Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2005, 1:03 pm 
Ent
Ent

Eä wrote:
Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:

Not to sound stupid, but are you being sarcastic about flying to Valinor? They didn't have anything to fly with in Middle-earth.
Well, actually I might have wanted to be funny in the first place and I was about to edit it, but then when I read it over, I thought about Eagles... just very randomly... Or the way Elwing was carried by the birds... or was she granted the bird form from the Valar... don't quite remember. But the story is beautiful! Anyway, my point (how lame it might have been put) was that no one enters the Undying Lands without the permission from the Valar.. sorry...
*goes to hide in a corner in shame*

That's a good point. I never thought of it that way, with the Eagles and such....No, don't go hide in shame!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2006, 9:01 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

DaBoss wrote:
hey, well my stupid question turned out better than i thought...thanks you guys are very knowlidgable.

<cheers>

erm they could all hop onto Gwahir and his mates...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2006, 9:03 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Elf Lady Alane wrote:
They leave 2 the Undying Lands, that is their origianl home ofcorse, right?

Ah that's fine my Elf friend, Ea :)

yes, as Elrond said at the end of the film "the sea calls us home...." i think thats right, not sure of the exact words, sorry.... :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2006, 6:09 pm 
Ent
Ent

Not all of the Elves in Middle-earth came from Valinor, but some did, like Galadriel.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: July 15th, 2006, 9:44 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Eä wrote:
Well, actually I might have wanted to be funny in the first place and I was about to edit it, but then when I read it over, I thought about Eagles... just very randomly... Or the way Elwing was carried by the birds... or was she granted the bird form from the Valar... don't quite remember. But the story is beautiful! Anyway, my point (how lame it might have been put) was that no one enters the Undying Lands without the permission from the Valar.. sorry...
*goes to hide in a corner in shame*

That is a beautiful story and I apreciate you bringing it up. (I did get your point in the first place :-D )

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 5:52 pm 

Thank you Sinbearer - and I believe Elwing_Star_Spray appreciates the story as well.. :)

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:
Not all of the Elves in Middle-earth came from Valinor, but some did, like Galadriel.

That's true, but didn't they all have the longing in their hearts to return to the Undying Lands they had never seen?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 10:00 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

well if i remember correctly the elves well the exiled elves could only travel to tol eressea(i think its spelled that way) but it was a few months since i read the LOTR trilogy

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2006, 8:03 pm 
Ent
Ent

Eä wrote:
Thank you Sinbearer - and I believe Elwing_Star_Spray appreciates the story as well.. :)

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:

That's true, but didn't they all have the longing in their hearts to return to the Undying Lands they had never seen?

Yes, but didn't the first Elves have that longing in them, and that was passed down to future generations of Elves? Sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't been on here for awhile (Sorrysorrysorrysorry), and I haven't picked up the books in a while (again, sorrysorrrysorrysorry).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 10:42 pm 
Vala
Vala

^^ You are all correct if I recall what I have read over recently. I'm reading over the Silmarillion for the only-Eru-knows-how-many-times. Yes, I think the longing to see the Immortal Lands would have passed down to each generation. I agree with all of you. Yup, and if it's all wrong well I'll be a hobbit.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2006, 1:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, I will give Telpeaths Interp. Well, in the beginning, all elves came from Valinor, because I think it was Iluvitar who sent the elves to sing (spread nature in the lands of Middle Earth). I think they fell in love with what they created, so they stayed, but they knew they would have to return someday. At the end of the third age, when the one ring was destroyed, the power of the three rings was completed, and there were no more reason for them to stay. So, they left back to Valinor, to be with their creator, Iluvitar.

Others such as Frodo and Bilbo were asked to come to Valinor because what they did was great. They help preserve nature, protected the lands from a second darkness, and prevented the return of Sauron. This, in Iluvitars mind, was worthy enough to be invited to Valinor. And so, by traveling by boat, they sailed to the undying lands.

Now a key thing to understand is that it is the undying lands. Well, the elves survive until the end of days, but I am not sure about those that have not been blessed with immortal life, such as Bilbo and Frodo

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2006, 2:05 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

They would eventually die, but be eased of thier burdens during the remainder of their lives. They would then accept the "Gift Of Men", and die peacefully when they chose to.

Very few of the elves in Middle-Earth had ever been to Valinor, and only two names spring to mind (Galadriel and Glorfindel).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2006, 11:13 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oh okay, so thats it. So basically they chose when to die, or at least when they would be most happiest to die. I get it! I wish they made a movie about them returning to Valinor, but Oh well!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 7:55 pm 
Ent
Ent

Telpeath wrote:
Oh okay, so thats it. So basically they chose when to die, or at least when they would be most happiest to die. I get it! I wish they made a movie about them returning to Valinor, but Oh well!

That would be awesome, but I think only a handful of people around the world would understand that.

I understand a bit more about Frodo and Bilbo going to the Undying Lands bit a little more now. Thanks! :-D

High School tomorrow!!! :blink: :confused2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 10:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You are most welcome!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2006, 7:55 pm 
Ent
Ent

Hmmm...I wonder if anyone else besides Frodo, Bilbo, and Gimli were allowed to the Undying Lands...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2006, 7:07 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

They dont go to Valinor like Ea thinks but they go to Tol Eressea, the lonly Isle just east of Valinor, but the exiles cannot go back to Valinor and Tirion. :explode: 8)

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next