Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olwë
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 9:42 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

i dont know so much about Olwë exept that hes lord of the teleri elves in aman and he is or rather was elu thingols brother and that elmo is his little brother

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 11:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

elmo? you mean elwë, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 4:31 am 

You want to know about Olwe? To be perfectly honest there isn't much to tell as he did not play a huge part in the happenings of middle earth at any time. To tell you most of what I know, I will quote the Encyclopedia of Arda, as it words it better than I could.

[And no, Velcayelde, Elmo and Elwe are different beings, as partially described below]

Quote:
A lord of the Teleri, the brother of Elu Thingol. When Thingol was lost in Beleriand, Olwë took the lordship of those of his people who wished to continue to Aman, and led them there. He rules the Teleri at Alqualondë on the shores of the Blessed Realm.

Notes
1 Olwë appears to have belonged to the first generation of Elves, who awoke at Cuiviénen rather than being born. If this is true, however, it's hard to explain the fact that he had two brothers, Elwë; and Elmo, so it is at least conceivable that he was born while the Elves still lived in the distant east, rather than awakening there.
2 The -wë element of Olwë's name means 'one' (as for example in Ingwë 'first one' or Finwë 'skilled one'). The ol- syllable, however, is obscure. It is possibly related to the same root ulu- seen in the name Ulmo, meaning 'pour' or 'flow', but there is no direct evidence to support this idea.

So there you have it, and I hope that helps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 7:41 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

that i did already know, but thanks anyway

Namárië

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 4:08 am 

Well, then you knew all you needed to know. Or, more accurately, all there is to know :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 7:42 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I'm sure there'll be more information about him in HoME somewhere. If I come across anything I'll let you know.

I personally hate Olwe. Instead of taking a weapon and trying to fight off the Noldor himself he just cried and called for Osse to come and help him, that doesn't seem like something an Elf lord would do

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 12:08 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

which HoME book do you think it is in?

Post subject: Re: Olwë
PostPosted: February 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
zimoo wrote: I personally hate Olwe. Instead of taking a weapon and trying to fight off the Noldor himself he just cried and called for Osse to come and help him, that doesn't seem like something an Elf lord would do.

But do we know this? The Silmarillion relates that when the Feanoreans began to take the ships, the Teleri withstood them, and cast many of the Noldor into the sea. A bitter fight ensues, wherein three times the Feanoreans were driven back, and many were slain upon either side -- then Fingon and folk arrive and help fight the Teleri, who had less strength and were armed for the most part with slender bows.

Olwe is not specifically mentioned in this description, but given that, I'm not sure we should necessarily fill in the silence with the Lord of Swanhaven doing nothing. True, the King later calls upon Osse to hinder the stolen ships, but that's after the battle had been lost, and after a great part of his mariners had been wickedly slain. And it was Uinen who cried, weeping for the mariners of the Teleri. So while Olwe did call upon Osse, it was only after the battle and in desperation to save the white ships, which were to the Teleri as were the Noldorin gems to the Noldor: "the work of our hearts, whose like we shall not make again."

Quote:
Darrell quoted: 2 The -wë element of Olwë's name means 'one' (as for example in Ingwë 'first one' or Finwë 'skilled one'). The ol- syllable, however, is obscure. It is possibly related to the same root ulu- seen in the name Ulmo, meaning 'pour' or 'flow', but there is no direct evidence to support this idea.

Tolkien actually discussed these names in a late text called The Shibboleth of Feanor, but for Olwe, Elwe, Ingwe, Finwe he gives no certain etymology, though it is explained that the suffix -we derived in origin from an old word for "person". It's noted here that the first elements were often later explained as related to 1 [Ingwe]) Quenya inga 'top, highest point", used adjectively as a prefix, as in ingaran "high-king" 2 [Finwe]) Common Eldarin PHIN "hair", and 3 [Elwe]) the stem el, elen "star".

Then Tolkien explains that of these later-made connections, the most probable is the relation to inga, revealing that the Vanyar called themselves the Ingwer, and that their king's proper title was Ingwe Ingweron "Chief of the Chieftains". Tolkien then notes that the others are doubtful, and that the name Elwe seems invented to go along with Olwe "for which no 'meaning' was suggested"

We also have a fun and interesting footnote here (in my opinion anyway) with respect to Olwe: that there arose a connection with Telerin vola "a roller, long wave", though this was not a serious etymology, but a kind of pun, for the king's name was not normally Volwe.