Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 8:32 am 
Vala
Vala

Hah. I read approximately one every three days when I went through the series...:P I don't think it's possible to read them too fast. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 2:34 pm 

Wow, haven't come in here for a while. To begin with, RJ. I was shocked when he died. I mean, I'd been expecting it because he was sick, but he'd been doing so well! And I didn't think he'd go this soon. And I must admit, I want to know if someone will help finish the last book. I'll go crazy without it ending!

Ah, welcome to the WoT fandom Aerlinn! These are the best books in teh world. :D And you can't read them too fast. Pretty much, once you read them once you just go back through them again and again and again... or maybe that's just me. :teehee: Anywho, you MUST read the beginning of 3. Mat is totally awesome in it. Not that he isn't every other time. But he takes on...yeah, I'll shush now. I just love it though.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 2:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yay! Greetings once again, Nurr!

I share your sentiments about RJ--that was my reaction as well.

:blink: The beginning of 3? The Dragon Reborn? Um....*tries to think of a way to ask the question without giving spoilers to Aerlinn* Um....yeah. Nevermind.

Anyways, Aerlinn--just fyi, Mat is the ultimate character ever for a series. :D And Rand rocks, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 6:37 pm 

Aerandir wrote:
Yay! Greetings once again, Nurr!

I share your sentiments about RJ--that was my reaction as well.

:blink: The beginning of 3? The Dragon Reborn? Um....*tries to think of a way to ask the question without giving spoilers to Aerlinn* Um....yeah. Nevermind.

Anyways, Aerlinn--just fyi, Mat is the ultimate character ever for a series. :D And Rand rocks, too.

Hey, long time no talk! [Right that was bad. Movin on...]

Yeah, the beginning of DR. You know, where Mat's being healed and *cough*totallyrocksashetakesonG&Gwithhisstaff*cough* Best part ever.

Yessss....you will soon learn, Aerlinn, that Mat owns all other fictional characters. He has a cool hat and an ashandarei. :P Niice. That sounds like something I would do. Every time we go on vacation my bag is piled high with books. I hardly have room in my seat in the car!

Moraine and Lan...so good. I love those two. And GAH! I need to know about the whole thing in MoL that I can't know now unless someone finishes it!! AAAAH! Man, this whole no spoiler thing is hard.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 6:44 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Yay I can post here now without being petrified with fear of spoilers cause I'm finished Knife of Dreams :)

I'm wondering if saying this should make me fear for my life...but what's the big deal about Mat? Personally I prefer Perrin and Egwene for best main-ish characters. Mat doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Heh, on vacations I'm scared I'll run out of books, so I always end up with a whole extra bag for them. And I generally carry a book around in my purse - because you just never know :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2007, 6:50 pm 

*runs after Melda* :jedi: No likes Mat? DIE!

:P Tis okay. We won't kill you. Cut off an arm, perhaps.... Egwene is one of my favorites as well, and I like other charries, but Mat is the best. He's just -cool! He has--- wait, can't talk about it all for fear of ears that aren't supposed to hear. My lips are sealed.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 11:28 am 
Vala
Vala

*dies* RAND ROCKS!!!! And Mat's even better. Melda, I'm afraid that we have to...um...start a Mat-Haters-Haters club. :D That means that Nurr and I will be forced to dislike you. :P

Aerlinn, Rand only gets cooler as the series goes on. As does Mat. I won't say anything about Perrin, because it won't be complimentary. <_<

Haha--when I go someplace, I take my backpack for the exclusive purpose of carrying a soda and my books, basically. I can fit something like over a dozen novels (safely, without bending the pages) in, and then of course, I might just take more with me. When we flew back from the USA last summer (2006), I had 25 books spread out between my backpack, suitcase, and carryon. :D Go devouted readers!....we should start a radical readers club, specifically for us. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 6:10 pm 

Yeah, and talk about how no one else seems to understand the need for two books at a time!

Ah Aerlinn, tis okay. I disliked Rand very much starting Great Hunt all the way through the first time, but after reading them again and getting more in depth I have much more appreciation for him. Though I wouldn't consider him a favorite, he's not my least favorite anymore.

:lol: A Mat-Haters-Haters. How horrible. Yet so needful at the same time. :P I keed! We still accept you Melda [as a WoT reader, we must!] but we may need to persuade you a bit.....

heh heh heh.... :vampire:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 10:09 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Sorry, can't say Rand does a *whole* lot for me either. Plus I think the whole Rand/Min/Aviendha/Elayne thing is just bizarre. I don't know any females who would put up with that, I don't care if Aviendha IS Aiel. Perrin, however, I quite like. The whole wolf thing is very cool. Why does nobody else like Perrin? I mean, true love...*melts*

^This no-spoiler thing is hard. Conversely, Egwene drives me insane at the beginning and I like Nynaeve, whereas by KoD I loved Egwene and Nynaeve annoyed me.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 6:09 pm 

Which just shows the true magic of RJ. He can make really believable characters because you hate/love/are infurated with on a given basis.

