in the 4th age, esspecially on the borderlands. Think also most fled back to Mordor and i think Elessar left the land of Mordor to them but it was once again watched by Gondor like in the times of old (Cirith Ungol was an outpost and i think it was rebuilt to watch the land again)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 2:53 am 
Vala
Vala

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you that the orcs fled back to Mordor - RotK says that Aragorn freed the 'slaves of Nurn' and gave the land to them, not orcs. Orcs weren't exactly slaves. They were pathetic servants, but not slaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 7:29 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Aerandir wrote:
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you that the orcs fled back to Mordor - RotK says that Aragorn freed the 'slaves of Nurn' and gave the land to them, not orcs. Orcs weren't exactly slaves. They were pathetic servants, but not slaves.

Yes, your right it were the Nurn slaves as far as i can recall....but honestly there still must had been many of orcs left alive so they had to run away somewhere and Mordor would make a logical choice. True, they will not rule over it but if you had to pick a hiding spot if you had been one of them, where would you run? I think that the main remenant of them must have fled there and perhaps to the Iron Hills and eventually dwindled into nothing from time to time leaderless, but thats just my wild guess...if someone has more info on this matter, i would love to hear it myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 4:43 am 
Vala
Vala

I don't think that those who fled back to Mordor would have survived long, at least if they tried gathering - Aragorn sent a 'detachment of the army' to destroy the orc holdings and stuff in Mordor, so if the orcs fled there, there would have been an army right behind them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 7:00 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Neither do i think they survived long. But they had to run somewhere, and yet again... what makes us so sure there arent any left somewhere out there? True, it is said that they had been severed by the Gondorians but did they wipe out all of them? From here we can only speculate things that happened after the events described in written form....

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2006, 12:11 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hmm...interesting thought. I guess there was probably chaos in the orcs for a while, with no true leader...I bet there was fighting for some crown of leader...ship. Knowing the orcs, of course. I don't think they would have died out, just dwindled...adapted to living in the dark, nothing really to fight for.

This also leads to another question: What was Mordor like after Sauron was defeated? Did things grow again? Or was it just a barren wasteland of ruin?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2006, 2:26 pm 

I think that most of the Orcs are died by fighting to the other Orcs, because fighting is the only thing they've ever learned...they are a bit tragical, when you think about that fact.. And the other Orcs are probably hidden in the mountains, waiting for an innocent passenger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2006, 7:29 pm 

I'm thinking most were destroyed when Sauron was destroyed but for those left, I'm sure they were killed later.