Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2005, 9:40 am 
Elf
Elf

Location: I fly back and forth between Grobania and Middle-earth

Always assume they are going to bash Christians. It bugs me to no end!!!! Then again, it was the crusades, and well... who knows why most of those people went. I have read a little bit on the subject, and not all of them were as pious, nor others as worldly as you might want to think. I think some honestly went for pious reasons, but I'm rather certain that a lot of them went for selfish ones.

Like the one guy that led a bunch of women and children over there. Or the guy who led all these kids into the Mediteranean to drown to death. Yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2005, 6:59 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

well you know that the film was based off of a historical event

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2005, 7:09 pm 
Elf
Elf

I do. Well, sorta. I know it was suppose to kinda be taking place vaguely between the first and second crusade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2005, 7:22 pm 
Elf
Elf

I do. Well, sorta. I know it was suppose to kinda be taking place vaguely between the first and second crusade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2005, 9:07 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

i just got this on DVD the other week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2005, 3:28 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I so want to see that movie....i only wished he was a muslim in the movie..I am a muslim too :P :happy: not that I have something against Christian people :no: ...but just like in the 13th warrior with antonio banderas as a muslim... :drool: it just made him hotter... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2005, 4:30 pm 
Elf
Elf

I HAVE SEEN IT! YAY FOR ME!!!

Well, I can't say it was anti-anything. It seemed to be rather consistant with records. You can imagine my surprise when I learned Balian was a real lord and protector of Jerusalem. I nearly screamed with delight when I learned this.

(History Nut and Fangirl are a dangerous combonation!)

I really liked the movie and requested it for Christmas. *looks at wonderful parents and bats eyelashes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25th, 2005, 4:36 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

Lothril wrote:
Always assume they are going to bash Christians. It bugs me to no end!!!! Then again, it was the crusades, and well... who knows why most of those people went. I have read a little bit on the subject, and not all of them were as pious, nor others as worldly as you might want to think. I think some honestly went for pious reasons, but I'm rather certain that a lot of them went for selfish ones.

Like the one guy that led a bunch of women and children over there. Or the guy who led all these kids into the Mediteranean to drown to death. Yeah.

That was my only complaint with it, too. They didn't directly bash Christians, nor do I think that the Muslims were entirely to blame either, but it did play out making the Muslims look a little more merciful and justified in their actions. Many people involved in the Crusades that claimed to be Christians were in it for selfish motives, just as many Muslims were. In my opinion, the Crusades were fought for the wrong reasons on both sides. Yes, both Christians and Muslims view it as a Holy City, but in the end, it's just a city. Would I love to visit one day and see where Jesus walked? Sure. But it's still just a city. I didn't agree with all of Balian's views, but I wholeheartedly agreed with how he saw Jerusalem. I just didn't like the spin they put on it. Yes, it was based off of a historical event, but even true events get reported with bias. If two people that supported opposing teams watched a basketball game, they'd both have very different accounts of how it went, and what was fair or foul. But in the end, it was a pretty good movie. And I love the soundtrack (got it for Christmas) :D

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2005, 9:06 am 
Maia
Maia

My brother got KoH on DVD....... I might beg him to let me watch it :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2005, 1:46 pm 
Elf
Elf

Quick! Anybody got a good KoH site? Need a pic of Balian talking about Jerusalem being a kingdom of conscious.

Isn't that the scene where he slaps the boy? or is that something else? WAAH! I only saw it once!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2005, 11:56 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

If you liked this movie, you will really like these books:

In my opinion they are better than KOH. (But I really like KOH)

The Road to Jerusalem

In 1150 Arn Magnusson is born to an aristocratic Swedish family and spends his childhood at the Cistercian monastery of Varnhem where he is taught the best of spiritual and worldly learning. He is also trained to become a master archer and swordsman by the giant Brother Guilbert, a former knight. At seventeen, equipped to become a monk or a warrior, Arn returns home, a young man and yet an innocent in the ways of the world. Two sisters cross his path: he is seduced by one yet falls deeply in love with the other. In loving the two sisters he has committed a serious crime and he is sentenced to serve twenty years as a Knight Templar in the Holy Land...

