Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2005, 6:56 am 

It's ok, Arien (May I call you that?), I figured that was what you meant!

Concerning Legolas and Greenleaf... now I brought it to my attention (!) I keep thinking of it... Tolkien uses that, right? Legolas Greenleaf?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2005, 6:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Wow, I never realized that. Undomiel being Elvish for Evenstar? Interesting news. Though I knew that Evenstar was correctly pronounced "ee-ven-star". Eh-ven-star? Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks for explaining. (Does Arwen even have a last name? Or do elves not have last names at all?) :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2005, 4:56 pm 

Eä wrote:
Concerning Legolas and Greenleaf... now I brought it to my attention (!) I keep thinking of it... Tolkien uses that, right? Legolas Greenleaf?

Yes, Tolkien does use Legolas Greenleaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 9:35 am 

Elberethsq, I copied my post on Elvish names from the previous page. I hope you'll get your answers here otherwise feel free to ask again :angel:

Eä wrote:
Oh, this eternal subject on elven names... ;-)
Well, elves don't have last names in the sense we use it and I don't think that was what you meant either, Arien Elensar.... :angel:
If anything they have 'titles' like Elrond Peredhil (which translates into Half-elven because of his blood-line), Arwen Undómiel (translates into Evening Star because of her beauty), Lúthien Tinúviel (translates into Nightingale because of her beautiful voice).

Legolas is called Greenleaf in the Common Tongue.... but now I think of I can't remember any good reason for that? Is there a reason why Tolkien writes Legolas Greenleaf while speaking of him? Why wouldn't he simply use Thranduilion (son of Thranduil)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2005, 4:17 pm 
Ent
Ent

Kitoky wrote:
Legolas = Leafgreen

Leafgreen Greenleaf...

How funny ^.^

:duh: Silly me, I thought that was actually his name...

^ Thankyou so much everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 12:57 pm 

Hehe, it is his name, that's the whole point!

Pretty Titanic banner, Alessae :angel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 8:09 pm 
Elf
Elf

Quote:
Eä wrote:
It's ok, Arien (May I call you that?), I figured that was what you meant!

Of course! You may call me anything you wish. :)

Yup! Tolkien calls him Legolas Greenleaf, Legolas, Master elf and Tharandulion.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2005, 9:21 pm 

*sings* Legolas......oh how I love thee.....

Okay that was kind of weird I just had this sudden urge to sing random words about Legolas.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2005, 9:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Eä wrote:
Elberethsq, I copied my post on Elvish names from the previous page. I hope you'll get your answers here otherwise feel free to ask again :angel:

Eä wrote:
Well, elves don't have last names in the sense we use it and I don't think that was what you meant either, Arien Elensar.... :angel:
If anything they have 'titles' like Elrond Peredhil (which translates into Half-elven because of his blood-line), Arwen Undómiel (translates into Evening Star because of her beauty), Lúthien Tinúviel (translates into Nightingale because of her beautiful voice).

Legolas is called Greenleaf in the Common Tongue.... but now I think of I can't remember any good reason for that? Is there a reason why Tolkien writes Legolas Greenleaf while speaking of him? Why wouldn't he simply use Thranduilion (son of Thranduil)?

Oh thanks so much! That helps. I didn't see it on the previous page. :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2005, 9:15 pm 

Everyone here is so helpful!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2005, 4:49 am 

Eä wrote:

hmmm yes very interesting indeed. So if Greenleaf is not legolas's last name? what does it mean? i know it means his first name aswell, but why do they call him greenleaf? couldn't they call him something like..legolas the archer except "the archer" pronounced in elvish? eh ... any ways yes...undomiel is translated in english to evenstar. Undomiel is a very royal and beautiful name,very much suited for arwen i suppose :)..wish i could have a title like that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2005, 4:20 pm 

Hehe Elia, I think Tolkien is the only one who can rightfully answer your question :angel:

The elves who have titles (Elrond, Arwen etc.) are all royal or of noble blood. Tolkien seems to just mention the fact that Legolas is a prince almost like an excuse for him to be present at the Council of Elrond so he gets to be a part of the Fellowship. Tolkien emphazises his skills as an archer and a warrior whereas Arwen fx. is a princess and must act as such and therefore can't marry Aragorn before he proves himself worthy.
Uhmm, I don't know if I answered your question at all.... I think that elves just aren't used to last names at all so for them Legolas would work out fine but for the rest of us who aren't fluent in Sindarin we get the translation....

Did last names matter so much in 'old days' and in Middle-earth after all? Wasn't the family name more important, who your ancestors were and ones father and mother...? So Aragorn is Son of Arathorn, Legolas is Thranduillion(sp?) ....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2005, 5:52 pm 
Elf
Elf

Actually I think you did answer it Ea. I agree with that fact that it seems as if Tolkien made Legolas royalty only to sneak in an elf into the fellowship. Well he went about it well enough, though could have added more.

Actuallly last names mattered quite a bit in the old days here. They were the "family name" and being part of a certain family gave a person an automatic reputation.

But in Middle-earth they aren't exactly last names, they are titles, each has a different title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2005, 12:44 pm 

Arien Elensar wrote:
Actuallly last names mattered quite a bit in the old days here. They were the "family name" and being part of a certain family gave a person an automatic reputation.

But in Middle-earth they aren't exactly last names, they are titles, each has a different title.

Well yes...true, what I meant was that last names didn't exist in the old days but each person was just a part of a clan or family and represented the family as a whole. The family name was sort of 'sacred' and each deed or action a person would take would immediately reflect to his family and he too was judged by his family's reputation... :angel:

(Silly post, I know...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2005, 5:53 pm 
Elf
Elf

No, it's not silly! but I think it's the same thing as having a last name, jsut with mroe signifacance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2005, 1:30 pm 

Yeah, I'm with you Arien and that's why I felt silly for going on with this :angel: