Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Was Boromir weak?
Poll ended at September 6th, 2008, 5:57 pm
He was weak. No question. But he was there at his father's bidding. Give the guy some credit! 36%  36%  [ 30 ]
I don't think he was weak. I think he was strong. 59%  59%  [ 49 ]
He was terribly weak! I mean, c'mon! You didn't see anyone else trying to grab the ring every second they had a chance! 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 1:26 pm 
Elf
Elf

I think he was just a victim of curcumstance (Spelling?). I mean, you what they say, you can't choose your parents and having Denny as a Dad and then being in the ring's presence alot. He is one of the more harder to understand characters. But he really, in truth, was a good man.

~*PM Me for graphics*~

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 12:51 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I loved Faramir! He was soo cool! He was under so much pressure from Denethor, and all he wanted to do was please him. I think he did really well under all the pressure of everything, better than Boromir, and his dad didn't hate him!

Oh yes.. my very first banner! -evil laugh...chokes- ahem, anyway....
[

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 12:54 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Faramir was . . . I liked Faramir over Boromir - he wasn't proud, nor was he arrogant. He was a scholar over a warrior, he was kind and generous, and Illuavatar, he tried so hard to please Denethor, but nothing was good enough, he could never live up to Boromir, because he was not a warrior - he took more joy in peace and growing things, in Ithilian, rather than in warriors and battles.
He was noble, brave, but not proud.

Snow white, snow white, o Lady clear,
O Light to us that wander here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 3:32 pm 

I completely agree. I think Faramir was way better then Boromir but hey, don't shoot the messenger. It's just my opinion. I think it was completely unfair the way Denethor treated Faramir. What makes Boromir any better? Bormoir had his father's favour with him, unlike Faramir who had to do his father's bidding while living with the favourtism. All he wanted to do was please his father, and nothing he did was good enough, or so it seemed. I felt genuinely sorry for him. And I'm sorry if this offends any Boromir fans out there, but I really don't think it takes that much strength to be a warrior while you have your father's will with you. Faramir had to be a warrior without his father's favour with him. I mean, Denethor put him to shame in front of his entire court. And everything he did was faulty. Completley and totally unfair in my opinion and I think he was the stronger of the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 8:08 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I like both Boromir and Faramir, and although they're brothers I think there is a heck of a difference between them in this case. If you're talking about why Denethor favoured Boromir over Faramir seemingly unfairly Miluiel, then it might be worth considering that Finduilas (Denethor's wife) died giving birth to Faramir, explaining - although by no means excusing! - Denethor's favour of Boromir.

I do not believe that Boromir was weak; throughout the Fellowship he prove himself to be at many times brave, wise and strong. Yes, he was corrupted by the ring but I think (from a literature point of view at the very least) that his corruption by the ring was something which was necessary to demonstrate just how powerful the ring was and to aid in the personification of the ring, which the reader comes to fear.

I believe that essentially Boromir was a good, strong person and for proof of this we only have to look towards the end of the Fellowship (The Breaking of the Fellowship is the chapter name, I think) in which Boromir confesses to Aragorn how he tried to take the ring. I think at this moment Boromir's honesty is enough to show his strength, and though Aragorn's words to him it is possible for us to see that the Aragorn also considered him strong.

Jeez, that was long. xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 2:55 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I agree. (Also, I believe that Faramir looked more like Findulias than Boromir, making it more painful for Denethor)

And as to
Quote:
Faramir had to be a warrior without his father's favour with him.

We will never know how Boromir would have coped would he have been in Faramir's position. What would have happened if Faramir was born first? If he was favoured over Boromir? If he had been sent on the Ring quest? the truth is - we just don't know. So don't be too quicky to pass judgement on Boromir's strength just because Denethor favoured him!

I think we are safe to say that it is all Denethor's fault!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 3:49 pm 
Ent
Ent

i really like boromir! he was sooo sweet to his brother! XD i think he was strong and noble and i agree that he was a lil too proud but it wasn't his fault he was tempted by the ring.. it was the ring's fault!!!!! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 9:36 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Quote:
really like boromir! he was sooo sweet to his brother!

i agreee with that. Boromir was really nice to Faramir, he understood that Denethor was being unfair. And whether Faramir looked like Findulias or not, i still think it was really cruel, it's not his fault. Although, i spose i do feel sorry for Denethor..a little bit, he was pretty messed up. and losing Boromir probably didn't help.

Oh yes.. my very first banner! -evil laugh...chokes- ahem, anyway....
[

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 9:42 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Yeah, Denethor was messed up, what with being depressed over Findulias and Boromir, along with knowing that Sauron's army was totally MAHOOSIVE, it can really change a guy, but I think that favouratism is something no child should have to suffer - I mean, poor Faramir, he loved Boromir, but he was always being compared to him. Boromir also loved his little brother, and he hated the way the Denethor favored him. It's not fair, just becasue Faramir was less war-inclined and happened to have been the cause of Findulias' death - don't you think he would have been guilty about that, even though he couldn't help it? Poor Faramir.

You know, I've always wondered what kind of person Findulias was - she's one of those people often mentioned but rarely spoken of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 6:46 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I believe that Boromir was a strong and noble man. What he did he did it trying the best for Gondor. At least this is what he started doing. But as it is said, the hearts of men are easily corrupted. The Ring was too much for him and he could not stand it.

About Finduilas now. I always had her in my mind like a very quite and good person who everybody loves her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 2:03 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Back to the subject of Denethor, I wonder if him looking in the Palantir could also have been one of the reasons why he favoured Boromir.

After all, since he's aware of a huge army that are likely to beat the heck out of his country he's probably got a little more faith in Boromir to save it.

I like Denethor. Not as a 'nice' character, but I think he's really great in his complexity. Does anyone know when it was that he started looking into the Palantir?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 2:20 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I think Boromir was weak against the beauty and the power of the ring. But also ke was a very strong men, ke fights as a good Gondorian.

Bye.

Profile       WWW         ICQ    

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 6:29 pm 

My synopsis of the situation?
Denethor-disgusting creep, cruel to poor Faramir
Boromir-Nice to his brother, rather proud
Faramir-Very nice in all meanings of the word

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2006, 1:01 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

arggghh no ... boromir wasnt eveil .. he was just posessed by the power of the ring ... he was just weaker in resistance

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2006, 3:39 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

No I do not believe that Boromir was evil at all. He was as I said a proud but very ood person that was simply bent under the weight of the Ring. Do not forget that he was a human.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2006, 4:20 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

He was, and he couldn't help what happened to him.

And no, sorry, I don't know when he started looking into the Palantir.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next