The Knight Templar

Born in 1150 to an aristocratic Swedish family, handsome Arn Magnusson is educated at a Cistercian monastery. As well as training to be a monk, he is to be a warrior, and becomes a master archer and swordsman under the tutelage of the giant Brother Guilbert, a former knight. But Arn is innocent in the ways of the world, and when two beautiful sisters cross his path, despite falling desperately in love with one of them, Cecilia, he is seduced by the other. Such a crime is punishable by both civil and clerical authorities, and, while Cecilia is banished to spend twenty years as a nun, Arn is sentenced to serve the same period as a Knight Templar in the Holy Land. As an occupation officer in Palestine, he discovers that the infidel Saracens don't appear to be a brutish and uncivilised as they are portrayed in Christian propaganda. On the contrary, in love and war he learns from the example of his noble adversary Saladin that there's another side to the teachings of the Cistercians...

The Kingdom At The End Of The Road

Amazon didn't have that one :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 10:22 am 
Vala
Vala

My family got this DVD for Christmas, and we all really enjoyed it. I think Orlando acted better in this movie than any of the others I've seen with him in it.

The only real problem with this movie was it's portrayal of Christianity, and especially the way they made the Saracens seem more charitable and honoring than the 'Christians'. The Bishop was really annoying - he at least should have been there for the people, not the position....

Yeah, I watched the movie and then went and looked up the historical event. I thought it was interesting that several accounts of Balian record him as being extremely cruel. The movie was based off the account of one of his 'officers', though, so...

Another thing I thought was interesting was the Balian was a key character in negotiating the truce between Saladin and King Richard - obviously, he went back to the Holy Land.

The Knight's creed was really cool, too.

One of the things I really liked in the movie, though was the one bit of dialogue between the Hospitaller and Balian as they watch the Templars get hung:

"So they are being hung for doing what the Pope would command them to do?"
"Yes - but not God, I think, or this King."

I like how it shows that the Templars were acting on the orders of the Pope, who was not necessarily passing on a message from God to the people to go on a Crusade.

Out of the religious aspect of the movie, I really enjoyed the costumes and weapons in the movie, and I LOVED the music - I want to get the soundtrack. The part where Balian and his men-at-arms charge the Saracen cavalry was really good, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 12:36 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Lothril wrote:

Actually it was between the 2nd and the 3rd Crusades. I wish they made Balian a little more historically accurate. The entire thing with Balian in France was sort of out of place. FYI, Balian didn't want to defend Jerusalem. He was just going there to fetch his living wife (yes the real Balian had a wife and children in Jerusalem) after the battle of Hattin (the movie showed the aftermath with Reynald being executed, I understand why they didn't show the actually battle) but the people of Jerusalem begged him to defend Jerusalem. So anyways the opening scene could have been the battle of Montgisard where Baldwin IV defeated Saladin

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 11:11 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Who wins at the end??? Salahdin or Balian..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 9:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hehehe, I forgot about this thread! Well, I finally did see KoH a few months ago. I had gotten the soundtrack way before that, oddly enough. And I have to say that I liked the soundtrack more than the movie itself :(

Orli did do a good job, I admit. He still strikes me as too pretty-boyish to really inspire his men, but he acted well. Liam, for what time he had, was good. And the guy who played King what's-his-name did well.

I just thought it was a very confused movie. Almost nothing was done with the very confusing character of Sybilla - she's evil, she's good, she's cutting her hair to be a punk, she likes Balian, she resents him. And Balian's final speech at the end left me going "Huh??? Come again? Exactly <i>what</i> point are you trying to make?" He starts off saying the city should belong to everyone, then tells Saladin he'll defend it to the death, and....it just didn't seem very well thought through.

The violence was a little heavy for my taste, too. I realize war movies are by nature bloody, but as they did in Gladiator, it's possible to show that things are bloody and that someone just got skewered through the throat or something without actually showing the skewering.

But, Orli played a cool character. And the costumes and music was great.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2006, 3:33 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Still havent seen it... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next