Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 10:26 am 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

^ I really loved Arwen as well. I think it was a shame that she wasn't in the books more. It would have been nice to get to know her character better. I did like it though when they told the tale of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendices. I thought it was so beautiful. I read that before I read any of the other appendices, just because I was looking forward to it all story long. :)
To Telpeath, or anyone else who feels Arwen's marriage is unacceptable, I suggest reading that story. It might make you see that they were truly meant to be together.
I know it can be kind of hard/ weird to be in love with a fictional character. Because they can't really love you back. But on the plus side, they cna't hurt and rejec t you either. So if you really want to have your fantasies about Arwen, go right ahead. But just because you love her doesn't mean that the man she loves isn't the right one for her. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 12:11 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tel,
Jealousy is a terrible thing :explode: ...lol
As a fellow guy, I to would love Arwen, as she epitomizes the "perfect" mate. Stunningly beautiful, wise, and loving, but also wise enough to look past Aragorns hair, to see the MAN inside. She gave up so much for him (her eternal life) in the end, and deserves so much more praise then we mortals can give.

Translation of the blade.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 7:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

^ Very Right you are. Tinuviel's Tears, I am not sure if you read the last hunderd posts, but I understand since I wouldnt either. I simply said that the marrage was unexceptible cause I didnt think aragorn was the right mate. But by studing the love story of Berin and Luthien, it shows the deap love. So, ealier I exepted the marrage. Then we began discussing if Arwen was the perfect choice for aragorn. But, to defend myself, I did state earlier that I have given up on the unapproval but we are currently talking about a longer marrage or if they were really compatable.

I want to make this friendly, but from time again I must imform viewers a change of opinion.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 8:28 pm 

I'm proud of you Telpeath for changing your mind about this issue. I remember when I first saw your post, I though "Oh dear, another Aragorn hater!", but now I know better. You listen to others thoughts and even if you disagree you are still respectful. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 8:33 pm 
Vala
Vala

I apologize. I didn't mean to offend you or something.
It's true about what Larael said. You do listen to other people's opinions and thoughts. You're not overly stubborn. You're open to change. I admire and respect that.
Once again, sorry if I offended you or something.
~T.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 12:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oh that is quite alright. Yeh, in this thread you almost see a change in the way I think, and I no longer hate Aragorn!!! ^_^ Thanks for the kind things you said, but there is still much we can discuss here, like the prolonging the wedding thing.!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 2:12 pm 

Wait a minute! Would you mind clueing me in on this? I haven't been around for the last couple of pages. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 4:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think they were talking about how in the movie, we never see Aragorn and Arwen's wedding. He just kisses her and we're supposed to assume that they're married.
I don't think that we were meant to assume they were married after that, but I think we're suppose to assume that they are going to be married in the future. It would have been nice to see their wedding, as you all said. An Elvish wedding. I wonder what it would be like.....
It would give us all a good chance to bruch up on our Elvish phrases, that much is certain. I think it must be very beautiful though.
This is all of course assuming that they would have an Elvish wedding. She being Halfelven, and he being raised by Elves, I cetainly think an Elvish wedding would be the most natural thing, but they may not have decided to get married in that fashion. After all, if there had to be an Elf to preside or something, there weren't many Elves left by them to do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 5:36 pm 

According to the book, [since this is in the book section] Arwen and Aragorn were married on Midsummer, which would have been about 2 months after the crowning of King Elessar on 1 May [by the Shire reckoning].

As for what their wedding would have been like one can only guess based on what they have read. A traditional Elvish betrothal and wedding [according to "Morgoth's Ring"] would have gone as thus-

Quote:
In due time the betrothal was announced at a meeting of the two houses concerned, and the betrothed gave silver rings one to another. According to the laws of the Eldar this betrothal was bound then to stand for one year at least, and it often stood for longer. During this time it could be revoked by a public return of the rings, the rings then being molten and not again used for a betrothal.

Whether this happened between Aragorn and Arwen, I can not say. Continuing on-

Quote:
After the betrothal it was the part of the betrothed to appoint the time of their wedding, when at least one year had passed. Then at a feast, again shared by the two houses, the marriage was celebrated. At the end of the feast the betrothed stood forth, and the mother of the bride and the father of the bridegroom joined the hands of the pair and blessed them. For this blessing there was a solemn form, but no mortal has heard it; though the Eldar say that Varda was named in witness by the mother and Manwë by the father; and moreover that the name of Eru was spoken. The betrothed then recieved back one from the other their silver rings; but they gave in exchange slender rings of gold, which were worn upon the index of the right hand.

If there had been an Elvish wedding, I believe Galadriel would have stood in for Arwen's mother, and Elrond for Aragorn's father. Anyhoo-

Quote:
Among the Noldor also it was a custom that the bride's mother should give to the bridegroom a jewel upon a chain or collar; and the bridegroom's father should give a like gift to the bride. These gifts were sometimes given before the feast.

Besides these things, it was the act of bodily union that achieved marriage, and after which the indissoluble bond was complete.

:teehee: I think we all know what that means without an explanation.

All that info comes from the book "Morgoth's Ring" a companion novel to the Silmarillion. It's a really good read, and really goes into detail about the customs of the Elves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 5:43 pm 
Vala
Vala

^ Very interesting and informative. Thank you very much Larael! I think I shall have to go out and try to find that book now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 8:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

Wow, thanks, Larael!! That's very interesting.. and I also definately am going to go buy that book!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 8:48 pm 

It's part of the History's of Middle-Earth series, which ultimately revolves around The Silmarillion. It really did make for an interesting read. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 8:58 pm 
Istari
Istari

Oh, cool. What are the other titles of the books in the series?? I'll definately have to find them!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 5:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

Can you find them at any old bookshop, or do you have to do some looking around for them? Because I'd really like to have them, but I don't think I've ever seen them at any of the bookstores that I was in, and I always look at the Tolkien section. oh! And yes, the other titles please! :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 8:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

I also look in the Tolkien section in each bookstore I go to. :) I already have all picked out which have the biggest and best selection and everything. :P I've never seen those before though, and I'm annoyed with myself that I let some Tolkien books slip through my fingers!! Ah well, now I'm really excited to read them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 10:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really would like to read that!!! I need to go check it out!!! But it seems like a elven marriage is more coplicated than I thought ^_^

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next