Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 1:27 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Hmmm i've seen it and i loved it but i think its one of those movies which you can only watch once. Otherwise it is too boring.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2006, 2:20 am 
Istari
Istari

Ha I loved this movie .
During the movie , my mom and my mom's friend went with me and during the wqhole movie my moms friend ket on leaning over and wispering to me
' Who's that cute guy in on that big screne on the Big wall'
or when they kissed she covered my eyes and I was much relived when I got it for Valentines Day !
I love it though when he's in the car during that scene where he laughs and gets mad and then cries and then is all thoughtful. Its like Orlando's our own Smegol in the movie ! :-D

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 3:04 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I saw the movie in theatres, and I must admit, I wasn't too impressed.

Now, I have nothing against Orlando, but I just don't think he chooses roles that play to his best abilities.
I think he's a bit better in more period-piece type movies, but that's just my opinion.
I think it's the type of film that you either love, or you hate. As much as I respect Orlando (even though I think his acting talents wane at times), I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 12:23 am 
Elf
Elf

Well, I finally got round to getting this out on DVD and watching it.

solitaryrain wrote:
Now, I have nothing against Orlando, but I just don't think he chooses roles that play to his best abilities.
I think he's a bit better in more period-piece type movies, but that's just my opinion.

I can understand why he has started to do things that aren't period pieces. Actors just hate being type-cast. And only doing period pieces wouldn't do much for having a wide variety of acting skills. He is getting better. It's taken years to convinse me that he's got any talent, but I'm actually now enjoying watching his acting improve dramaticallly with each film. I have a feeling PotC 2 will have more than Johnny Depp holding it together, lol. Now Orlando and Kiera both have a bit more experience.

Elizabethtown wasn't the best, I must admit. But for once I don't blame the acting. That was fine. And the plot was good too, so I can see how actors could get involved thinking it's got a chance of being a really great film. But what I found was that it lacked something. The plot never really picked up speed. There were bits that were really good, but every now and then it would slow down. There wasn't really a definable climax.

Of course, that may be because I was watching it 5 minute sections, lol. I was meant to be cleaning my room, so I had to stop watching when ever mum came in.

I'm planning to watch it again tonight, and I'm hoping I'll change this opinion a little. None the less it was a nice movie. A feel-good movie, if you know what I mean. :P

But Orlando was good in it. As cute as usual. :swoon: And he did the American accent well, even though there were one or two moments when his enlish one slipped through. Or maybe he just couldn't laugh with an accent. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 12:35 am 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

Celebwen those were great points, I thought the chosen actors; Kirsten, Orlando, Susan, all played well in their parts and the plot of a man who has nothing left finds that life is just a road trip with ups and downs, you just have to keep going to get to your destination.

The overall film was great and well thought out, but as most people have pointed out the movie never had a real climax or a rising and falling action, it was just one continous film.

Though being bias I loved it all the same and thought Orlando did quite well in his first non-period piece. His american accent was good and shocked me the first time I had heard it... where did Orlando's british accent go, but it worked well with the movie.

Thanks for reminding me I have to watch it again Celebwen :)

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 12:42 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I thought the continous feeling worked, it was like the whole film was a road trip because a road trip doesn't have a real climax...it just ends at your destination.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 12:16 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Quote:
I can understand why he has started to do things that aren't period pieces. Actors just hate being type-cast. And only doing period pieces wouldn't do much for having a wide variety of acting skills.

Oh, I understand why he's gone away from period-pieces, and I also quite understand that actors and actresses hate being typecast. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't get it.

I just meant to say that even though it dips into the realm of typecasting, period-pieces seem to suit him better than "real-time" movies, though he made an effort with Elizabethtown and I commend him for it. And I don't mean to say that he should stop making "real-time" movies, as that does give him practice and helps him build his skills, and that's a good thing for him to do.

I also agree that Eizabethtown doesn't have a definitive climax, which is, I think, one of the reasons I could never truly enjoy it. It seems that with some movies the climax is the definitive "like or hate" moment for me, and this was one of those movies.

But even if I didn't truly enjoy it, it's always nice to see familiar actors on the big-screen once more. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 8:14 am 
Elf
Elf

solitaryrain wrote:
I just meant to say that even though it dips into the realm of typecasting, period-pieces seem to suit him better than "real-time" movies, though he made an effort with Elizabethtown and I commend him for it. And I don't mean to say that he should stop making "real-time" movies, as that does give him practice and helps him build his skills, and that's a good thing for him to do.

Yeah, he does do period stuff better. :) I watched it again (in one sitting this time, lol!) and although it held together a little better, I still noticed the lack of climax. But I was in an adrenalin-craving mood. :P I think it's a movie that would be good to watch when you're not wanting the adrenalin rush involved in action films, or the seriousness of a documentry. Just a comfort-film. :P If that's the right word for it. Some one tell me that I'm making sense, and it's not just my imagination. Please.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006, 8:23 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Let me begin by saying that Orlando is not my favorite actor. I don't normally find him that outstanding *but I do love his voice and his smile*. I watched Elizabethtown twice already. It was that good. I loved it. Every part of it was well done. It was long, but definitely worth all the time spent watching it. My fave part was probably when he's standing by the coffin and its a close up of his face and he's making all these funny faces.

All the acting was great. You should definitely see this one.

:bounce: Sam

<a href="http://www.dance-to-this-beat.net"> Dance to this Beat</a>
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006, 2:57 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Argh, I still haven't seen it. I HATE Denmark, don't ever move to here. DIdn't come to a theatre near me... And I ahven't found it in the stores on dvd. Helllp helllp

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006, 8:32 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Internet?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2006, 5:25 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Erm...uh....amazon.com? I'm pretty sure u can import DvD's...or...wait. I am still stupid. EVERYONE here speaks fluent english...right?

Sam

<a href="http://www.dance-to-this-beat.net"> Dance to this Beat</a>
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2006, 2:50 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I really liked the movie, Orlando was good and I think the whole movie was really really sweet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I don't understand why Drew didn't want his father cremated?

^ Thanks Haldir o Lórien

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 6:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

xXshe's a pirateXx wrote:
I don't understand why Drew didn't want his father cremated?

yeah i really didn't get that part.
but i liked the movie i thought it was good. it was just fun i guess you could say. i mean just one of those that you can enjoy on a rainy day or something. just a fun movie to watch.

Ericadawn wrote:
I thought the continous feeling worked, it was like the whole film was a road trip because a road trip doesn't have a real climax...it just ends at your destination

exactly. you put it exactly how i feel about it. i just couldn't find the words.

and i thought orlando was good in it. we are so use to seeing him in period films and i think it was good to see him do something different and i though he did a good job.

2nd by arwen
[^%&]

Last edited by manwathiel on November 11th, 2006, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2006, 12:11 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yea. When my mom actually told me she was gonna rent it, I never heard of it and thought it was gonna be a period film, but no! I loved it. I was, at a time obessed with it. 11 times in 6 days... then I got bored. ^^ That was about two months ago though... I ahould watch it again. *owns it*

solongandgoodnight<3.</center>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next