Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2005, 1:07 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I thought Tolkien's description was quite interesting and lovely. I like the idea of the silver and gold rings in particular. :D

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2005, 7:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

^^I agree with all of you. Pretty weddings, lovely rings....it's all so.....pretty and lovely!LoL

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2006, 7:17 pm 
Vala
Vala

blooming_wood wrote:
did you notice that Faramir never smiled not even at the wedding?

No. I didn't. I guess tha means I have to go watch the movie again and look! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 12:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

Yes, he did. He smiled whenever he looked at Eowyn. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2006, 12:07 am 
Vala
Vala

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:
Yes, he did. He smiled whenever he looked at Eowyn. :-D

Yeah, I can see why. He and Eowyn are getting hitched! Yeah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2006, 6:20 pm 
Ent
Ent

I was really happy for her when she met Faramir. She finally found someone. I'm not saying she's stupid without a man, but it's obvious he makes her happy.

Um....shouldn't we be talking about Aragorn and Arwen's wedding? That is the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2006, 9:22 pm 
Vala
Vala

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:
Um....shouldn't we be talking about Aragorn and Arwen's wedding? That is the topic.

Yeah. But Faramir is so cool. Okay.
I bet Aragorn and Arwen's wedding would be very pretty. Back on track. Take it some one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2006, 5:30 pm 
Ent
Ent

This is random, but what do you think Arwen wore to her wedding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 2:10 pm 
Vala
Vala

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:
This is random, but what do you think Arwen wore to her wedding?

hmmmmm. Maybe a simple wite flowy dress with lace, and embroidered flowers, and the really cool looking long sleeves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 7:11 pm 
Ent
Ent

My guess would be something like she wore inTRotK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2006, 9:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Arsarniel wrote:
{i]The Eldar wedded for the most part in their youth and soon after their fiftieth year...

The Eldar wedded once only in life, and for love of for at least by free will upon either part.[/i] Even when in after days, as the histories reveal many of the Eldar in Middle-earth became corrupted, and their hearts darkened by the shadow that lies upon Arda, seldom is any tale told of deeds of lust among them...
Marriage, save for rare ill chances or strange fates, was the natural course of life for all the Eldar. It took place in this way. Those who would afterwards become wedded might choose one another early in youth, even as children (and indeed this happened often in days of peace); but unless they desired soon to be married and were of fitting age, the betrothal awaited the judgment of the parents of either party.
In due time the betrothal was announced at a meeting of the two houses concerned, and the betrothed gave silver rings one to another. According to the laws of the Eldar this betrothal was bound then to stand for one year at least, and it often stood for longer. During this time it could be revoked by a public return of the rings, the rings then being molten and not again used for a betrothal. Such was the law; but the right of revoking was seldom used, for the Eldar do nor err lightly in such choice…

After the betrothal it was the part of the betrothed to appoint the time of their wedding, when at least one year had passed. Then at a feast, again shared by the two houses, the marriage was celebrated. At the end of the feast the betrothed stood forth, and the mother of the bride and the father of the bridegroom joined the hands of the pair and blessed them. For this blessing there was a solemn form, but no mortal has heard it; though the Eldar say that Varda was named in witness by the mother and Manwe by the father; and moreover that the name of Eru was spoken (as was seldom done at any other time). The betrothed then received back from one the other their silver rings (and treasured them); but they gave in exchange slender rings of gold, which were worn upon the index of the right hand…

But these ceremonies were not rites necessary to marriage; they were only a gracious mode by which the love of the parents was manifested, and the union was recognized which would join not only the betrothed but their two houses together…
In happy days and times of peace it was held ungracious and contemptuous of kin to forgo the ceremonies, but it was at all times lawful for any of the Eldar, both being unwed, to marry thus of free consent to one another without ceremony or witness (save blessings exchanged and the naming of the Name); and the union so joined was alike indissoluble. In days of old, in times of trouble, in flight and exile and wandering, such marriages were often made.

Wow, nice research! I read Morgoth's Ring and the elvish culture is pretty facinating, but don't they marry when they're fifty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2006, 6:05 pm 
Ent
Ent

Elves marrying at 50?Umm...never heard that before. I think I heard somewhere that they were married at 100. Not sure, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2006, 6:06 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

i think that eowyn and aragorn would have been cute all arwen did was sit around like a damsel in distress and wait for her hero to return but eowyn went out and did somthing

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2006, 8:58 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I'll refrain from commenting. :)

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2006, 9:14 pm 

saerwen wrote:
i think that eowyn and aragorn would have been cute all arwen did was sit around like a damsel in distress and wait for her hero to return but eowyn went out and did somthing

Ah, but you see saerwen, Aragorn and Eowyn would have never been happy together. Arwen helped Aragorn to settle down in life and to become what he was born to be; a king. Eowyn wanted to fight, and be part of the action, with Aragorn they would have always been out fighting and in action never stopping to smell the roses. That's how Faramir fits in.

Faramir is definitely meant to be the restraining factor for Eowyn. He helps her see that she has other skills which she can put to use. He slowed her down just enough so that she could look around her and realise that fighting is not what she wanted to do.

Yes, Eowyn did fight, but I think it was because she did not yet know who she was inside and her destiny. She wanted to fight like the others just to prove herself, but in the end [with Faramir's help] she found that she did not need to be herself and prove herself through strength of arms at all.

On to Arwen...

She had to stay home and be the damsel in distress, because, truth be told, she was in distress, grave distress. Actually, she had practically just given up her life. This was probably pretty shocking for her, and she was probably not going to rush out to tell Aragorn what she had done for him with the knowledge that he might be dead. I don't think she wanted to suffer that kind of knowledge on top of everything else, so she chose to stay and wait. Maybe the burden of anxiety was a lot lighter for her than the burden of knowing her true love was dead. So, she stayed like any faithful daughter should and Aragorn returned for her in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2006, 7:49 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Okay, I guess I will comment. Larael, I agree. Also, the love that Eowyn had for Aragorn was not a real love. It was hero worship. Aragorn recognized this himself and comments on it in the book. She loved Aragorn as a great hero and a king of men, but she loved Faramir as Faramir. Besides, if she married Aragorn we would have missed one of the sweetest scenes in English literature.

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next