Perrin...well, he was great at the beginning. Then with the whole Faile Faile Faile! all the time..that got a bit annoying. Then When she got kidnapped, he got really annoying as he did nothing but have Faile in his head. Though KoD definitely brought him back up into my regard. Just not as high as others *coughEgweneMatcough*
I suppose my best illustration of that ^ whole Perrin annoyance is when he is coming back to Cairhien after Dumai's Wells. Here Rand is trying to take care of a rebellion and all he does is...well, read it with my thoughts in mind.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 6:51 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Well, I sorta found Perrin a bit refreshing after Mat and Rand, cause Rand practically has a harem and it's only in KoD that Mat FINALLY chooses a girl whereas Perrin actually gets...yeah. And I thought his concern was so sweet :P Though yes, I am a hopeless romantic.

Egwene's awesome, though. Especially in KoD, you pretty much want to get out the pompoms and cheer for her. *loves Egwene*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 8:39 am 
Vala
Vala

I agree with Nurr's sentiments almost exactly.

The only big difference is that I think Rand is the second-best character, and she doesn't. But her opinion of Perrin is identical to mine, so far.

RJ was a genius. I ♥ WoT.

And Mat is the best.

Egwene is definitely cool as of the end of KoD, but Rand is cooler yet. I suppose you'd all have to be guys to really understand what he goes through. I'm fairly certain that in his position, I'd have just about the same emotions though not concerning his harem. Aerlinniel, you don't want to read that yet.

Anyway, The list of coolest characters goes Mat>Rand>Egwene>Lan>Perrin/Thom>Talmanes/Furyk Karede/Chel Vanin/Rhuarc>Aviendha>Min>Elayne>Approximately all other characters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nynaeve.

I really, really, really, really don't like Nynaeve. In the first book, she was really extremely frustrating. In KoD, she's still really extremely frustrating. She has managed to remain in that same spot the entire story, in my opinion. I don't like her. :grr:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 12:30 pm 
Vala
Vala

:blink:....are you referring to both New Spring and The Eye of the World as "the first book"? It's starting to confuse me. :confused2:

Siuan's mostly funny, in my opinion. I laugh in almost every section concerning her.

Mat rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 1:51 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I liked Nynaeve at first. She just...doesn't seem to have a really wide range of emotions. Either she's mad or irritated or snappish or sulky, never really anything past that. I, too, am a liiiittle perplexed at Lan's taste in that respect. Plus it took me forever to figure out how to say Nynaeve. I sat there in the middle of the first book going "Nigh-nay-eve? Nay-neeve?" and was rather mad when I discovered the glossary AFTER I'd finished the book and suffered through trying to figure out 'Aes Sedai' and 'Nynaeve' and 'Egwene' and 'Amyrlin'.

Where's Tuon in your list, Reindeer? I still don't know what I think of her. Sometimes I like her and sometimes she annoys me SO much.

My friend Matt started EotW the other day :P Mat...Matt...hehe.

Melda *does not* think Mat rocks. He's okay. I don't hate him or anything. His proclivity towards being attracted to pretty much any and every woman he meets IRRITATES me. Actually...you know who else irritates me? *remembers to use little letters for spoilers* Birgitte. Again, not extremely wide range of emotions.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 11:10 am 
Vala
Vala

Tuon is.....on par with Talmanes, Furyk Karede, Chel Vanin, and Rhuarc.

And I disagree with your opinion about the other person who you think has a narrow range of emotions and is consequently boring or whatnot. I think she's cool.

Yay for people starting WoT!

Melda. That is your most disappointing factor that I know of. You don't think Mat is cool. MAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! O_O You must realize that! I. shall. make. you. realize. it. HAHAHAHA!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 2:17 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I never said I didn't think he was cool :P I said he didn't do a lot for me, I said I didn't like him, and I said I didn't think he rocked. I do think he's cool. Take note of the fact that I am not *cool* and my characters don't tend to be either. Hehe.

She doesn't remind you of Nynaeve? Meh, I don't really like her. I guess her one saving grace is that she has a braid, she just doesn't tug on it.

Gosh, I need to read WoT all over again now. *Wonders dismally when I'll ever have time*

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next