Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Was Boromir weak?
Poll ended at September 6th, 2008, 5:57 pm
He was weak. No question. But he was there at his father's bidding. Give the guy some credit! 36%  36%  [ 30 ]
I don't think he was weak. I think he was strong. 59%  59%  [ 49 ]
He was terribly weak! I mean, c'mon! You didn't see anyone else trying to grab the ring every second they had a chance! 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83
 Post subject: Powerful effect
PostPosted: July 21st, 2006, 1:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Caunion the Frost Lord wrote:
Though Aragorn was older than Boromir and had also fought against Sauron's armies, Boromir lived closer to the threat than Aragorn which is why he wanted the Ring more desperately.

That is an interesting thought! I can see how living how living so direly close to a threat could make you more desparate for a solution...any solution. That must have have played its part in what Boromir felt and did and made the lure and temptation of the ring nearly overwhelming.

Last edited by Sinbearer on July 22nd, 2006, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 12:28 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Caunion the Frost Lord wrote:
Though Aragorn was older than Boromir and had also fought against Sauron's armies, Boromir lived closer to the threat than Aragorn which is why he wanted the Ring more desperately. All of this is what I think, nothing more.

That's a good point.

I don't think Boromir was weak. Even the strongest can be corrupted by the ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 4:18 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

For me He was weak.Noble but weak...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 4:10 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Why weak? Because he was corrupted by the Ring? Even Gandalf lost his temper when Frodo offered him the Ring. Does this makes him weak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 9:32 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Ya, I didn't like Boromir at first but then I grew to like him. Its sooo sad when he dies. Proud and noble but weak in other ways.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29th, 2006, 11:47 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Lhunardaien wrote:
Boromir was a wonderful character, but he was also, as all the men, obsessed by the Ring. But that isn't strange, because the Nazgul were human as well.. I loved Boromir, you could see how sad he was that his kingdom was going to fall under the eye of Sauron and the hordes of Mordor..

i agree and it was so sad that he died after he was sorry about what he had done to frodo. if he had lived he wouldnt of ever had to go through the ring thing again. :bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2006, 8:33 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Uhm yep, I don't think he was so weak, he was influenced by the Ring, yep, but everyone was and we don't consider them weak people. Anyway, the Ring made a bad work on Boromir, it was let's say worst than with the other, I dunno if you see what I mean.
And well, Boromir had the pressure of his ambitious father on his back, you know.

Since I met u, I knew you were special :) thank you for everything Fer ^^
How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2006, 4:36 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

he wasn't neccisarely "weak", but he wasn't neccisarely "strong".
he was sort of... scared, I guess.
But there were times when he was strong.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2006, 10:24 pm 

Maya wrote:
he was sort of... scared, I guess.

Ya know, I think you are the first person to ever mention that Boromir may have been scared. I can see where this is coming from actually.
I wonder if Boromir ever feared his father, or rather, feared what his father would do if he didn't do what was asked of him. We always see him as the "perfect son" doing his fathers every bidding. It makes me wonder whether Boromir really wanted to do some of these things. Did he really want to bring the Ring to Gondor, or was this just his father speaking through him? It's a different way to look at things, and I think I'll have to give it more thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2006, 10:38 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I think he was strong, but rather foolish sometimes. I'm not a big fan, but you've got to give him credit. He was just as weak as we'd probably be.

Well, :-D :annoyed: :blink: maybe not...

[& = ! $ ?]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2006, 7:28 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

i siafd he was strong

</center>

Post subject: Fear....
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:14 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Interesting comments Maya and Larael. Boromir afraid……hmmmmmm…..At first I was tempted to dismiss it as crazy. Frodo afraid, maybe, but not strong, courageous men like Boromir.

But then I started looking over some of the comments about Boromir and some of the things he said.

“It was when this need was greatest that Boromir shared a dream with his brother, Faramir. The dream filled him with fear and hope.”

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing?"

"Warning? Against what? We're all afraid, Frodo. But to let that fear drive us to destroy what hope we have… don't you see, that is madness?"

Yeah, so its true, Boromir was afraid. Larael, what you said about Boromir’s past I think is so true. Robin Williams said, “The things which we fear the most in life have already happened to us.” Sure, most of us would be afraid in battle but the things inside us are what we are most afraid of. And those things often are formed in our childhood and by the way we are raised.

And Aristotle could have been talking about Boromir when he said, “I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self.” It was a hard victory for him indeed.

In the end, fear is the basis of courage. The famed WWI flying ace Eddie Rickenbacher said it best, “Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared.”

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2006, 3:32 pm 

Sinbearer wrote:
In the end, fear is the basis of courage.

You have perfectly summed up my feelings on this subject! All those quotes show exactly how Boromir feels through his entire journey. I especially like the one said by Eddie Rickenbacher, it really shows that every emotion stems from something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2006, 8:04 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

wow that's a good opinion Sinbearer! i have to agree with you on that!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2006, 9:31 pm 

alright lemme start this he was weak because he tried to take the ring in an attemp to save his kingdom at the very end seems he realized that there was more to power than the ring to me he discovred the power of pure will seems to me that he was all the strggles that everyone was going through, he wanted to prove that he could do better than what he had already let the others see, he was weak....but as time went on and he saw all the troubles and struggles of others...he grew string..

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2007, 10:27 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

He was proud, strong, but he wanted the ring so much. He swore he would protect Frodo, but he didn't , he tried to steal the ring! I think he's weak.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next